Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madgoofer

New To The Hobby

MadGoofer
10 years ago

Hi ive never grown hot peppers before I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how to start in the hobby. I need to know what I need how to start the seeds if I am to late to start growing peppers in the season. I Was also wondering if anyone could tell me where to get seeds I want some Very hot to medium peppers. Thank you

Comments (13)

• flipback23
    10 years ago

Welcome to the forums. Im new as well but heres a simple list of whats needed to start them. You can either get a seed starting tray or use plastic solo cups. You want the dirt to hover around 80 degrees as well to speed up germination. So either a heat mat or above the fridge or above cable box will provide warmth. Once the seeds pop up you want to get them under lights sooner than later to prevent legginess of the seedlings. You want the light right above them like an inch or two. I use 2 48 inch 6500k T12 bulbs as my grow lights. You also want air circulation so a small fan with a gentle breeze will help strengthen the stems as well as prevent fungus. Im sure others will chime in that have more experience. As far as seeds go any big name store will sell them and some of the kind folks here may have some to spare if you ask nicely lol. I will hopefully have some to spread around next season assuming I grow everything right. Good luck.
    Rey...

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Welcome to the HOT pepper world.

If you have not grown peppers before, I would recommend just to buy seedlings from nurseries , plant them and grow them and in the meanwhile learn more.

I have been gardening for decades and this is my first year starting peppers from seed under lights. Not trying to discourage you but I can tell you that it is pretty involved.

• flipback23
    10 years ago

seysonn is right I didnt want to sound negative but it is much more work and attention than doing normal garden veggies. It can be stressful at times too but I like the challenge so if your up for it give it a shot. Just dont have super high hopes and remember its a learning experience as well. This is my first year from seed too and I have over 50 seedlings going strong so far knock on wood. But it has been stressful but also rewarding at the same time. the biggest reward same as any crop is enjoying the fruits of your labor come harvest time.
    Rey...

• MadGoofer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tnks for the advice on buying seedlings but I really want to Start from seeds but no stores around me sell peppers im looking for A nice variety of super hots and low to medium hots, the whole bunch. Anyone have any recommendations on Where I can buy some seeds to start my own pepper patch,tnks

From madgoofer

This post was edited by MadGoofer on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 20:04

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Go for it, madgoofer .If there is a will , there is a way.

I know a site tha has pretty good selection from super hots on down. It is called: The Sample Seed Shop. Most packs are for $1.50.

super hot: Bhut Jolokia,(red and chocolate)
    Semi-super hot : Habanero (many varieties),

Hots: Korean, Thai, serrano,

Medium hot/mild: Bishops crown, Jalapeno, Pasilla bajio, NuMex(Big Jim)
    ... much more ...

I think for a starter they have pretty good selection.

• jtight
    10 years ago

Welcome to crazy land.

I would concur w/ seysonn on starting w/ seedlings; however, I know it is hard to find what you are looking for.

Key is patience.

• MadGoofer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Am I to late to start growing im in Zone 9

• jtight
    10 years ago

No. You should be fine to plant. You have a longer harvesting period

• seysonn
    10 years ago

ARE YOU LATE ?

Maybe not. But you could've started 6 weeks ago. But no worries. You have a LOOONG growing season. They will catch up.

• MadGoofer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tnks Guys Im waiting on some seeds now from some cool members Tnks

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Ah, grasshopper. You seek the mysteries of weaponized fruit.

BE WARNED! There is no going back to normal. If you take this path you enter the land of the crazed gardener, and much responsibility - and possibly pain - will be heaped upon you. Should you survive, you will be granted the almighty endorphin rush and the power to gloat over the soft of mouth.

Suggestion: Start some seeds. But also buy some seedlings from the box stores. Lowes, HD, etc all stock Bonnie Plants, but Bonnie Plants hasn't set out any peppers (or tomatoes) yet. Check back in a couple of weeks. That way you can screw up the seed but still have pepper plants. And when you get the seeds going you will also have some exotic, DANGEROUS fruit that you would otherwise need a license to buy.

Good luck,

Dennis

• User
    10 years ago

LMAO @ DMForcier.

MadGoofer, what he said.

• ghostJalokia
    10 years ago

I am also new to hot pepper growing. I got all of my seeds on Amazon. Bhut Jalokia(ghost peppers) and trinidad scorpion peppers they were all super cheap like 10 to 50 cents a packet of 30. I am also planning on buying seedlings. Good luck.

Sponsored