Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karilynn78

Bolivian Rainbow Pepper plant - need help!

karilynn78
16 years ago

I bought a beautiful Bolivian Rainbow Pepper plant last summer, and ever since then it's been dwindling in appearance. I still get peppers to grow, but they are all red or orange. I haven't seen a purple or yellow pepper since I bought it. I've tried to do research on how to care for this type of plant, but I haven't been able to find any help. Can someone help me with the general care instructions for this plant? Thanks!!!

Comments (18)

• smokemaster_2007
    16 years ago

My bolivian rainbow is a sprout now but I have some ornamentals that are similar to the ones in the New Mexico Chile Institutes cataloge.
    I notice I only get 2 colors in the winter (red and orange) and 4 in the summer(purple,yellow,orange,red).
    I think it might have something to do with the amount of sun or length of daylight they get.
    I'll find out this summer-it's their second year.
    They did put out pods the whole time I've had it.
    The pods seem a bit smaller now than in the summer.
    It's got green ones on it now and it's back outside again.

• ardnek710
    16 years ago

you would treat this plant just like any other pepper. No special requirements.
    smokemaster is probably correct, it is probably related to hours of daylight or light intensity or some such thing.

Keep it alive and when you put it back outside see if you start to get 4 colors again.

Many pods when inside under artificial lighting will immediatly ripen no matter how big they are. That may be what you are seeing. The pod is not going through the other color stages but going immediatly to ripening. Plus the pods tend to be smaller (takes less time to grow)

Remember the "goal" of the plant is to produce viable seed to reproduce (not to give you colorful pods :)...). Plant senses something not correct (a change in conditions) and switches modes in order to get more seed to reproduce.

kendra

• kj_57701
    16 years ago

I don't have much to add here. I have no idea what could be going on. But, I do have 7 Bolivian Rainbow's under 40 Watt Plant and Aquarium Flourescent lights. I have tons of Purple flowers and I was going to say no pods yet, but... I just walked downstairs to check and saw a very fine looking Purple pod growing (looks like there might be many on the way though). I am just using Miracle Grow and have only fertilized them once since I started growing them in February. I was actually thinking of doing one more round of fertilizing. He, he! It just quit snowing outside and it's cold and depressive. That got me excited! :) My Medusa Hybrids have peppers but the Bolivian got there in second place.
    Maybe I'll try to bring some of them inside for the winter next year. Try to replace the soil and get rid of the nasty Aphids and other "un-wannables". I guess, so far so good.

• byron
    16 years ago

Don't sound right

Should start purple, turn off white, then yellow, orange, then red ripe

Here is a link that might be useful:

• smokemaster_2007
    16 years ago

I have a habanero Arbol plant(tree habanero).
    It's 4 yrs. old going on 5.
    Today I looked at the new pods and they are a creamy whitish yellow.
    They have never started out yellow before.
    They are usually green or green with purple spots or stripes then they turn an orange yellow then bright orange.
    The Yellow these pods are now is a totally different shade than the one they turn from green.
    I haven't done anything different to it than in other years.
    It's 5-6 ft. tall now.It was 9 ft. before I trimmed it last Sept.
    It's had pods since I trimmed it but they looked normal.
    It puts out peppers year round.
    The plant and pods look healthy as far as I can tell.
    I've used the same fertilizers as before too so I don't think it's a nutrient thing going on.
    It's a lot prettier color than green or the regular shade of yellow.
    I wonder what it'll do next thats out of the ordinary.
    Put out more colors or shades of colors it never did before?
    I took picture but the pods are too small and you can't really see the flowers or pods with the camera I have.
    I'll wait until they get bigger and see if they stay that color long enough to get a picture.

• willardb3
    16 years ago

Summer plant:

Winter plant:

Both have purple fruit.

• jdog1965
    15 years ago

is this plant edible? My wife bought one last year (about 1 pint)that is now a small shrub with about 100 peppers on it of all colors.

• willardb3
    15 years ago

Quite picante and flavorless.

• rottikk
    14 years ago

Hello everyone; I am looking to buy these rainbow pepper plants does anyone know where I can purchase these types of plants. I am willing to travel in the tri-state area. Philadelphia, NJ,DEL.

Thank you John

• jmb76
    14 years ago

They are closed for this year, but Cross Country Nurseries in NJ probably has the largest selection of pepper plants anywhere. It would be worth keeping them in mind if you want them next year.

• Butrrfly23_ATT_net
    13 years ago

I received one of these Bolivian Rainbows a couple of months ago. I transplanted it into a ceramic pot using standard potting soil. It has received water from my sprinkler system for about 30 minutes 2 times a week. We've been in drought for a few months now so thats all the water its received. It's been in full sun as well for most of the day.

Ever since I repotted it it's been in decline. The leaves shrivel & brown at the edges then the peppers turned almost all red and started to shrivel on the vine. Now the browning has extended to the stalks and I just can't seem to stop it. I've noticed one or two tiny white insects (maybe aphids?) in the soil at the roots but that's all. No stickiness or anything on the leaves or stalks, just shriveling & browning. I've also checked inside the fruit for pests and found nothing. Anyone know what might be causing this? Please help!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Potting soil, comprised of peat moss mostly, often holds too much moisture and not enough air.
    Browned tips indicate dead roots, which usually means root-rot.

Josh

• Herbdude56_aol_com
    12 years ago

Hello everyone I purchased my first plant last year
    And all of the peppers started out purple during summer
    As summer went on they changed colors white,yellow,orange,and
    Red and they were all delicious I must have gotten between
    2&3 hundred peppers. I didn't know if the plant would survive
    The Midwest winter so I dried a couple peppers and in january
    I planted the seeds and boy did they grow I nhad aabout 20 plants I gave to family and friends and there all doing well
    With a fine crop Cummings up. Keep posted

• aymankamal
    10 years ago

I am growing rainbow pepper indoor led light and as u see one of the plants have yellow new leaves... do u know what might be the cause.,

• sjetski
    10 years ago

aymankamal i would guess it is genetic for that specific plant, similar to a birth defect.

I've seen it happen with other pepper plants, but mostly those in the Baccatum pepper family though.

Since it does not appear diseased, i would hold onto the plant. There's a chance that it will grow out of it and turn green again, otherwise there's not much you can do for it except feed it normal nutrition and give it plenty of lighting.

This post was edited by sjetski on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 21:54

• Andrew
    9 years ago

Does this look like Bolivian Rainbow or something else that's similar?

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Kinda tough to tell with that pic, try here for comparison.> Bolivian Rainbow Pics.

• JackJohnson
    9 years ago

It looks like a Bolivian rainbow pepper to me. I have been growing these for a few years and like the purplish foliage along with the pretty peppers. I found some excellent pictures of Bolivian Rainbow peppers and other ornamental peppers at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: pepper pictures

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations