Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ab2008

Need your thoughts on these seedlings and what may be wrong

ab2008
11 years ago

Alright so most of my seedlings are doing quite well. However I want to weigh in on what you all think may be the issue on a few of these guys.

A few of them the cotyledons have turned a couple of different colors (varying by different varieties.) One type as you can see they are yellowing. Now they haven't been underwatered, and I don't think I've overwatered them really. Think it may be time to move them out of the regular seed starting mix and move them into a better growing media like my miracle grow potting soil? I want to almost venture it's maybe a nitrogen deficiency but want others' input.

The other however, is more of a dark color? Kind of hard to describe, and it's not on the bottom of the leaves however. In all reality it's time to get them into bigger pots I think. Most of these seedlings have had 24/7 light with the exception of last night where I had them under a slightly weaker light, but they were starting beforehand.

Most of all of these seedlings look healthy otherwise, and their true leaves are a healthy color. But as always it's nice to get secondary opinions.

24/7 light
regular, but fairly light watering
no fertilize
constant 80+ degrees for these guys

Comments (13)

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Socrates X3R

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Giant Marconi & Giant Aconcagua

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Again

• leafericson
    11 years ago

Your seedling look great! At this point I would carefully separate them and transplant them into larger containers. After a week or so give them a small amount of fertilizer. Somehow they seem to know they are confined and don't grow as much; once you transplant them into a container they will grow faster.

Eric

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Eric,

I'll probably put them in my miracle-gro potting soil. My habaneros seemed to have took to it quite well. But I was about to start putting them into a little bigger container, but noticed them doing this a little. Suppose I should get them moved over in the next day or two!

Thanks again!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yes, they look good. I would also suggest transplanting them soon. The darkening is mostly on the seed leaves and very many of my seedlings are doing the same thing. In fact, I have several plants with the darkening on all their leaves but it is pretty normal. I think it has to do with the artificial lights.

Here is a photo of my Giant Ghost, Butch-T and Carolina Reaper. They all show the darkening leaves but they are growing quite well for super hots.
    Bruce

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey nice to hear that Bruce. Those are some nice looking plants though!

But yes, I'm going to move them over tomorrow, hope my super hots turn out looking as well as yours are at the moment.

• kypepperman
    11 years ago

ab2008
    to me it looks like u could slack off on the watering just a bit. and back the light to 18 hrs,do you have a fan running, this really helps

• willardb3
    11 years ago

You are overthinking this.

Leave the plants alone and read a book.

Repot them when they get too large.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Why would anyone read a book when they could sit and watch their peppers grow???

Bruce

• ab2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not over-thinking anything, when certain plants look quite different than the others I do like to find out what others' thoughts are on the matter.

And I don't want to read a book. Lol

That and this is kind of a fun hobby!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Certainly never hurts to ask questions. I do it all the time and have learned tons off this list by doing so. The questions as you state don't have to be 911 type questions, but also simply questions born out of curiosity.

In defense to the book reference, there are many times when people posting questions are certainly in the 911 mode and we some times try to calm them down and keep them from doing something too drastic.

Maybe a book on Pepper Growing would be a good middle ground? :)
    Bruce

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

> "to me it looks like u could slack off on the watering just a bit. and back the light to 18 hrs,do you have a fan running, this really helps "

+1

Sponsored