Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardening off temps

Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 16:52

At what outside temps would you start hardening off your plants? Is 50 and sunny good enough?
Bruce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardening off temps

• Posted by uncle_t Z6 Ontario CAN (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 18:24

Temperature, winds and sun exposure are the main factors. I like minimum 60* F and little or no wind on the first day. Wind can really damage unhardened plants at even ideal temps.

o

I am liking anything above 65. However, we are having a lot of fluctuation of temps going on now. I put mine outside in the sun yesterday and it was about 70 degrees. Today the high is 44. On these colder days like today I dont put mine out. But what does this do to the harding off process? If you skip a few days because of mother nature, I am thinking that it has to extend the process correct?

2 days nice and harden off, then 4-6 days of to cold....

Bill

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 20:42

I will have a wait for 60 degrees. I think I have done it at 50 before with no ill affects. Also, if I do it one or two days in a row and then can't do it for several days, I don't think you really have to start from scratch or anything, they don't get soft that quick. I would just maybe set their schedule back slightly and keep going on schedule.
Bruce

o

Just checked some normalized temperatures (based on 30 years of data) for my area and found:

• April: 40

• May: 51

• June: 60

• July: 61

Sure hope I don't have to wait for 70 before hardening off...

o

Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 7:34

chohansen, You are certainly in a tough pepper growing climate.
Bruce

o

Yeah, it's tough :( I'm planning to device a MacGyver green house of some sort. The temps above are averages, though. Day temperature is a little better. Last year the average temperature throughout the summer was 60, with 45 days of 68+. Not exactly tropical...

o

Yes, 60F or warmer, and little wind.
If there's wind, you can put seedlings in a cardboard box...a trick someone mentioned here.

Josh

o

Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 15:22

I got one of those small 4 tier green houses for $15 on sale a couple months ago. I am gonna stick that outside and with some sun, I will get 60's and up even when it is in the 40's.
Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here