Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clee22_gw

Why isn't there pollen for pollination of peppers

clee22
11 years ago

I have some jalapenos and a habanero plant that is about 2 feet in height. And they are bountiful with leaves and flowers. However the flowers are not producing any pollen. I always attempt to self pollinate but it just isn't yielding any peppers. I am currently growing them indoors please help I have been maintaining a several plants but have yet to produce any peppers =*(...I don't want to give up and I am open to all ideas. Also I am using Empire builder soil and distilled water. Please help a pepperless garnder.

Comments (20)

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Are they getting sufficient light? They won't produce if they aren't getting equivalent to sunlight.

• clee22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I use a fluorescent shop light and place it inches above it...there is easily an excess of 50 flowers...but all are pollen-less. I want to take them out but I am morbidly afraid of them not surviving in outdoors. What do you think?

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Are you also morbidly afraid of telling people where you live? (Profile == 'United States") We can't recommend anything about outdoors unless we know.

If the weather is right, you should grow outside. There is no good alternative to the sun.

• ab2008
    11 years ago

If you have a window that has some sun you could probably move them over next to it and they might start producing. How warm is it where you're located? They won't produce peppers under shop lights though. If it's in the 60's or 70s you could probably start sitting them out once you harden them off. Shop light works to get them started, but to grow and produce they need better light.

• clee22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in California and I am relatively new to this so I am trying to update profile. And thanks DMF

Ab2008 I will try to move it to the window and the temperatures at night spike below 60's here, as I noted I live in southern CA. I was hoping to keep them indoors to prevent pest. But I will harden them off asap in the window. I greatly appreciate the advice thank you all.

• ab2008
    11 years ago

I'm sure they'll be fine lol, most places right now 60 is what it might reach in the day time. Harden them off and get them outdoors if it barely drops below 60 at night.

• clee22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ab2008 I have been pampering them too much lol. All I want are peppers for goodness sake...so what are you growing?

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Well we will eventually have a bit of everything, corn potatoes etc. But peppers, i have around 40 variety right now. Some sweets, and up to the nuclears.

• clee22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW any spare seeds lol...I am embarrassed now...I have habaneros and your nuclears OWN mine. And you must be a professional!!!! I dream to get to your level one day...what kind of soil do you use?

• clee22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am near tears in admiration...dear lord that is an amazing LIST...are you selling peppers? or seeds I would love to taste the nuclear bad boys...hottest thing I can get here is habaneros. And you sir are an honest to goodness Pro! I've come to notice that there are an ample amount of gardeners and farmers of peppers in TN. I reckon that is the PEPPER HEAVEN! I've been going through the forums and have found a significant amount of information. I am blessed to have stumbled on this site especially with members like you and others who are willing to help. I appreciate it dearly thanks!

• ab2008
    11 years ago

The sweet peppers will sell all day long, those are easy. Habaneros here at most markets can go upwards of 5-7$ per lb.

But that's because most people getting into the city will spend the money because it is 'fresh.'

Lol and please don't call me that. And I wouldn't sell the seeds. If you happen to need any that I have extra seeds I would be more than willing to send your way.

I received most of my seeds from generous and helping members on here for free, and would do the same in return.

• clee22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am seriously touched beyond belief! I dont know how to thank you or what to truly say...I feel blessed! Your advice and generosity is humbling. Thank so much!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

lack of flower-set....
    Immaturity, too hot or too cold during the day, too hot or too cold during the night, not enough nutrients, too much nutrients, too humid, too dry, not enough air circulation, lack of pollinators, too much grower attention ;-)
    ~ courtesy of Willard (from the Hot Pepper Forum).

In other words, relax and give them time. My superhots drop hundreds of flowers before they get going.

Josh

• clee22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the advice n possible issues. I will try to just lay off and harden then by the window for now.

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

clee22......I have some extra seeds. Are you looking for anything in particular? Send me an e-mail with your address and I'll send you some seeds. Good Luck!

Tim

• jwgodron
    7 years ago

My neighbor and i have started trying to grow super hot peppers. We have started this last year. Our young seedlings about two inches high seem to be in a dormant stage for about two and a half months with no new growth. Any suggestions?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would look at the light and heat situation. Have they been getting enough light? Have they been getting artificial or real unfiltered sunlight? What is the temp that they are being kept at? Another possibility is nutrients. What kind of soil is it in and what kind of fertilizers have you been feeding them.

By the way, this thread was three years old until you revived it....LOL.

• Donna R
    7 years ago

Peppers are self pollinating...like tomatoes. You need to grab the stem and shake the plant to help the pollen move to fertilize the plant. You don't have wind indoors to "shake" the plant, so you have to do it. Some people use electric toothbrushes to do this on tomatoes and peppers.

• Mat N/a
    4 years ago

@ab2008 ha, So I'm in Texas and I'm having the same problem as him. No pollen, mine are outside. They've been outside all summer. They've probably dropped 600+ flowers which makes me want to cry. my plants are anywhere from 2 to 6ft. I've got habs, naga dorset, mazano, trinidad scorpions, fatalii, aji, thai, and a few more i don't remember planting. Of the plants I have, the Aji and the habs (occasionally) produce pollen. Temps are roughly a 100 here. They might be dying from the heat. They are also in pots. Sadly, I've grown them on the balcony synthesizing my own nutrient fertilizing goo for them. I don't think i can move them at this point. I was thinking the heat might be killing the roots or something of that nature. I don't water them too much. Also, if i could get some of them seeds, that would be great, buying them online is nearly impossible. I order manzano peppers and got datil or fatalii. granted I like those but still. Next year I'm moving my crop out to the farm. This balcony business isn't working.

Sponsored