Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
outdoor germination recs?

Posted by chilemilio 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 13:51

In the spirit of spreading the heat, i've given a variety of chile seeds to people at work. i've been showing my setup and tracking spreadsheets to some, and I think it is scareing them into thinking that they need to do the same for their seeds.. I don't really have outdoor space, so my experiments have been confined to apartments/balconies. Does anyone have any tips for newbie gardeners wanting to simply put the seeds in the ground, and see what happens? maybe including protection from rabbits and deer?

Thanks and regards -E

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: outdoor germination recs?

I have never had luck starting peppers in the ground. I would start them in small cups or bowls and then transplant them when they have at least 4 leaves. Keep them in the shade till they are at least a foot tall. Then gradually work them in the garden. A pit bull will keep the deer and rabbits away. Just kidding. You can fence in the garden our use some cages over them .

o

I have always had great luck with planting seeds right in the ground. Weather be peppers or tomatoes. I just water them everyday to keep them moist. They always grow great for me.

o

Thanks for the reccomendations!.. I'll pass these along

Regards, -E

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here