Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
technochimp89

Leaves Curling Under

technochimp89
10 years ago

I'm having some problems with the leaves in my greenhouse. Below is a picture of a Jalapeno grown in my greenhouse under 105W 6500K CFL, and a picture of my Jalapeno grown at work under a small 13W 6500K flourescent.

The greenhouse plants stays around 80 to 90 degrees while the lights are on and between 70 and 75 when the lights are off. The humidity is fairly high.

The office plant stays the same as office conditions. Low 70s and low humidity.

The greenhouse one is having some pretty serious leaf curling issues, and the one at work has some very nice looking leaves.

I was using MG on both, but have since stopped using MG on either. While I was using it, the greenhouse one may have gotten a little more fertilizer, but there was still a noticeable difference before I was using the fertilizer.

I'm wondering if maybe it's environmental or watering? I try to only water the one in the greenhouse when it seems dry, but I could be watering too much.

Let me know what you think.

Comments (6)

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

There are always plenty of different issues it could durive from. From my experience I could relate the leaf curling to lack of calcium but that might not be the case. I zoomed in on the first picture and noticed severe Edema which means that your plants are up-taking water faster then it can release it. I could be wrong and if I am please correct me fellow chiliheads. Edema is not usually that serious but it looks pretty bad on that plant. If I were you I would try and water less. Only when the leafs are wilting pretty bad. Keep doing that enough and maybe it will make it's way out of it. My plants had it pretty bad and once I got in a routine of watering them only when they absolutely need it then the very small gathering of tiny white bumps all over started to slowly disappear. If that's not it maybe it's because of the humidity?

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of what mine had looked like

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I don't see edema but maybe a close up pic of the underside of leaves might help.

Looks to me more like a situation of temperature issue. When leaves curl up like that, it's usually in response to "protection." Not that the plant actually needs more water, but the plant "thinks" it needs more water because of the higher temps and humidity.

No way of getting it outside during the day, maybe? Or is still too chilly where you're at?

Do the leaves relax a bit when the temps lower? Any way of bring down the temp of the greenhouse just a tad? Like maybe 5-10 degrees?

Let's wait until others chime in. Maybe the experts have something to offer.

Kevin

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Either I'm blind or you didn't zoom in enough haha. Someone please tell me they see what I see on the under leafs?

• technochimp89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moruga,

I was thinking possible edema as well, I just wanted to get another opinion. I haven't watered since Saturday and the new growth is starting to look a bit better. It's more of a shiny green instead of a dull green like the other leaves. I'm wondering if I'm going to end up needing to cut off the old growth at some point or if it should be OK to leave.

Woohoo,

I was also concerned about the temp and humidity since that is a definite difference between the healthy and unhealthy plant. It's still too early to take these outside, I'm in zone 7. Maybe middle of May if I'm lucky.

I've opened the door on the greenhouse a couple of weeks ago to let a little of the heat and humidity out, but I may take the greenhouse down entirely if that does end up being the problem. My new seedlings in the same environment seem the be healthy though which then leads me to think over watering again.

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Defenitly cut some old growth off. The new green color is a very good sign. Time will tell.

Sponsored