Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guille80

Is this a Trinidad Scorpion?

Guille80
10 years ago

Hi, I'll like the opinion of the experts here... This seed was supoused to be a Trinidad Moruga Scoprpion but to me this doesn't look at all like one... resembles more to a habanero...

Any thoughts?

Comments (24)

• User
    10 years ago

I may eat my words but it does not like normal growth for a Scorpion.

Scorpion varieties, including the Moruga, belong to the C. chinense variety. Leaves are rather large and pods hang down.

Based on the upward growth of the your pods and leaf shape I'd guess you have a C. frutescens variety growing.

Bill

• Guille80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill what variety would you say it is? I couldn't find anything like this on google at least...

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Looks to me like a Trinidad Sunrise Scorpion. They grow upwards like that and look somewhat similar. Since you said it was a Scorpion, this is very close.

It is an interesting looking pepper though. Let us know how much heat and how it tastes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trinidad Sunrise

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 21:45

• Guille80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure I'll keep you posted! Thanks

• User
    10 years ago

Like I said, I may eat my words. I think RonnyB123 may be on to something. I wasn't familiar with the Sunrise Scorpion.

Interesting looking variety. I too would like to know how it turns out.

Bill

• Guille80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This are some updates on my pepper.... I'm even less sure what pepper is this, the pods seems to be turning from green to purple...

Looks like a trinidad sunrise scorpion because is pointing up but also resembles a lot to the mustard habanero... Any help out there?

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

You sure that's not a red? When pods change they sometimes goes through different stages of color.Who knows, that may be the natural process for this pepper. Lets see what it looks like fully colored.

If it does end up Burgandy, we could go with a 7-Pot Burgandy if it does change to a purplish color? However, I am not sure if those do point upward. I'm sure it wont take long for the pods to finish developing so we can see the true pod color.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 17:55

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Just found this. Notice the words "multicolored". Now we wait to see if the pods fall down as they ripen.

C.chinense
    Originating from Trinidad, the fruits grow pointing upwards, very productive plants. Fruits ripen from green through to red and are multicoloured as they ripen. As pods ripen they hang down through the weight of the fruits. Heat level 700,000 SHU.

• Guille80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess you're right Ronny, we'll see in a couple of days... I'm so anxious , these peppers seems to take forever!

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I'd say no to any sort of scorpion as they are smooth rather than bumpy, and the shape and indents don't seem right. In fact, they resemble nothing I have grown. Interesting, though. Please post more pics as they develop.

Dennis

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Guille80,

Thats the fun part about raising chili's from seeds or plants. You sometimes don't know what comes out of those packages of seeds. Sometimes it is too your benefit, sometimes it is not.
    Remember: Patience is a virtue.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 18:53

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Guille,

How did the pods turn out?

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

whatever those are, if they taste good I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of the seeds. they look cool.

• Guille80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi guys! Here is an update on this rare pepper... the purple pods turned light green again and some pods are turning kind of orange.... not sure if trinidad sunrise can turn orange...

I took this picture at night, so it look more reddish than actually is... I'll upload other pics later

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Ok... now we are definitely into an "alien chili" field. Pods go from light green to purple and back to light green with some turning orange from purple?

I suppose the light orange pods could turn darker red as they mature.
    This is becoming an interesting variety whatever it is.

I look forward to better pictures.

• Guille80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some more pictures... I couldn't resist and I tried one of oranges one... No heat at all, great taste though, hope the heat gets better...

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Well Guille, definitely not a Trinidad Sunrise.

Since you said it was not hot, I would guess now that it seems to be an Aji Dulce Habanero (Venezuelan Sweet). They have Orange, Red and Yellow versions. They have great flavor but no heat. Not sure why the pods pointed skywards in the beginning since I find no mention of that anywhere, but overall I would go in the direction of Aji Dulce.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aji Dulce

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Ají dulce Capsicum chinense - In your picture the leaf and pepper size look like an 'Aji Dulce'. I've grown it a few times - I believe my original seed came from John Fiedlermeister here on GW years ago.

It is also known in the Dominican Republic as 'AJi Gustoso' or 'Aji Cachucha'.

• Guille80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohh god... I've waited for 4 to 5 months for "aji dulce" ?!
    I think I'll have a beer while I burn this plant.

Why would somebody create these kind of peppers anyway? If there's no heat then what's the point?

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Guille, hopefully were wrong and it does turn out to be something else. Maybe the pod just wasn't ripe enough to be hot. Of course, after ripe, if there is still no heat, well ......

Dont burn that puppy yet, but do enjoy that beer.

• rdback
    10 years ago

Hello Guille.

Nice looking plant! I don't know what it is either, but I do have a question...

Now when you say you tasted it, did you eat the whole thing or just a piece? And if just a piece, did you sample it from the stem end? I ask because some peppersâ heat is only located at the stem end, where the placenta and seeds are. This is especially true for some early ripe (not fully ripe) pods. IâÂÂve actually eaten the bottom half of a pepper that tasted like a bell, but the top half set me on fire lol.

Anyway, even if itâÂÂs not hot, if thereâÂÂs some flavor then thereâÂÂs still a use for it. Cut it up raw in salads, use in a stir fry, etc. Dry and grind it, then mix with superhot powder(s) and create a more rounded, balanced blend you can call your own. Smoking before drying and grinding might be good. Be creative!

Rick

• Guille80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Rick, I've waited a couple of extra days, a try a several peppers and they tasted like a habanero but without the heat... exactly like one... nice fruity flavor but zero heat...

I have red and chocolate habaneros and bhut jolokias and all have a great punch even though they are still green...

I guess guys were right is aji dulce :-'(

• stoneys_fatali
    10 years ago

"Why would somebody create these kind of peppers anyway? If there's no heat then what's the point?"

They are used in many Caribbean dishes and are usually very mild with no heat at all.

Great in salads too :)

• UPucker
    10 years ago

Aji Dulce is the main ingredient in a latin dish called hallaca. They are also used extensively in the Caribbean and south america.

"Why would somebody create these kind of peppers anyway? If there's no heat then what's the point?"

There are literally thousands of different peppers with no heat. I think you are focusing on the heat and not the flavor. The somebody who "created" them is mother nature. And she does things for strange reasons sometimes. (See Dragon Fruit, Durian, Romanescu, etc)

The earth has provided all this variety and still we feel the need to "improve" it. :(

Sponsored