Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Aphids???

I brought home two grave vines yesterday and planted them today. Before I took them outside, I noticed some funny light colored nodules on the new leaves. I successfully battled aphids on my over winter peppers last fall and now I think I just reintroduced the little bastards to my house.

First, are these aphids and second, if these were kept upstairs and my peppers are kept down stairs, do I have to worry? How do they get from one plant to another anyway?

{{gwi:1155597}}

Bruce

Comments (12)

• fiedlermeister
    12 years ago

Looks like it but can't be sure from your picture. They will travel as there is a winged staged. I buy lady bugs to control them inside

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

And that's why I always 'quarantine' new plants ;-)
    John's right...they'll travel on the wing.

Josh

• User
    12 years ago

Uggg Bruce,

Like you haven't had enough issues the past while.

As fiedlermeister said, make friends with some lady bugs if you see signs of them in the house. If you don't have them naturally in your area, get some and release them by the vines to control them outside.

I personally never bring store bought plants into the house anymore. Too much risk.

Best of luck.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yah, thanks guys, I never even thought about them having pests on them. We do have lady bugs in the area. I think they will take care of the problem. I never had an issue with them outside all last summer. Supposed to get to mid 30's tonight, maybe that will freeze their little butts off.
    Bruce

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Nope, not aphids. Instead, normal secretions from the plant.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jean001a: Thanks. They didn't quite look like aphids. I couldn't see any legs. So secretions from the plant sounds like a possible answer. I hope so, I dont want to be battling those things already this year.
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

I saw a similar thing on one of my grape vines the other day. Small transparent globules about as wide as the ridges on your fingerprints. They were totally transparent, no sign of legs or internal structures. Didn't even look like eggs to me they were so clear.

I think I'm going to side with natural secretions of the grape vine as well, although I still sprayed them down real good in sevin to be on the safe side.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Edymnion: Nuke 'em and ask questions later eh?

Bruce

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure." -Ellen Ripley

I don't play games. Long as the natural predators are keeping things in check, I'm quite happy to let them do it. But when the word "infestation" comes up, its time for a white glaze.

My niece tried growing tomatoes "organically" last year. Her idea of organic meant no chemicals and no fertilizers of any kind. Was going fairly well until the hornworms found 'em and stripped her entire garden to the stem literally overnight.

I still tease her about her organically grown bug food.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

What a relief! :-)

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Edymnion: You are good for two laughs today. You get a chuckle pepper.

Bruce

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Yes, grape vine get the same droplets, as do okra. So relax.