Trinidad Scorpion Butch T - Worlds Hottest Pepper

ThePepperSeed
13 years ago

Can't wait to try one...

Here is a link that might be useful: ButchT TS Video

Comments (43)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Watched the video this morning....looks good!

Josh

• tsheets
    13 years ago

Wow!!! Hard to imagine that they can keep making hotter and hotter ones!

• smokemaster_2007
    13 years ago

They didn't make it.Like the Naga Viper etc.
    They are a strain of Trinidad Scorpion not a Hybrid they just crossed.
    Butch was growing out some of the Jonah strain and noticed a pod variation and kept the seeds from that plant.
    He has been spreading those seeds around for several years.
    A lot of Chile heads already have known about their heat for a while...

• fiedlermeister
    13 years ago

Grown in 2008 showing various pod shapes. They were, according to my notes, red- I don't know why they look orange here. Notes also say extremely hot! Beyond a certain point, for me,they are just too hot and I can't judge degree of difference.

• skyclad
    12 years ago

Has there actually been testing done to validate that it's the world's hottest??? Somehow I'm skeptical it's hotter than a Bhut Jolokia. A test needs to be done on this at a reputable institution (like NMSU) for this claim to be valid. Does anyone know if this has been done yet?

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

It's been tested.
    1.4 million+

Here is a link that might be useful: one of the tons of articles about it

• tsheets
    12 years ago

If you watch the video, near the end they show the score sheet from testing.

• biscgolf
    12 years ago

sounds legit.... unlike naga viper...

• souf
    12 years ago

where and when will these be available for purchase? ive gotta try these!!

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

Several places sell them.

Hippy seed co. for 1.

Nothing on your trade list...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yep, it sure looks legit. I wish I had gotten on board this year with them. I will give them a whirl next spring but by then, there will be claims of other chillies hitting 1.5 million scovilles. I am pretty new to pepper growing so my Bhuts will be enough fun for this year.

• Orozconleche
    12 years ago

Omg I want to really eat one, Im a Pepper eater fanatic, just had an Habanero and I was dying lol and Does anyone have any of the Trinidad Scorpion pepper seeds to trade?

• biscgolf
    12 years ago

what have you got?

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

No E Mail or trade list...

• hotpepperbob
    12 years ago

Thehippyseedcompany.com sells the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T

Just ordered 10 seeds...$ 8 for 10 seeds..plus 3 bucks for postage
    These folks have a good rep..will follow up, (new member)
    I specialize in Bhuts...can not wait to taste 1.4 mill
    scoville units...

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

Oroz, I don't think you understand how hot that pepper actually is. You say you were dying from a Habanero, that weighs in at between 200k-300k scovilles.

The Bhut Jolokia comes in at 1.1 million scovilles. The Butch T at 1.4 million.

I've grown the bhut before (and just sowed 13 more for this year), I've tasted one. It is so far past being hot that it enters the realm of pure quintessential agony. And I don't mean that in a cute way, I mean it is liquified death. It does not taste hot, it does not taste like anything except soul scarring pain (I hear the truly hardcore can dig a flavor out of them, but its beyond me).

Seriously, if you can't handle a Habanero, the Butch T will first make you afraid you will die, then make you afraid that you won't.

Not saying don't grow them, they're awesome peppers, but truly understand these are not toys. I want to say they're as much hotter than a habanero as a habanero is to a bell pepper, but its not. Its many times worse than that.

• mbellot
    12 years ago

"Seriously, if you can't handle a Habanero, the Butch T will first make you afraid you will die, then make you afraid that you won't."

Edymnion - Sounds like an old girlfriend... LOL

Bhut Jolokia's do have an interesting taste, and I'm trying my hand at the Butch T this year - Just sowed four Butch T seeds along with four Numex Twilight, two Christmas Bell and two 7 Pot Douglah.

I didn't start my Bhuts until mid-March last year and the wait for August to get peppers was agonizing, so I decided to start a couple months early this year.

• hotpepperbob
    12 years ago

mbellot,,,

Have been growing Bhuts in southern Indiana for 6 years..
    I start, in a germination box, on Jan 15th..raise in a greenhouse till 1st week in May..then plant outside..
    Bhuts start in June, and go on till frost..am trying Butch
    T this year...on the same schedule

• jsschrstrcks
    12 years ago

"Seriously, if you can't handle a Habanero, the Butch T will first make you afraid you will die, then make you afraid that you won't."
    ---
    Thats awesome... I just screen shot that and saved it to my computer...

