Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

Blossom drop!

t-bird
12 years ago

Hi all - was so excited for my little peppers grown in captivity - but alas - the flower dropped, stem and all.

Is it normal to lose a few flowers at first? Like the plant is "practicing"? Or is this pointing to some deficiency?

so far - plenty of additional flowers on this plant, only 1 dropped so far as I've noticed...

thx!

Comments (8)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    12 years ago

Hi t-bird

Would not worry about just one, more than likely you will lose a few here and there. I have one flowering and another soon to flower indoors, and I lost two or so and not really worried. I would rather them not flower so soon and I am counting down the days until I can put them outdoors.

Last year temp was so hot for 3 weeks 100+ degrees nothing but flower drop, after it cooled all returned to normal and peppers resumed flowering and producing pods.

• tsheets
    12 years ago

I just vacuumed up a BUNCH of dropped blossoms this weekend. It is not uncommon outdoors, and even more likely indoors. It can be caused by any number of things (too warm, too cold, too wet, too dry, etc...), but, one additional factor indoors is the general lack of pollinating insects. If the flower doesn't get pollinated, then even if everything else is in line, the blossom will drop.

So, it's really difficult to say what the cause is and whether you should be worried or not. If the plant looks healthy in general, I wouldn't worry. If it looks sick in any way, start troubleshooting.

• t-bird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks - I will keep steady on the course, and see how it goes....

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yes, don't worry. When conditions are right, the blooms will get fertilized and make baby pods. Last summer my Bhut Jolokias were dropping dozens and dozens of blooms every day. Then all of a sudden, they started taking and I wound up harvesting over two hundred pods per plant by the end of the summer. i think it was prolonged heat for the blossom drop. Here is a photo of newly dropped blossoms. Not sure if you can see them all or not:

Bruce

• willardb3
    12 years ago

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
    2. Night temp too low 3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
    4. Too much water
    5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
    6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
    7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
    8. Lack of pollinating insects.
    9. Size of pot

1. Too much mineral in feedwater.
    2. Too much grower attention/anxiety.
  • capoman
    12 years ago

Willard nailed it. Once you get it outside and conditions aren't too hot or cold, you'll get lots. Seeing your zone, you must be indoors. Most likely causes indoors are lack of strong light and lack of pollination. Nothing to worry about. Once you get them out in the sun, they will be just fine.

• t-bird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the support!

2 peppers on the hungarian wax! I feel like a genius, lol! Or a mad scientists!

woohoo! success!

Wishing you all happy peppers!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Good for you and just wait until you get them outdoors this summer. Then they will put out a bunch. I have one pod on my over winter Hot Hungarian Wax right now. I will be picking it in the next day or two. I am interested to see how hot it is compared to summer time peppers. Someone said they had a pepper on their overwinter Hungarian and it wasn't very hot at all.
    Bruce