Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Po' Man's Ditch Witch...

Posted by TomT226 8 (tdrathompson@hughes.net) on
Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 16:34

...if you're planning to put in drip or irrigation lines.
Old round-point shovel blade cut down to 6" wide. You need a mattock too to start the ditch and cut roots. Make sure both are sharp. Use a torch or angle grinder to cut it down.
Dig out the first couple of feet with the mattock, clean it out with the shovel, put your right boot in the ditch, dig two more feet, and clean it out, move up. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I can do 100' of 1' deep ditch with beer breaks in an hour.
In case ya'll want to do it the old fashioned way...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Po' Man's Ditch Witch...

Damn that's work....Where's the back rub ?.....doug

o

Wherever you can git it...

o

It really makes you appreciate the pay off, when you work so hard for it! Your work ethic is admirable. Keep up the good (hard) work!

Tim

o

I love this kind of works. The other day my nephew commented : "Uncle, you burn your energy in a useful way, I waste it" (meaning workout in the gym).
Amazing how people pay, to work instead of getting paid for their work. One of the reason for gardening, to me, is get some physical activities like digging, hauling, planting, WEEDING. The latter is very relaxing, like fishing, where there are no fish. hehe

o

seysonn et al:
LOL. Necessity is the mother of invention, and the father of fatigue.
Been a surveyor all my life, and believe me, I appreciate "breaktimes" and shade-trees, and most of all, quittin' time...

o

Haha: Made one just like yours, Tom. Not for digging trench or ditch but for edging the grass around the beds, etc. I hammered the tip a bit and made it near flat.
The cutting wheel on angle grinder did a fast job, maybe 15 minutes all together. It is a special garden tool with many uses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here