Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to Identify a Pepper veriety

Posted by feathersite New Mexico (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 2, 10 at 19:37

My dad and I grow some peppers that an old Indian gave my dad many years ago while on a hunting trip in CO. He told my dad that they were Chimyo's but I'm not sure. Can anyone help?? These peppers are hotter than jalepeno's and have, I think, a great flavor. My dad called the the "indecent peppers" because they grow straight up on the plant. They are about 6" long depending on the soil grown in. They turn red when mature and other than that I have no other information. They are a bit small to peel but make great HOT salsa or dries "sprinkle on". Can anyone help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to Identify a Pepper veriety

Chimayo maybe? Peppermania sells them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppermania

o

Theres actually a thread on this pepper from about 4 years ago.
Did you try googling "chimayo pepper"?
Its the first thing that comes up.

o

Chimayos aren't hotter than a jalepeno...they're rather mild/medium. They also grow with fruits hanging down rather than upright.

o

I may have solved my problem w/ my pepper identity. It might be a Mirasol, however the info I have read said these at not too hot. Mine are HOT. The only ones I found hotter are Habenero's and I don't care for the flavor of those. Any other ideas??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here