Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peps22

Transferring Very Young Seedling to Empty Cell

peps22
10 years ago

I put 3 seeds per cell.. Unfortunately, some cells sprout 3 healthy seedlings, while others end up empty or weak-looking helmet-heads. Do any of you transplant one or two week old seedlings to other cells when they have this problem? I'd like one viable plant per cell before potting up in 3-4 weeks.

Comments (9)

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

If you do it carefully you should have no problem. Ive done it a lot over the years and never had a problem, In fact Ive started all my peppers in a flat and done them all that way without a loss.Culling is an old way to get you to buy more seed. At $1 a seed that's 2-3 dollars a plant Just a way to get you to spend more.If you can get a 90% germination rate consistently, Why kill half of them if you don't have to.

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any suggestions on how to "carefully" do this? As simple as pulling it out of the dirt?

• User
    10 years ago

peps22,

Never just "pull it out of the dirt", you'll damage the roots. If you have leaves on your sprouts, use a spoon to pop the cell out and break up the soil / medium. Carefully separate the sprouts and transplant to new cells / pots.

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

Ottawapepper is right on. If you do this you should not loose any plants. I could help to keep them out of direct light for 24hrs to prevent any shock but other then that you should be fine.Lots of people just spread seed in a tray and transplant to cells after the come up with little or no loss.Done it many times , In fact did all my peppers that way last year with great results. The paper towel method I used this year made it easier to supply heat in a small aria but other then that both methods gave similar results. Peppers are very forgiving when it comes to transplanting. I hate to cull a perfectly healthy plant, no reason to.

• MadGoofer
    10 years ago

PepperDave did u get my email on the seeds if you did can you please reply

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

MadGoofer I have a selection of seed ready to send. Envelop addressed and stamped only you never gave me a name. Will send as soon as I have it ,Dont Im sure MadGoofer is not your real name. Other then that they are ready to send

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Separating seedlings is a routine thing. But in your case I will do following:

---- Wait til they grow bigger. Maybe when/til they have a pair of true leaves.

--- WHY to plant back in the cell? While you are doing it, plant them in small 4" pots or similar

--- Water before the procedure and let sit for a short while.

__ Water real good after xplanting.

• flipback23
    10 years ago

I agree with seysonn, I just did it the other night very easy did not have to lose any seedlings. I just used a spoon to pop out the seedlings and carefully broke up the dirt and separated each plant. Then put eachone in their own 4 inch pots. # days later they look healthy and happy.

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

Here we go . Im transplanting a Peach Ghost to fill up my flat. Just avoid handling the stem and you should do fine.