Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting seedlings to larger containers

Posted by tcleigh 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 18:42

hello all:

I looked in the archives for an answer to this question, but i didn't find a thread that specifically addressed transplanting to containers.

I'm planting most of my peppers in containers this year, using a soilless, pine bark fines-based, mix. i've had several varieties growing under my T5 indoors, but i'm really anxious to pot them in their final containers (3 gal.). the seeedlings im planning on transplanting have at least two sets of real leaves and are about 2 in. tall. They're currently in half dixie cups...

When is it okay to transplant? im trying to avoid repotting twice...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting seedlings to larger containers

I can tell you that I planted 3 seeds per growing pod and instead of thining out I actually separated them and repotted some did not have the first set of true leaves yet and some had just the first set of true leaves. Now most have first set of leaves and some are starting their second set. I also over wintered 2 of my bhut plants and repotted in Feb 2011 which are the parent plants to my seedlings.

Let's us know how it goes!

o

My rule of thumb is to transplant seedlings when they have between 3 and 5 sets of true leaves.
Since you're transplanting them in their final home, you might want to wait until they're about
6 inches tall, or so. By the way, I think you'll be pleased with the bark-based mix!

Josh

o

Thanks, Josh and habjolokia!

I probably will wait until they are a little bigger to transplant, although i'm very anxious to start them in my new mix. i went out and bought all my ingredients yesterday and was so excited when i got home that i had to prepare one container with the mix even though i didnt have anything to plant yet!

o

I know it's a pain to keep re-potting (I have 25 Bhut seedlings), but I go from egg cartons to small plastic pots (4 inch diameter) when the seedlings are about 2 inches tall. Then move them to their final pots and/or garden in May. They should be about a foot tall by then.

o

dang josh, the 5-1-1 or gritty mix is just good for everything!

o

just to follow up, i did re-pot my 3" seedlings into an intermediate 4" pot. very happy i did as i think they'll have more room to develop before transplanting to their final homes.

thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here