Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too early

Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 19:01

I planted several different species of hot peppers about three weeks into January. I did this because I was trying to start some Ghost peppers and they need a lot of head start in my area (South Central Wisconsin). Well the Ghosts are doing great but I think I may be too early on the others. My Banana Peppers look like they are already forming buds. If they do flower, can I try to manually pollinate them and then transplant them in about 7 or 8 weeks when it will be safe to get them outside? Or would I be wasting my time. I am afraid some of my other varieties might start budding out soon too. (Long red Slim, Charleston and Habanero). This is my first year doing the seed thing so I hope someone else with a little more expertise can lend a little advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too early

I would just keep them going, but definitely clip the flowers. I put out some super chilis once that had already set fruit, and it took a long time for them to really start producing their main crop. I think once they have fruit, they prioritize where their energy goes, and work on the one or two fruits rather than growing roots and setting out more leaves. This seems to slow everything down.

o

If the plants are too small and they do form fruit, it will take them a long time (if at all) to catch up to the others.

But, chances are, the blooms will drop on their own.

Since you say they are too big already, maybe leaving the blooms on will slow them down a bit for now, and you can worry about whether or not to pluck the blooms later when it's closer to time to plant them outside.

o

Ok, I will clip the buds when the get a tad bigger. They are not even showing any flower yet, just the bud. I want to ensure they are actually going to be flowers and not leaf buds but I am pretty sure they are flowers. Thanks guys.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here