Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pepper player

Posted by Chuleta512 Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 16:16

Over the last few years i have been growing a variety of hot peppers. I have grown a reputation in my neighborhood for creating some of the hottest peppers my friends and family have ever had. I use all my peppers for meals and such this is how they know. my main question is if there are any ways avalible to put a number on how hot my peppers are on the Skovel scale. Maybe an at home kit to measure my little firery beasts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pepper player

Sorry, I Can't Answer Your Question About The Scoville Scale home Kit, But Which Types Of Peppers Do You Grow? Just Curious. Perhaps We Can Put A Ballpark Number On It For You.

o

I've got ghost and scorpions along with habanero I would mainly like to be able to just rate them by a scale number. Bit of a need when it come to science so was mainly trying to find a way to geek out and put a physical number on my peppers not just what the web will tell you what they range by. Thanks for the input tho. Greatly appreciated :)

o

• Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 15:27

If money's not an object you could purchase a High Pressure Liquid Chromatograph. You might find a used one for around 5 grand on Craig's list...

o

Ok great thanks for the info. :)

o

$300 bucks gets you this

Read the PDF as additional items are needed for the test kit

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Capsaicin Kit

This post was edited by habjolokia on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 17:52

o

Scoville numbers were originally assigned by human experiments. Tasters would rate the level of heat-inducing chemicals at various levels of dilution. Nowadays they use a chromatograph.

See the link for a list of where various well known peppers rate on the scale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia 'Scoville scale'

o

The periodic table, btw, is a little out of date.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here