Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artichokeme

Habanero is SAD!

ArtichokeMe
10 years ago

My habanero is in a large pot with tomato potting soil. It is under my porch with eastern sunlight in the mornings. It is about 1 ft tall. When I first got the plant I didn't know I needed to fluff it's feeder roots out. I just put it in the pot. The leaves (a deep green color) started dropping. I looked on the internet for troubleshooting of the problem. I pulled the plant hosed the roots off fluffed them out . I replanted it next to my jalapeno plant where my tomato use to be. I added new soil and fertilizer. In a couple of days it started flowering like crazy and growing new leaves. Even though I have remarkable turn around in the plant the leaves and blossoms are fragile to touch and drop of the plant . The plant is sprayed with organic pesticide. The other problem I noticed after planting it next to my jalapeno my jalapeno leaves turn yellow and is dying !

Comments (15)

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

What did you spray on it?

• ArtichokeMe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

. The guy at the Nursery recommended bonide organic multipurpose spray for my artichoke plants . Its use is for pesticide, miticide, and fungicide . He did say it was good for tomato plants, too. I assumed it's okay for pepper plants also.

This post was edited by ArtichokeMe on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 18:36

• ArtichokeMe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another picture of it. It's the plant in the middle in the black box.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Artichoke:
    I posted a more in depth reply to your post under the "Post your Setup" thread. But basically, I think you need to get the pepper and tomatoes out in the sun more. An hour in the morning of East sun is not enough under most circumstances.
    Bruce

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Is not enough, period. Peppers are high energy plants that want full sun if they can get it.

And why are you spraying? Do you have a pest problem?

Dennis

• ArtichokeMe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dennis,
    my artichokes have an unidentified pest problem a small black flying bug it was chewing the stems of my artichoke and making holes in the leaves. I originally sprayed the artichokes only. The next morning I saw my tomato was attacked bc the bug can no longer attack the artichokes. So I sprayed all of my plants as a precaution.
    Andrea

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

When my sister grew Artichokes, they were covered in black aphids.

Josh

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Identify pest FIRST, then treat with the least impacting remedy first and so on. Precautionary treatment of pesticides is usually not a good thing, unless it's like maybe BT for caterpillars(very low impact on beneficial insects and very target specific).

Try to get a pic of the pest.

Btw, you might be overwatering and plants do need an adjustment period when transplanting.

Kevin

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Here's another picture of it. It's the plant in the middle in the black box.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That plant neither wilting nor dying, as far as I can tell from your picture. Wouldn't worry about yellowing some big old lower leaves.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I second Woohoo. identify first, then treat. Your pot looks too large for this plant. Soil that stays wet for too long can cause root rot leading to yellowing leaves.

Linda

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I see some older yellowing (sunscalded?) leaves on the plant in the red pot, where's the "dying" jal?

Blossoms will drop easily if touched, leaves shouldn't.

Are you planning on growing in pots all season, or are these going to be transplanted into the ground? Are you only giving then an hour of sun b/c you just potted up or you're hardening off (I didn't read other thread)? The plant(s) in the black box in the back look about the right size to be hardening off, but plant in red pot should have been out for a while already in your zone - aren't you going to be getting really hot soon?

A picture of the label would be good - is this insecticidal soap or what?

• ArtichokeMe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ajsmama- the plant in the red is my heirloom tomato. Its been outside for 2 months since I got it from home depot. The yellow on that plant is sun damage, or salt in the water. That plant is healthy and growing great.

my habanero is the problem it hasn't grown at all since I got it. I leave my plants outside its about 80-90 degrees already. The plant gets more than an hour of sunlight I'd say about 3 hours. I did move it to a full sun area yesterday. I plan on making a permanent garden area . I'm making plans and a layout today.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

A picture of the peppers you're worried about would be good, can't really see much behind the tomato and artichoke(?). I can see one in the black trough, I'm assuming it's the hab and not the jal? From what I can see, that pepper looks OK

Trying to figure out what the light green is on the tomato - twist ties? Seem too green for adventitious roots (also too high, but that could be an indication you're keeping it too wet). BTW, that tomato will have to go in the ground or a much larger pot - I'm assuming it's indeterminate? Will need staking too.

Go easy on the full sun for the peppers and tomato, if they've only been getting a few hours of morning sun. Even if they've been outside for weeks (months), if they've been shaded they can quickly get sunburnt. They will need hardening off to go out in full sun. In your climate, the pots will dry out quickly, and roots can get overheated in pots so even if you can't grow in ground, you may want to bury the pots (esp. the black one) to keep the roots cooler.

You might want to try posting on your regional forum - I'm in much colder zone but if it's that hot already there, I don't know if you'll get much of a harvest unless you can keep those plants alive for 6 months until it starts to cool down. Peppers like it hotter than tomatoes but still I don't think they'll set fruit much over 90 degrees - that could be why you're getting blossom drop.

What type of tomato is it?

• ArtichokeMe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My tomato is a big beef heirloom . It does have a stake in the ground next to it. It is tied with the light green kite string loosely. I'll find a sunnier spot under the patio until I build my garden area.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Big Beef is hybrid, not heirloom, but that doesn't matter unless you're trying to save seeds. But it is indeterminate and mid-late season (about 75 DTM), I don't know how to figure DTM when you're growing in a pot, but if you put it in that larger pot 2 months ago then *maybe* you will get some tomatoes next month (I'm sure not in 2 weeks!), but I don't see any blossoms. Good luck, I hope you get fruit set before it gets any hotter.

Still don't know if there's anything wrong with the peppers.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County