Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Growing Super-Hots in the ground

Bill_Missy
11 years ago

Hello all,

Well I screwed up again... I cleaned up, weeded and placed new mulch in the front of the house flower bed. Now the wifey wants me to plant some of my 150 or so super hots up front, mainly the NewMx Twilight (Thanks Bruce), a Bhut or two and some Butch TâÂÂs. I am doing mostly pots and have that plan down pretty well (so I think lol).

Anyway, any suggestions or advice to plant super hotâÂÂs in the ground? I have not stared hardening off yet, will next weekend. Goal is to have all planted (Pots and ground) Easter weekend. Soil is pretty good and the front faces South/South West. I am a little worried when it comes to 100-115 degrees and 100% humidity in Aug/Sept time frame as there is nowhere to hide.

As always, thanks for any and all advice,

Bill

Comments (5)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Bill they will do fine in the ground as long as the soil is good. Humidity is great for peppers so no problem there. The 100+ degrees not so good you will get lots of flower drop above 90 degrees. You may need to invest in artificial shade during this time to lessen the flower drop or just let them ride it out and once it cools again they will go back to setting pods.

I know others will give great advice on growing and tempurature.

Mark

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

At those temps, I would also look for some shade when positioning the garden. Habajolokia is right about them dropping blooms with extreme heat. But it probably wont be as bad as with containers since the ground will be cooler than a container on a real hot day. That will help. If you cannot position the garden in an area that will get some natural shade, then you will probably want to figure out a way to give them some artificial shade on the hottest days.

You have two weeks to go until Easter weekend so you should be starting to harden them off real soon. And another thing: 150 plants in pots....sheesh, that is a lot of pots and a whole lot of growing medium. WOW, I think some garden space is a good idea. Plant the Twilights along the front edge (towards the south) as they will not only provide a very beautiful border for the garden, but they won't get blocked out by the Bhuts either. They only get a foot or so tall compared to 2-3 times that for Bhuts.

Good luck and post a photo when you get them all situated for the summer.
    Bruce

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input Mark and Bruce.

150 plants is alot I know, I did not think that many would survive since this is my first real year trying to grow, but they did so.... I am thinking maybe half in pots and the other half in the ground. The pots will be on my back patio which is covered and pretty large so I can move the pots around to beat the sun pretty eaasy.

My flower beds in the front of the house are huge. About 60% of the beds are in the front of the house which faces West, South/West. The other 40% faces North, North/East. It is going to be tricky to keep them alive in this kind of heat, but will give it my best.

The soil is pretty good as my Palm trees are growing real good and so are a few other garden type plants.

I am thinking the key to this will be to keep the Ph around 6-6.5 correct?

Bill

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

You have plenty of plants to give your wife exactly what she wants, which is exactly what she deserves. (Use that as your mantra.)

If they die, they die. Either way it will get your wife involved in your crazy hobby and function as an experiment at the same time. :-D

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DMForcier,

Now that is frickin hilarious... I will give it a shot. I have to do something since I have taken up her laundry room and the office as grow rooms.

Bill

Sponsored