Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lifecycle Growth Questions

Posted by kosherbaker LA CA-10 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 16:50

Hello Everyone.

Here are a couple of pictures of my Purple Tiger that I got through a seed exchange with a local fellow noob gardener here in LA. :) I sprouted it in a 3oz cup, in planting soil that is sold dehydrated and you add water to it to rehydrate it. Sorry am not sure what it is called. Anyway, after it sprouted I transferred it into its current home which is a 16oz cup with some Miracle Grow Organic potting mix. The little guy has not really grown in at least the last 2 - 3 weeks. Which brings me to the reason for this post. I'd like to find out the following.

1. Plants seem to hate being repotted, should repotting be kept to a minimum? Or is there a right and a wrong way to do this? Aside from being gentle of course and not touching the roots.
2. What is the best schedule/timeline for repotting/moving? Is it based on size or number of days?
3. What size of the container would be ideal?
4. What kind of soil and nourishment would be ideal? Organic if possible.

Lastly, I couldn't find a whole lot on the fruit/pod itself. 3 different sites give 3 different SHU ratings :) and not much info on their flavor. So for those of you that have grown it and don't mind sharing the info, I'd be very happy to read it.

Thank you very much in advance.
Rudy

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x384/rgireyev/?action=view¤t=PurpleTigerTop.jpg

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x384/rgireyev/PurpleTigerSide.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lifecycle Growth Questions

:) Hmmm, it seems like I'll never figure out how to post images on GW. :)
Purple Tiger
Photobucket

o

Hey!
First of all, how wet is this potting soil staying?
I ask because of the yellowish look to the leaves.

As for re-potting....
I re-pot my seedlings when I see roots emerging from the bottom of the container.
This lets me know that the seedling has sufficient root-mass to handle the transplant.
Also, I go from 2-inch containers to 4-inch containers. If you increase pot-size too much,
I think the plant "stalls" while it focuses energy colonizing the new volume of potting mix
with roots. However, most seedlings catch up within a month or so. With a freely-draining mix,
you could technically start your seeds in a 20-gallon container with no ill effects.

Josh

o

Hmmm interesting info. So you are actually saying it is better to repot? And to go in progression. This 16oz cup is just a little bit bigger than a 4 inch container.
OK if this is better then that's what I'll do. :) I thought they hated being moved but it sounds like it's OK.
Is there anything special that needs to be done during the move, like adding fertilizer to the new soil?

As far as wetness of the soil. I water this guy once every 2-3 days. The yellowness may just be my poor photographing skills or maybe the way the light hit the leaves. Otherwise you guys have cured my overwatering disease with the last thread. :)

o

Howdy!

Yes, I think it's better to up-pot gradually while the plant is still a seedling....
unless you have the room and resources to start the seeds in large, well-draining containers.

When you move your plants to larger pots, try to keep the soil and root-mass intact.
The less root-disturbance, the better.

I wait a few days to fertilize after re-potting.
The reason is that "soils low in initial fertility are conducive to root-growth."
Then I resume fertilizing with a liquid fertilizer.

I'm glad you've been cured of the overwatering bug... ;-)

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here