Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decorative Useful/Edible Pepper for North Exposure

Posted by JoppaRich 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 15:57

I've got some space out front in one of the flower beds that I'd like to put something into. Ideally I'd like a good looking plant that's fruit doesn't get too hot. Something that I can actually use.

The spot is on the north side of a building, so its shaded by the building itself for a good part of the day, but is pretty much open otherwise.There are some daffodils that come up in the bed, so it does get some sun.

Any ideas on what to grow there? If you don't think a pepper is a good candidate, any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decorative Useful/Edible Pepper for North Exposure

Lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, bok choy, kale. Peppers like a lot of sun. If you have 6 hours or more of direct sun, you are probably ok. But if not, stick with leafy vegetables, some of which are quite decorative and don't require as much sun. I've also had luck with some cucumbers in less then optimal light that were also near daffodils. A bonus is that having lettuces and such on the north side can also delay bolting allowing a mid summer harvest.

o

After some thinking, I think there are a couple of varieties that people grow indoors on window sills. These may be appropriate for northern exposure and are also decorative. Thai varieties fall into this category, as well as some small purple pepper varieties.

o

The various ornamental peppers would do well here. They don't require as much light, can be very colorful, don't grow very large, and the peppers are edible (if not very tasty).

They tend to be pretty hot too.

o

That's kind of what I was thinking. The ones marketed as ornamental are often described as hot/very hot. I haven't really grown any so not sure what would be a good fit. But, NuMex Twilight seems to be a popular ornamental, not sure how hot they are or what they taste like or how well they do in that much shade. At least it's a starting point.

o

An ornamental, decorative pepper that I would recommend is the Fish Pepper which I grew last summer. It is a beautiful plant with variegated leaves, smaller colourful peppers with some heat, some of which are striped, chocolate coloured finally turning to red. I grew it on my front patio which is shielded by a large maple for most of the day.

o

Sweet Pickle is a nice ornamental edible. TGS is just one vendor that carries it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Pickle info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here