Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thismembername

my grow, 2013, advice and suggestions please

thismembername
11 years ago

This is my 2013 indoor grow. I'm posting so that I can show what Ive done, and hopefully get some suggestions, ideas, criticism, etc so that I can make some changes and improvements for next year.

Here is the plants going indoors, a 4 bulb t5 HO 4ft, and 2ft 2 bulb t5 HO setup. Almost all in solo red cups, holes in bottom of cups to help with drainage. In a homemade 5-1-1 mix that I did not screen, however i did remove very large chunks.

Comments (20)

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more plants, about 40-50 total indoors. all peppers and tomatoes

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

some large tomato's

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

soil mix

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more soil shots

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, heres some stuff i need ideas on. i have this large tray that all my plants are in, and the plants are in the red solo's, however the drainage from watering is all going into same tray. Should i be concerned about this as if one plant gets sick, then it could effect all plants since they are drinking and draining from the same tray?

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

some plants that i am watching closely, i add drainage cups

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and here, some of my super hots are showing odd looking leaves, i think i may of been under watering, but i also read about "pepper mottle virus", not sure if this looks anything like that.

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

notice how the leaves are all wrinkled

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

diff plant, sorta same effect on leaves

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here you can see the older leaves are nice and green, no wrinkles, new leaves growing up top are showing some wrinkling.

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

that's it. I read a lot about virus's this year, and think i freaked out about every time a read about a new one.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome, even if they are critical.

I already plan to start adding a sand barrier on top of the soil, i read this is supposed to cut back on top soil algae.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Plants look good. Aside from the "crinkled" leaves, I don't see any real problems. Even the crinkled leaves are pretty common but I don't know if they suggest a real issue or not. As far as the water from one plant infecting others, I don't think that is a big deal. I bottom water all of my plants and use the same water for them all. So by the time I water the very last plant, it has runoff from each of the other 3 dozen plants. Three years running and it hasn't caused a problem yet.
    Bruce

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

All your pictures look good. Your plants are looking much healthier than mine. Did i miss where you said when you started them?

• thismembername
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Early January i believe, haven't really been tracking time.

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Looks like a good growing season is in store for you.

• peps22
    11 years ago

I can tell you i have *always* experience crinkled wrinkled leaves with habaneros. Usually not until later in the growing season than you are now, but this issue has been a constant. I never get the issue with my cayenne or jalapenos.

From what I've read habaneros like calcium and it could be a calcium deficiency. The thing is, even tho my hab plants have all had this, the yield of peppers has *never* suffered. It just doesnt look good cosmetically, but I dont see it hurting the yield.

Another cause of deformed leaves is aphids. Aphids like to suck the sap out of young leaves. They're bastards. I had an awful aphid year in 2010. However that didnt happen until after the plants moved outdoors in May/June. I'm guessing that's not the issue here.

• hillseeker
    11 years ago

Agreed with Peps22. My seedlings are not curling yet but I've had them curl every year when they are larger. A bit of Cal-Mag once in a while fixed them right up and the plant flourished. The first year I wasn't sure what was wrong and still had a very nice plant so not sure if it really helps.

I have no idea if Cal-Mag is safe for seedlings of that size. You may want someone with more experience answer that.

• rdback
    11 years ago

Your plants look great!

Just try to avoid the classic pitfall of âÂÂkilling them with kindnessâÂÂ. Remember peppers (all plants really) WANT TO GROW. Capsicums have been around for millennia and have survived nicely without daily, or even weekly, visits from the water wizard or the fertilizer fairy. Just satisfy their basic needs and they will perform their own magic.

Hope you have a great growing season!

Rick

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Water Wizard??? Fertilizer Fairy????
    I love it. And rdback speaks with wisdom. More rookie growers kill their plants by "killing them with kindness" than do all natural hazards combined.

Good luck,

Bruce

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES