Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valdogw

Bonnets, Fresnos, Jalapenos y Habaneros

Valdo
10 years ago

On the Starter Tray & Kit I began an egg carton experiment that took off, here is an update of the Scotch Bonnets, Fresnos, Jalapenos and Habaneros. I cannot fathom how to remove these from the carton without destroying something. And no I do not want to save the carton.

The lone cup on the side is an Habanero that has sprout but is taking its time.

Comments (58)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hello!
    Do you have a protected spot in outdoor shade? That's where I put mine when I am ready to harden them off. Filtered sunlight, under a patio table for example. If you get a lot of wind, put them in a cardboard box.

Josh

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Pot 'em up and move 'em out!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

You can harden in those, but are they clear? If so, don't let them in direct sun without slipping them in a larger COLORED solo. Clear will act just like a greenhouse and cook those roots.

Personally, I wouldn't let the kids out to play until they had a couple more sets. But, that's me. If you do, you probably want to use some type of wind break around them until they're tougher.

Kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I so want to Pot 'em and move 'em out DM, plant them to the necks for more roots and just set them out in the Louisiana sun, with some protection at first no doubt.

About hardening them in those small white cups, not necessarily totally opaque but not clear altogether. Also I fear hardening them in those small pots, stems are quite quite delicate. I took them out today on the porch for about 2 hours and they were flapping quite a bit. Yep, the wind scares me quite a bit- not sure if a box can do it.

A few are even going on their 3rd set of true leaves.

This post was edited by Valdo on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 22:55

10 years ago

Box should be ok as long as it's deep enough. Yes, even the opaque ones will fry them. Kind of easy here to predict the wind.. it normally doesn't kick up until the afternoon. So, if you can recognize the same where you're at, that would be ideal.

Kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So red solo then harden, but seems like a wasteful transplant. Does that matter?

10 years ago

You know what they say.....
    "Shortcuts make for long delays" (Tolkien).

I think it's worth it to spend the time transplanting and hardening.

Josh

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No I just thought that too much transplanting would damage them or something. Stress them out etc.

10 years ago

Valdo: I'm not saying POT UP/TRANSPLANT to larger solos. Only to slip a larger COLORED solo over each clear cup to prevent those roots from being cooked while hardening off and growing more foliage.

Personally, I'd take my time and pot up. Unlike northerners, you have tons of time left to get many harvests.

kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Personally, I think many many of them are too leggy and I want to transplant anyway to bury them to their necks.

Considering I have limited space, think Ill transplant to big red solos place them in a container maybe in a box under my BBQ and see how they do. Very very protected, even covered.

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A friend of mine brought me three pepper plants that look like heads of cabbage. Only about a month older than mine. My peppers seem so leggy, thinking about transplanting them. Does a transplant to bigger cup, planted to the first leaves, cause undue stress on the plant?

I am thinking those of you that shouted for more light, more light- may be right!

10 years ago

Nope: They won't sideshoot roots like tomatoes do, but planting below soil level can help.

Once again though, lights close to top leaves will lead to stronger, less leggy seedlings. A fan helps too. But if you can with weather permitting, a few days hardening off to full on direct sunlight and breezes is the best thing just make sure those real young ones in the pics above get some more sets of leaves before you let them really brave the outside world.

Kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Taking the step, after a massive storm decided to harden these, the largest and the oldest. They are at 4-5 weeks. A bit young but they certainly look older.

Put the small white shots into large red solos to protect from sun.

Comments, raves?

10 years ago

Look fine to me. if it's chilly at night, I'd still bring them in. But as long as temps stay up during the day, I'd keep letting them play outside more and more.

Kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are getting a 65 here, they are in clouded sun right now for the past 3 hours, tomorrow may do more. Overnight have not tried yet, but a paper box 8 X 11 box is the perfect shelter for keep them sheltered. My key lime and satsuma are blowing savagely, but in the box there is not even a wrinkle.

Can't wait to transplant and go outside.

• User
    10 years ago

Looking good Valdo.

I'm envious, I still have at least 7 weeks before I can start hardening off mine.

Bill

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! If I could mail an acre of Southern Louisiana climate to you, I would.

I am very happy to get them out. BUT there is a major problem (for me) on the outside- GNATS. They have hit the queen scotch bonnet hard and have moved to my aloe vera. I tried neem oil. The only thing I think it did was make my yard smell very exotic- like an Indian bazaar.

I am at this moment trying the near-boiling method. If that don't work, Im moving on to mosquito drops. I like to try things from minimal toxicity and up.

10 years ago

Howdy, Valdo, they are looking very good, indeed.

Josh

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I admit I have a confession to make.

I have tried gardening two or three times. Every time I have had problems but I have had one particular bane that runs through my whole family.

I absolutely detest bugs!

I have to admit this fungal gnat problem is putting a serious damper on my pepper hopes- especially when I find them in my home!

Advice? Therapy?

O

10 years ago

Research IPM. Yes, you'll find out that it involves attracting even more types of bugs. But, unless you want to throw all kinds of poisons on your food, it's the best way to keep the bad bugs at bay.

Insects are a part of gardening...the trick is to balance the odds in your favor without using something toxic or using something very low impact like BT, insecticidal soaps and hort. oils like neem. Beneficial insects are the first line of defense, though...nuff said!

P.S. it takes some time, but once you get diversity in the garden, things balance out. 2 plants that will help right away, are cheap, and last for months are marigolds and alyssum. If you want to talk more, I'm here!

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 17:46

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Noticed two of these plants are wilting, one rather severely when they went out for hardening. Anyone tell me why? Too much sun?

10 years ago

Either that, needs water, or possible damping off. If you also potted up recently, give them a chance to adjust(dappled sun or shade only for a few days).

Any temp spike up lately?

Kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Too much sun. I brought it in the shade and it IMMEDIATELY popped up.

PS: please don't ever mention damping off again- terrifying!

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Big storm a coming, think Ill move the hardening plants indoors, don't think they will survive in their solo cups! The East-South window should do them fine for a few.

A shame I was about to transplant the first scotch bonnet to sprout, looking good!

10 years ago

Just don't get TOO anxious. I know you're itching... everybody does. But better to wait than to plant TOO early. Especially where you're located... where you'll get plenty of flushes well into the fall.

You're right. Looking pretty good.

Kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not going to lie, I am itching badly. I put one of the solo jalapenos outside, as an experiment. It loved the shade where the first potted scotch bonnet is. But yes it is very tempting.

That scotch bonnet is showing signs of growing in what I call the armpits (between stem and leaf-branch. But I know it won't be able to take the wind.

Btw, a fan and some epsom salts really perked the whole crowd up.

PS: By flushes you mean growing opportunities?

10 years ago

See. Now that's what I like to see before transplanting-- growth at the nodes(armpits). Once you see that, let them take on some gusts of say up to 20mph(as long as you've let them take on some light winds already).

No. By flushes, I mean harvests. Foliage, flowers, pods, harvest 1. More foliage, more flowers, more pods, harvest 2... and so on. Frost hits the South a little more early than it does here but you should get a good 3 or 4 before packing it in in the late fall(not sure exactly what your climate holds. Might slow down a tad in the midst of the summer but if you can keep them somewhat cool during that time(mulch, shade cloth, shielding or moving containers, etc), they'll keep on trucking. Even if you can't, they''ll pick back up again when the temps lower a bit.

Kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will never check my plants before work.

Rather upset that two of my scotch bonnets, that were rather bent from trying to get light, toppled over- one I had to replant in a hurry. I hope that when I get home they have righted themselves, though I doubt it.

Here is a pic of white nodules I found only on base of the scotch bonnets this morning. Is this making new roots or a sign of some sort of infestation?

Feedback?

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, these nodules are more dramatic the closer the plant is to the fan

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Went a little crazy this afternoon, planted the first scotch bonnet to germinate as of 2/24 in its own pot and put it in a very sheltered place. Hope it works out. Take a chance, get a big payoff!

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Noticed these holes about my plants after spotting a slug one morning. Tried the beer trap, may need something stronger tomorrow. Yeesh, its just one invasion after another it seems!

10 years ago

May also be earwigs. Sluggo Plus will take care of both. If you're pretty sure it's slugs, just get some iron phosphate pellets. Also, look for green caterpillars. Little early for hornworms, but might be another moth/caterpillar.

Beer works, but the baits are better.

Kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The situation is getting worse, getting to the neighbor plants as well. Not sure if it is something internal. I totally looked over the plants and nothing appeared to be hiding anywhere.

Here is an update... Bad huh?

One good thing is that they are growing very very quickly.

Suggestions, don't want to spray or buy anything unless I know what it is.

10 years ago

Slugs or earwigs.

Roll up some newspaper, spray with some water in the tube, and leave it out overnight. In the morning, dump the tube into a bucket of water to see if there are earwigs.

Investigate at night when the damage is happening.

Josh

10 years ago

Go out with a flashlight at night. You'll probably find your culprit then.

Kevin

• stoneys_fatali
    10 years ago

Looks like earwigs. We have many of those here. Haven't attacked my peppers but looks like they have got to my Bok Choy.
    BTW, my Scorpion Pepper was about 6" tall and had about 10 leaves before I planted in my garden and yes, hardening them off is crucial.

Dave

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woke up bright and early, still dark. Nor last night or this morning did I find anything out of the ordinary. Though the holes did look bigger. I tried flashlight and that newspaper method to no result. I can't go to the store to buy a deterrant until I know what it is. Anyone think it might be internal? I notice it starts as a white spot, then brown, then the hole.

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Think I will pick up some Organicide 3 in 1 on my way home. Though I have my reservations with that product since it seems to burn the plants in a warm climate. Since I am still in doubt I want to get an organic general pesticide.

Other Suggestions?

This post was edited by Valdo on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 10:24

10 years ago

I don't THINK it's internal. But, white, then brown, then hole sounds odd. Can you get a pic of those stages?

Organic and general are kind of contradictory since you only want to get the PESTS and leave the beneficials and neutrals alone. Broad spectrum pesticides are bad. That 3 in 1 stuff is probably not a bad one to have around but it's a contact killer and it gets soft bodied insects like aphids and whiteflies.

Post the pics in the Garden Clinic forum -- they might be able to help more than I.

Personally, I think it looks like slugs or earwigs. Try the beer again or get some Sluggo(slugs only) or Sluggo Plus(slugs AND earwigs). You can also make a trap for the earwigs -- google earwig oil trap.

Good luck.

Kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of the whiteness. This eventually became holes. I just still do not have an explanation going to do the oil trap next. Just had a thought, could epsalm salt do this. This is all I gave them that I can remember.

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of the browning on the left one.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Though the holes did look bigger.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Once there is a small hole, as the leave grow, those holes will get bigger.

The second thing: Those holes that I see in the picture are harmless. I would just ignore them. UNLESS more leaves get holes.

The holes are not made by slugs. Slugs start eating from the edge, like caterpillars. Flea beetles make hole that are much smaller and there are usually more of them. Again, once a SMALL hole, will get bigger as the leaves grow big and wide. Often debries from trees, blown by wind can make tiny holes and as the leaves grow the hole get bigger.

FINALLYON Fungus Gnats: They are an indoor problem, BECAUSE your pots are the only place that they can find a Haven in your home. Once the plants are out the fungus Gnats have the whole backyard and more to live and multiply. But if you get a persisting problem try Mosquito Dunks. It is BT and organic.

Sometimes you have to loosen up and let it go. Gardening is not done in laboratory conditions. It is all right if the pests get into your plants but don't let them get into your nerves:)

10 years ago

Could be epsom salts. What did the Garden Clinic folks say?

Seysonn: Both slugs and caterpillars will eat holes.

Kevin

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Seysonn: Both slugs and caterpillars will eat holes.

Kevin

%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Yes Kevin, they can but not very often.
    Here is a eating pattern of slugs. I know , I have been battling slugs for the last 2 season.

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Seysonn and Kevin. Yeah I need to be a bit more Zen about my gardening. Relax and enjoy the green.

As far as planting them outside, I am debating whether to put some peppers in the front yard or not. Really the only viable garden environment I have right now. Its been strangely cold here and I am still starting my plants out. For some odd reason I am drawn to containers. Perhaps I tried planting them in the ground and none survived.

No word on the Garden Clinic as of yet.

• Valdo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I must quote one of my favorite authors, John Steakley in his work Armor.

"BUGS, BUGS, EVERYWHERE!"

They are white aphids, my camera would lose focus so I am not submitting a photo but they are tiny, flea-like white and a dew-drop shape and very compact.

I sprayed Neem and tried a garlic dishsoap water solution. Still some on there. Wierdly enough they have only hit my friend's gift plants the strong wrinkly cuban and choc habanero plants.
    Advice? Yes, I know, buy ladybugs. Anything I could spray?

9 years ago

Yep. water. In the morn or evening, First take a nozzle and spray them, then 3 days later, do it again, then 3 days later do it again. Then 3 days later, after the populations have decreased, do the soap in the evening, rinse in the morn. 3 days later same thing.

Check plants at this point. If still some, weekly treatments of neem oil in the evening.

In the meantime, plants some flowers like I've mentioned before.

Kevin

• Valdo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thought you all deserved an update on the Garden of sorts. Lots going on here. I have a scotch bonnet (something utterly destroyed it and I had to put a cage) and a Fresno in the ground. The largest pot is the original scotch bonnet many of you saw in another post.

The black and white pot on the right are two habanero pepper plants a friend gave me. Behind the large one on the right is a scotch bonnet that seems rather shy.

Updates questions, confusions, are welcome. And yes, some of these I have to wait for it to grow a pod to know what it is.

• Valdo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Massive book-keeping and erroneous labeling errors have caused me to barely know what the hell is in the ground in my yard.

Here is a picture of a mystery pepper, one of four that I have in a grow box. I labeled it a scotch bonnet, looks like fresnos I have labeled elsewhere and someone online told me it looked like something called a Jamaican mushroom which I never even heard of!

Anyone?

• abnorm
    9 years ago

I sent you the package of NoHeat "Cachucha" seeds.......they look very much like that photo....after growing a while they puff-out some more

Or the similar HOT Yellow Scotch Bonnet........How's the heat ?

doug