Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppers, Pods, and Genetics?

Posted by Edymnion 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 18:07

Pretty sure my grasp of genetics hasn't degraded too far, but I just want to double check something when it comes to peppers.

Pod shape is determined entirely by the mother plant and has absolutely no bearing on the genetics of the seeds contained therein (or vice versa), correct?

Reason I ask is my mutant Halloween pepper is putting out mostly uniform pods, but has a few that are just flat out strange as well. As I'm wanting to harvest as much seed from it as I can, just double checking that the seeds in misshapen pods are going to be essentially the same as the ones in the pods who's shape I prefer.

Never bothered with trying to breed specific characteristics before, so just making sure my basic grasp on it hasn't eroded. Mother plant -> Seeds -> Grow seeds, see what the general pods are like -> Harvest seeds from plants showing the most desirable characteristics -> Backbreed with original mother plant -> Repeat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppers, Pods, and Genetics?

you are correct that the pod is entirely composed of maternal tissue. Only the endosperm and germ of the seed are potentially composed of different genetics given that the flower may have been crosspollinated.

If a given plant is producing peppers some of which are correct and some that are not, that is a sign the plant may have grown from a crossed seed. I would be very careful about saving seed from a plant that does not 100% match the expected traits.

The part about back breeding to the mother plant may or may not be a valid way to propagate a variety. A better way to look at it is to cross back to the selected parental line, whether that is the mother plant or a sibling is not so important.

DarJones

o

It's probably not a cross given that it's sweet. The chances of it being getting sweet pollen on a sweet plant that's normally a Pequin-type-hot plant would be extremely rare. Heat in a pepper is extremely dominate sexually passed trait.

It's most likely a mutant and given it's source it was probably made a mutant during it's previous sexual reproduction because someone would have noticed this off-type plant in their field (you'd hope).

If allowed to self-polinate there's a decent chance you will get the same/similar pepper.

o
btw

Oh yeah, I made those assumptions based on the claim from a previous post that the seed source was from NM Chili Pepper Institute. Peppers easily self, plus this seed was sourced surrounded by similar/same plants at a place where breeding/selection is going on all the time.

o

Yeah, I'm going to first see how stable the offspring of my initial mutant are, then try to stabilize heat (if any of the offspring show variences) and then pod shape.

Just double checking that my understanding of genetics is correct, and apparently I'm still good, thanks.

o

Just let it self... Unless it turns out its an undesirable hybrid...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here