I have about 20 Butch T's growing this year :D

We shall see how hot they are... I'm hoping to make a sauce out of them... I made about 4gal of habanero sauce last christmas... Certain of my familly didn't think it was hot enough. SO I'm upping the ante... No seasoning... Just puree of Butch T.

*evil Chuckle*

• Soulfire
    11 years ago

I'm attempting to grow these this year for a friend. It's way too hot for me to handle, Habaneros are about as hot as I can go and have it still be enjoyable. My friend is convinced he can handle anything and I have seen him eat Bhuts and actually enjoy it, so we'll see.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I would love to see a person eat a Bhut or Butch T or Morich. I just cannot imagine someone being able to do it without regretting it nearly immediately. I understand that those people do exist but I would just like to see someone do it in person. Make sure you film him when he eats it. You don't want him claiming it "wasn't so bad" after the fact.
    Bruce

• jcav8ter
    11 years ago

Do a search on Youtube, plenty of them there. No one says it wasn't bad, fun to watch.

John

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

John:
    I have watched dozens of those videos. I get a kick out of them but I want to see someone do it in person. Someone I know would be preferential. Yah, I know, my friends love me too.
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

I get them to eat the peppers in a very unconventional way.

I call it "Satan's Piss". It is cheap Seagram's rotgut vodka with bhut jolokias infusing into it. Its coming up on oh, about a year old now. I started with one big bhut last year and have been tossing in smaller ones from this year's harvest.

I love taking it to parties. There is *ALWAYS* that one stupid manchild that all you have to do is tell him "You're not man enough to drink a shot of this." and they'll practically fight you for a shot of it, even after you tell them what it is.

I've tasted it (not dumb enough for a full shot, but I've tasted it). The vodka completely kills the heat... until you swallow. The capsaicin dissolves in alcohol so you can't taste it. The idiot always swishes it around trying to figure out whats so special about it. Then they swallow, and their body heat evaporates the alcohol left in their mouth, which leaves behind a nice even coat of pure burning hell all over their mouth and throat.

I usually wait the requisite 20-30 minutes for them to stop gasping and choking before I give them a friendly reminder that its just as hot coming back out. >=D

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

EDY, I would like to party with you some time.
    Bruce

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Edymnion,

Not sure about your taste buds? I tossed a couple of orange habs in a 26er of Smirnoff vodka and after 3 months you can definitely taste the heat. I haven't been brave enough to try it with Bhuts let alone ButchTs or Morouga!!!

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I use 1 orange hab in a 750ml bottle of tequilla for making spicy margaritas - and that's plenty hot! I can't imagine actually drinking a bhut spiked beverage! LOL

• missourijack_1
    10 years ago

I recently planted some Trinidad Scorpion Butch T seeds, and after a series of unfortunate events, I have but one seedling left. It is important to me that it lives, but I have a predicament. My grow light situation is quite pathetic and it is still quite small at a month old. I will be able to put the plant outdoors in about a week but I am worried it is stunted from low light levels for the past month. It is green and strong, just small. Does it look stunted? Will it be fine once I get it outside?

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

so. i saw someone hinted that the Naga Viper wasnt legit, EXPLAIN as im growing about 5 plants right now!!!!

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

The viper ended up being very unstable.
    From what i read,it was released too early.
    These days there is a lot of $ in any seed that is claimed to grow anything hotter than the last hottest...

I think it may have been one of the ones that had the record for 2 seconds before the Butch T got the current record.

Like the Morouga,heat varied in the viper from hab. hot to Lava from plant to plant.
    It's been a couple years,maybe it is getting stable now(in heat etc.).

I doubt it or they would start pushing it again.

I don't remember if it tested close to the Butch T or not.
    Seems it was a little lower,not sure.
    It was in the ballpark but most people were not happy with the stability and that a lot of the seeds seemed sterile.

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 0:57

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

I just read this post because this year, for the first time, I am growing bhuts (red & chocolate) and Butch T's. However, I understand that Butch T has been surpassed by the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga. Is anyone growing this? Would like to have some seeds for next year.

• missourijack_1
    10 years ago

I would like to make a correction. I do not have a Butch T pepper, it is actually a Moruga blend, but I thought they were the same or similar.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

As i posted above.Moruga has tested from Hab hot to lava.
    Not consistant enough.
    That is probably why it hasn't or hasn't yet been submitted for the record.
    I think it tested at different times anywhere between 500,000 and 2,000,000 +/- units.
    It's in a post here somewhere and can easily be googled.New Mexico Chile Institute did the tests a year or more ago.

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 7:15

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

I have 2 Butch T plants going, one bought from Cross Country Nurseries and one grown from seed supplied by ottawapepper here on the forum. Also have one moruga bought from Cross Country Nurseries.

Will let you know which I think is hotter in a few months. :)

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

Does it matter where I got my Viper Seeds from? I got mine from Pepper Joe and maybe theyre true Viper seeds from him? I know hes reputable and I bought them looking for a pepper hotter than the bhut. Hope I got what I paid for....

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Pepper Joe isn't the original source for the Viper.

Depends where/who he got his seeds from.

From what I see lately he buys anything he can get and has people grow stuff out under unknown conditions at best.

IF the viper is still unstable you'll never know if you got viper seeds or a variation of the original viper.

The people I got my seeds from said they got different plants/pods etc. from what they grew from the chile co.

I don't remember anyone saying they weren't at least in the super hot ballpark,if they grew at all.

I did hear a lot of people saying their seeds were sterile though from when it was first released.

I'd think most of the seeds going around now would have to be from growouts and probably not from the original creator.
    But I don't know if the guy did more developing of it or not.
    Might be still trying to get it to beat the Butch since the Butch T wasn't that much higher back then.

With every pod variation being sold as a new strain or whatever these days.
    It's a crap shoot as to what your particular seeds will grow,no matter what your source was.

I personally trust your source less than almost any other vendor I can think of off hand.

In general,the hottest pepper I've tried was a toss up between Brain strain , Barrackapore and Butch T.
    All tasted like battery acid and once you get into that amount of heat they are all Lava hot.

I guess 2,000,000 is the next target range...

Here is a link that might be useful: Viper had the record before Butch T

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Smoke:

It''s funny how you mention that they taste like battery acid. I haven't tried any of the "carribean" based superhots, But I've had many habaneros and I don't care too much for their flavor. But the nagas(asian-based) I had last year were of excellent flavor... at least that's what I thought before the flavor was totally dominated by the extreme heat. :)

I'm growing those 7-pot's(carribean?) you sent me this year and I'll give them a shot, but if they have that "Hab" flavor, I think from there on out, I'll be exclusively going with the Bhuts and Nagas.

Are there any other "asian" superhots out there that I might like?

By the way, I am aware that ALL chiles originated in the Americas. ;)

Kevin

• bberkmor
    10 years ago

@ jifjifjif, I also have Trinidad scorpion butch T's from Ottawapepper. The three plants have almost a lateral twist in the leaves but look healthy, where as the bhut from him the leaves are nice and flat. Did your TS Butch T's have the same characteristic? Just curious. The Christmas bells from him, also 3 plants, have a weird downward leaf curl but feel crisp and healthy and deep green.

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

I have a question, I was send some hot pepper seeds. I am told the complete plant is black even the fruit. They also say do not eat the fruit. Has anyone heard of this pepper? My friend was able to harvest a few of these seeds which are grown for the beauty of the plant not the fruit. I have not yet tried to sprout the seeds but should do so soon. Thanks

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

bberkmor, nope. do not have tthat going on with my Butch T.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

There are several black/dark colored peppers.
    Black pearl,Black Cuban,Pimenta De Neyde and several more.

I can only think of Pimenta De Neyde that is purple/black when ripe.

ALL peppers are edible.Some just are hot with no taste or have no heat or taste.

There is a pepper looking plant though that is poison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_pseudocapsicum

It's called Jerusalem Cherry,Madereira winter cherry or Persimmons Ornamental.
    To me the Flowers don't look like a pepper

Here is a link that might be useful: pimenta dee neyde

• Matt_Collis
    10 years ago

Hello. I am a first time grower of chilli plants. I am growing a trinidad scorpion it is about 3 months old now. And just recently the newer growing leafs have become a bit deformed. Like lumpy, miss shaped and abut curled. Is the plant sick? Or am I doing something wrong?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I have found that many pepper plants exhibit this issue. I have also found that it usually isn't a problem. It seems to afflict the super hots more than other. I don't pay it much attention unless it gets real bad. I have a couple doing that now.
    Bruce

Sponsored
High Quality, Hand Crafted Shutters Custom Made for Your Space