Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Bill_Missy Update

Bill_Missy
9 years ago

Hello all,

It has been a while since I have posted anything, been to busy with work and honey-do's around the house. I thought I would post a couple pictures of where I am in this years grow. Half of these where sown on 17 Jan and the other half 8 Feb. I still want to plant some more seeds as I failed to plant any Jalapeno's for the wife. Hopefully it is not to late to start 25 or so more.

Most of these are super-hot with a few mild's. This first picture is my grow set-up. There are 122 plants in all. The big one in the Yellow pot is a over-winter 7 Pot Burgundy.

Bill

Comments (34)

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Table One. Some are wilted looking but they are fine. I only water every two days.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Table two

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Nice! You're on your way to "way too many #$%& peppers!"

:D

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Hi Bill,

Looking good this season, and on your way to a bountiful pepper harvest. A few look a bit yellow is that just lighting? If not they may need a shot of pick me up fert low dose. Keep this thread updated.

Mark

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Lookin good Bill! And nice setup.

One of your statements alarms me though. Watering every TWO days. Seems way too much. If your having to water every 2 days, either you're watering too much or they're rootbound IMO.

If you're using just a little water with the baster, that should be ok, but I like to let them get real dry and then water thoroughly so I can wash out the salts..The yellowing(if it's not the lighting) would also be a symptom of overwatering.

Whatever you're doing, don't let me talk you out of it-- seems to be working for you.

Kevin

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

I was thinking the same thing Kevin. When I first started, I was so afraid of over watering, I only watered with a spoon. Now I just let them get dry, then soak them real good. Your plants look good Bill, but you may save yourself some time by changing up how you water. Would help immensely with the number of plants you have. I like your set up. Please keep us updated.

Tim

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Right on! I'm always impressed by the amount of peppers that you guys grow. My comments on the yellow lower leaves would be the same....fertilizer/water. I'm sure you're already taking care of the issue.

Josh

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Looks like a commercial growing operation. So orderly. Like Tim said keep us updated. My setup is not impressive. I have a mix bag of things: pepps, Matoes, eggplants, herbs. Right now I am trying to move them outside. Tired of indoor care.

In zone 8 probably are ready to get them babies out too.

Good luck and happy hot season to all.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all.

Yes a few of them do have Yellow leaves, I may have watered them to much at one point. I use the Turkey baster to keep the water off the leaves and to control the amount of water. I have been giving right at 1 fluid ounce every two days, it may be to much. I go by the weight/feel of the cups. I will try 4 days.

Also, I have given them three feedings in a 5 week span. 2 of Miracle Grow (24-8-16) and one feeding of Alaska Fish Fert (5-1-1). Honestly I do not like the MG but not sure what else to use as I am still trying to learn the whole Fert aspect. Any input here is greatly appreciated. I am not sure MG Tomato Fert 24-8-16 has enough Microbial's. I do have a new bag (afraid to use) of Jobes Organics Vegetable Fert 2-5-3, any good?

I did give a feeding (3rd) yesterday with a very small dash of Epson Salt mixed into my gallon jug I use with the turkey baster.

Again, Thank you all for the nice words and input. If I am screwing up, please tell me as I am still trying to learn, especially the Fert aspect.

I plan to start hardening off early/mid next week.

P.S. anyone have any Biker Billy and/or Mucho Nachos seeds you want to trade?

Bill

9 years ago

the MG is fine, but you do need to supplement with Ca and Mg. Ca isn't all that important right now but when they get bigger, you'll definitely want it. For now, 1/4 to 1/2 doses of the MG and about 1/2 tsp of epsom per gallon. Leave the fish ferts and the Jobe's Organic for when you get them in the ground. For the Ca, in the ground(should've been done a couple months ago) get some bone meal in there right away.

For the watering, stick a skewer into the pot, if no soil comes up on the skewer, it's time to water. Water thoroughly. Should last close to a week or more indoors, unless they're in need of potting up anyhow. If soil is on the skewer, leave be.

Kevin

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As always Kevin, thank you. So, if I am understanding you correctly, Feed once a week with MG AND Epsom? or every other week....? I have only given one very small shot of Epsom since they have sprouted, does it require more Epsom?

Sorry for the questions, never passed Chemistry classes LOL

Bill

9 years ago

Not a whole lot, but it is necessary for photosynthesis from what I've read and the uptake of calcium. So yeah, a little dissolved with the MG AP. Once you have them in the ground, there's NORMALLY enough. Only a complete soil test will tell.

Alternately, you can use smokemaster's witch's brew to get both Ca and Mg. His recipe is in the 1st post below.

You can add lime to the soil, but make sure you check your ph first. It will raise it.

With the witch's brew, the vinegar offsets the ph plus it's instantly soluble.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: smokemaster's witch's brew using dolomite lime and vinegar

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I am taking the plunge today and starting my hardening off procedures. We will be in the high 70s today and it is about time to start. I think this is the part I hate the most, in and out of the house for a week.

Here are some pictures of how they are doing. Don't mind the "drooping" of the leaves, they are hungry.

Bill

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of tray one

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tray two. I have topped and removed some leaves on all of them, that is why they may look small.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

7 Pot Douglah, Yellow Bhut, Red Savaina

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Good looking plants Bill!

I have a trinidad scorpion in that same lime green pot in your above photo. I drilled bigger holes on the bottom for better drainage.

What are those anyway, 1 gallon, 2 gallon pots? Once my Scorpion gets bigger, I'll put him in a pretty good size pot.

• peps22
    9 years ago

Woohooman,

When doing the fertilizer mix you speak of, do I water the plants thoroughly first? I thought I read somewhere not to fertilize on dry soil. Thx

9 years ago

Peps:

For In-ground you can scratch some ferts into the ground and then water. If you're using solubles and/or epsom and witch's brew, I would water first.

A soil test is the only way to REALLY tell what you may need. I wouldn't use either the epsoms or lime/witch's brew unless you notice from season to season the symptoms of a lack of those, like pale leaves or blossom end rot, respectively Mg or Ca.

With containers, it's a little different. Most mixes either have lime(both Ca and Mg) added prior or call for added lime or gypsum((5-1-1, for example). For me, I add gypsum(only Ca) when making 5-1-1 because of my water's high ph and then add epsoms(Mg) when I do my weekly ferts.

Lookin good Bill!

Kevin

• peps22
    9 years ago

I guess my question is, if you water solo cups first without the nutrient solution (to get it wet), aren't you just going to soak it more when you finally do add the nutes? Will it be too much moistrue?

9 years ago

Nah. With well draining mix, you'll be fine. There's so much concern regarding overwatering. And, it's valid! But... when doing the "let pepper plants dry out between waterings, then water thoroughly" theory, fertilizing right after "watering thoroughly" isn't going to cause overwatering. The soil is already thoroughly moist.

For example: I have a seedling that has a couple sets of true leaves. Looks like it's drying and I haven't fertilized yet at all. So, I water thoroughly then come right back 5 minutes later and give a 1/4 dose of MG AP with maybe a dash of epsom salts and/or witch's brew. If the mix(usually says on the ingredients) I started with already had lime in it, none of the epsom or witch's brew. Over the next month a couple or 5 more sets of leaves, watering thoroughly in between after dry outs, no ferts. But then, on the next needed watering, same process as the first feeding, maybe up it to 1/3 dose. I don't start giving weekly 1/2 doses until they're transplanted.

Also, after the 1st couple feedings--- On successive WATERINGS, I start to TOP water to flush out any built up ferts/salts.

Kevin

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello all,

Just an update on this year's grow. I spent yesterday planting my selections for the In-Ground phase. I made Three raised beds the consist of 60% Cow Manure and 40% Chicken Manure (Aged 2 years), I also added a few handfuls to each hole some potting mix. All that is left is to finish putting some mulch on top.

Here is a pic of 4 super-hots that I planted. No, I am not thinking that they will get so big I need the Tomato cages (Well... Maybe, lol) I put them in place to stop my German Shepherd from running over them, she does not go in my raised beds.

Don't mind the wilting look, it is sunny and 84 degrees today, I just took these. They are all very healthy

Bill

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Garden raised bed. These are all no heat to medium heat.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are all hot to super hots

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These 20 are all super-hots

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Only 90 more to go. These are all going in containers and a few in the front flower beds (If the wife lets me lol )

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Very nice Bill!

I like your beds. Your plants should get sufficient sun there.
    Keep us posted :-)
    p.s. I know about the wife thing. I only have 6 in containers and 6
    in-ground and she tells me "enough already"..lol!
    Dave

This post was edited by stoneys_fatali on Sun, May 4, 14 at 16:30

• seysonn
    9 years ago

WOW, Bill. That is amazing to me. So many plants in a backyards. Takes a lot of planning and efforts.

Good growing season !

9 years ago

Nice Bill!

Planning on selling the pods? LOL

Kevin

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello all,

Well it has been 3 weeks since my last post so I thought I would give an update. I now have all my plants in the ground and/or pots. Wow, what a chore. Now to sit back and watch them grow and produce I hope. I have small pods on a few. I have been pinching off buds/flowers up until this point, but from here on I am going to let them do their thing. Some look really small but that is because I did a lot of pruning and buried them real deep after cutting on the bottom 3 layers of leaves.

This is my first raised bed. All super hots

Bill

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Medium and super hots here

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The garden area. Mostly mild's. Most of these are my first attempt at these varieties.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Super hot's. 7 Pot Douglah, Yellow Bhut, Chocolate Bhut and Reaper

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And lastly, some of the container ones. Looks wet and is a little. Mother nature just blessed me with a good 15 minute shower, lol Hot's to super hots