Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White habanero seedling turning yellow from the middle

Posted by alpchilli none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 16:55

Hi everyone,

I'm a novice Chilli grower, this is the first year I am using a grow light and fetilizer.
I have about 25 seedlings on the go, mix
of varieties and they are all going on their 3rd or 4th set of leaves.
They are under a t5 light wave 4 tube 96W light 18hours a day and are in a seedling and cutting compost mixed with vermiculite. I wait until the soil is completely dry or the seedlings start drooping down before I rewater and then I just use a mist spray until the top soil is wet.
I also have started using chilli boost to fertilise (chilli boost from worldofchillies.com, I think it's some kind of seedweed extract. The part in using is for seedlings it says before flowering)
And I'm still waiting for my ph/water/light reader:(

For the last few days I'm having a problem with my white habanero plant.one entire leaf has started to go yellow- and I can see the new leaf growth is the same color too. All other plants seem ok, maybe some have the odd paler leaf but nothing compared to this habanero.
Is this normal should I just let it grow out? Or am I doing something wrong?
I have attached a picture of the plant.

Thanks for any advice:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White habanero seedling turning yellow from the middle

My guess is that your fert is high in nitrogen and your plants got too much of it. Just my guess. Hope things turn out. I wouldn't panic though. They tend to find a way to make it out of situations similar to yours

o

It just occured to me that maybe that is part of the varieties growth habit. I Googled and found this picture.

o

Fingers crossed that it's normal. I have some purple cayennes as well and the leaves tend to go purple so maybe white habanero is half a white plant :/
It's very hard to tell. I'll find out when the second habanero is old enough and if he doesn't turn the same color then maybe it's a nitrogen problem. I'll have to wait it out:) as long as it's not serious.
Thanks guys

o

Not sure what zone you are in, but by chance did you move it from indoors to outdoors? Looks like sunburn to me.

Mark

o

No they've been under a t5 light the whole time, haven't moved. still too cold outside:) I'm in the UK. But these are much lower then all other plants as the others have outgrown them now, the lights barely give off any heat so I doubt they were burned. :( strange strange habaneros

o

sunburn affects the high spots. Not so in OP's picture.

o

Peppers sometime have different foliage. For example Black pearl has purple leaves. I am growing Chinese 5-color. It also has purple leaves. Some banana and gypsy have light green leaves. Not because of any deficiency.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here