Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

Hot Peppers for Hotwing Sauce

thebutcher
11 years ago

I was wondering if anyone here makes there own Hotsauce for Hotwings? and what kind of Hot Pepper is the best from your past experience?

I am not looking for an incredibly hot pepper that burns your tounge off, but just a very nice tasty Hotpepper with zest and shows a little bit of boldness.

I have been cooking my deepfried hotwings for years now and always settled on a store brand hot sauce, but I just thought would be neat to make my own now and next time I cook at parties I can say it is my officaly own sauce instead of enhancments I used with store brand.

(Also to note: I will probably just grow 2-3 plants after germination so spacing is an issue.) Containers could be a more convienent option but can grow in ground as well.

Thanks in advanced.

- Mr Beno

Comments (9)

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Mmmmm.....Hot Wings.........

I'm Thinking Chocolate Scotch Bonnet........

• uncle_t
    11 years ago

Last year I made a great red sauce from very red (ripe) 80% Cherry Bombs and 20% Red Sheppard peppers (approx). Definitely zesty and wonderfully fruity. I processed them with about equal amounts of garden tomatoes. Added quite a bit of garlic, some onions, sugar and some of my homemade red wine (and a pinch of meta bi-sulfate preservative). Froze at least 3 gallons in big pickle jars. Still have 1 jar left. I didn't remove any seeds from any of the fruits, but the food processor pureed them really well.

It's the fruitiness that makes me grow those Cherry Bombs. If I want a hotter sauce, I just add some bonnets or cayenne. And the sweet Red Sheppards give a nice fruit complexity to the existing fruitiness of the Cherry Bombs.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Scotch bonnets - make a jerk style sauce.
    Orange Habanero / chocolate Habanero - nice creeping burn rather than an up-front biting burn.
    Thai - asian inspired sauce or even a buffalo style.

It's also good to use something a little more mild mixed in with the hotter ones for depth. something like Ancho or Guajillo.

• hillseeker
    11 years ago

I've made some killer hot wing & BBQ sauces last summer with my orange &chocolate habaneros. I also had red/chocolate bhuts and added a tad of those to kick up the heat a level.

The best hot sauce was made with mango & chocolate habanero/bhut! I'm trying a chocolate scotch bonnet this year. Hope I like it as much as the hab.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a bunch eveyone, I will get the seeds mentioned and experiment. Could be fun doing 2-3 different Hot sauces.

- Mr Beno

• CanadianLori
    11 years ago

I am bringing this up because this is one of the uses I want to try. I have a pressure canner and really want to make use of it. Do you puree the mixture?
    Many thanks for any and all advice.
    (I am soo excited about this coming growing season even though there is snow on the ground again today)

• Oystereater
    11 years ago

If you are looking for a basic sauce with just a little zip I would recommend trying some pablano peppers, roasted on the grill then cleaned. Add plentiful roasted garlic, salt, and a little sugar if thats what your taste dictates. Put in a blender with enough vinegar/water in equal proportions to liquify it, then simmer it a bit. Delicious!

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know this was said before, and I appreciate everyones advice.

I just ordered 100+ "Red Cherry Bomb" seeds to be the bulk base of the sauce and now wondering what I should go with to make different variations. I only saw 2 options to buy from at "Amaz" for Red Cherry Bombs and I like the idea they are fruity and not as hot as others.

Now for my next purchase. For example I will do a (Hot, very Hot, and Extremely Hot). But still looking for the best flavor with the 3 variety of sauces, I will just ad more or less of the following Hotter peppers below.

1.) Orange or Red Scotch Bonet?
    2.) Orange or Red Habenro?
    3.) Red/orange BHut?
    4.) Other

I prefer red or orange for the color but if you think different let me know about chocolate. I just love teh look of a bright red or a redish/orange sauce.

The other thing is I would like to grow these in containers if possible so smaller the better. My area is 6b located between Philly and Princeton

Thanks Again

-----Edit Updated---------

Sorry for update but just saw a good deal on teh web and just purchased the following below,

1. Cayenne Red Long Pepper (100 seeds) $2.30
    2 Caribian Red Hot Habenaro (50 seeds) $1.29

I figure for about $3.50 I could not go wrong. I am still interested in Scotch Bonnet and the other Habaneros ect... and after further research I think the Bhut may be too hot. But with the Cayenne, can use it for sauce or just make a bunch of powder and the Caribean for $1.29 was a deal with free shipping and they were running out of stock..

This post was edited by thebutcher on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 15:17

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Sounds like you're pretty well set. Good luck with it, let us know how they progress!

@CanadianLori - If you want a smooth sauce you will likely strain the sauce. I just use a mesh strainer I picked up somewhere along the way. Sometimes I get by with just the immersion blender.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus