Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodnebridges

any chance of theese seeds doing anything ?

rodnebridges
11 years ago

They've been in the hotbox for about three weeks. I was hoping they might sprout still being that superhots typically take a long time to germinate (They are Morugas). Problem is, I've never seen this blackness on seeds before. What do y'all think ?

Comments (9)

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Were they black when you put them in the paper towel?

The only thing I've planted via paper towel was an acorn unfortunately so I can't provide any insight using that method too much... 3 weeks seems like a stretch though.

• rodnebridges
    Original Author
    11 years ago

no they were not. they looked like regular seeds. 3 weeks is questionable, but i tried to germinate one ghost pepper seed and it took 36 days for it it show it's tail. like I said, never can tell about the superhots.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I, personally, would start over at this point. But I am not an authority on the wet paper towel method either. In fact, I would probably start over if it was three weeks in soil without germination. Yes, I am impatient and realize some peppers, particularly super hots take up to a month. But they wont get that in my grow setup.
    Bruce

• ab2008
    11 years ago

I know a few seeds I didn't have a whole lot of, I try to hold off as long as I can. Out of everything that has came up, 7 pots, trinidad scorpions etc. The two types of peppers that have not done anything for me, are my cayennes, and peter peppers. I was expecting the cayennes to kind of explode out of the ground.

I will probably plant some more tomorrow or tonight since I do get a little impatient on some of them.

• uncle_t
    11 years ago

I never sprout mine on paper--more variables to deal with, eg., bleach, chems, etc. Soil is better. But if they're the last of your scorpion seeds, then you don't want to waste them. I would dust them with rooting hormone and place them in fresh, moist soil. Take a chance.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Some people swear by soaking their seeds in warm water, anywhere from an hour to overnight before sowing them. You might want to check into that. I don't do that however.
    Bruce

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

I like sprouting my seeds in 3X3in zips with damp paper.

After the seeds Hydrate hold the zip in front of a light.

You'll see what the Embryo looks like - wimpy,empty shell etc.
    It gives a very good indication about seed health or whatever.
    You can see screwed up stuff in the seed shell.
    It will be pretty clear which seeds you have are better than others.

Black mold like that usually is from bad seeds,bad moisture and or temps.

Could be seeds dried in the pod that mold spores got into but if it was they would have molded in days not weeks I think.

Those seeds are history I think.

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

The blackness is almost certainly mold. Which doesn't seem to be a problem for seeds. I've had some nasty looking seeds jump up and grow.

Three weeks isn't all that long, though if they are in a heated environment you should have seen some tails by now. My records on Morugas:

3 - soak started 31 Jan, popped: 2 on 7 Feb, 1 on 11 Feb. All up and growing.

5 - soak started 19 Feb, popped: 1 each on 26 Feb, 1 Mar, 4 Mar, 5 Mar. One still cherry. Only the first is up as of this morning.

YMMV

I'd suggest trying again, this time with a cover to keep them moist. Also, the yellowish color on the surrounding paper may be a mold too, so dribble some H2O2 on the paper to keep it down. (Could also be color from the placenta if some was left attached to the seed.)

• rodnebridges
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well they did have a cover on them, but I had to take it off so you could see them :) I use those little solo cups that you use when you are getting sauce to go. I've been visiting my local taco joint a lot ! I will try a few drops on hydrogen peroxide as you suggested though.

Sponsored