Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gltrap54

Butch 'T' Trinidad Scorpion

gltrap54
12 years ago

Sorry, this is a dupe from the vegetable forum........

They're telling me 30 days to germination. Pepper folks chime in please.

Comments (26)

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

I had 40% germination rate in eight days (8 sprouts out of 20 seeds) this past month. The starts were in commercial seed starting mix on a mat at a temp of 85F.

30 days seems long.

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

Just curious, where did you get your Butch T seeds?

• romy6
    12 years ago

I have had some take 5 days and others take 35 days. Depends on the individual.

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

Romy, you're more patient than me. My seeds get 14 days to produce max, then they're toast ;-)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yah, all my Butch T's came up in about 6 or 7 days. I plant 4 seeds per container and cull the extras after a while and if one or two don't come up in any given container, it is no big deal as I still have a couple. But I think every Butch T seed (12 in all) sprouted within 10 days. 83 degrees on the heat mat.
    Bruce

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

Bruce,

All 12 in 10 days, where did you source your seeds?

Bill

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ottawa pepper, the seeds came from Pepper Joe's......

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Trade with list member:
    =========================

Posted by armac1965 none (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 21:55

Bruce, I must be having trouble with my email. Shoot the previous email to xxxxxxxxxxxxx. Also include your address I can spare a few Butch t seeds for you.

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

Handsome54,

Pepper Joe's is a pretty reputable source amongst a few forums. Are you using heat mats for germination? 78-88 F is the optimum temp for max germination.

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

Handsome54,

I got an email from a friend asking if I was thinking about another ... Joe, yep, my mistake.
    My friend pointed out that there are mixed reviews on this vendor. I haven't personally dealt with Pepper Joe. If your seeds don't sprout you may want to try another source.

My apologies if I misguided anyone.

Bill

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

Yeah, superhots take a long time to germinate. My butch T's/7pots/bhuts that I started for my "main plants" are at about 2 weeks now, no sprouts. They'll get another 2 weeks before I try again.

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No problem Bill...... I only bought one packet, just out of curiosity. One issue that's been raised here is temps. I had these peppers in my chamber along with several other vegetable seeds. Digital therm set around 70F, obviously not warm enough for hot peppers. I did have one seed germinate today.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

They will germinate at 70. I didn't use heat last year and did fine. Mid 80's is better however. And I also got my seeds from Pepper Joe last year. I got what I asked for. No complaints here.
    Bruce

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bruce! I feel better knowing that.

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

Good to know about your experience with Pepper Joe Bruce. Thank you.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

All those Bhut seeds I have been sending out came from plants that were grown from Pepper Joe seed.
    Bruce

• armac1965
    12 years ago

Bruce, glad the butch t seeds worked out for you.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

armac1965: they are still floundering with all my other seedlings this year. I have been struggling all spring. But the Butch T seem to be doing as good or better than all the rest. The one good thing is that they never turned purple like all the rest and didn't prematurely drop their seed leaves.
    Bruce

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

I accidentally left the greenhouse closed today and the sun came out from behind the clouds around noon and the temperature went up to 123 degrees. Fortunately I had watered everything very well yesterday so the plants were fine. I opened the door and ventilated the place down to about 90 degrees for the rest of the day.

BUT

The Chinense peppers grew up to 2 inches by the time the day was over. It was amazing to see them perk up and green up so well.

• schism
    12 years ago

I got my Butch T seeds from pepperlover.com. Great germination rate. Bought those and Red Devil Tongues...also great germ rate. Plus some freebies..red hab seeds

• rlin
    12 years ago

Hi, everyone,
    I've germinated all seeds in a plate for 13 days and they did come out yesterday.
    Could someone tell me when I have to seperate them into individual pot?

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

schism,

Thanks for mentioning pepperlover.com. I had seen their name before but never took the time to check out their site, quite an interesting selection.

Something that really impressed me was them giving the back story and credit for a couple of varieties they're selling; Butch Taylor as the originating source for the TS Butch T variety and John Fiedler as the source for the Trinidad Scorpion FG. While the story behind the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T is relatively well known amongst chile lovers, the lesser known Trinidad Scorpion FG background isn't. Nice to see fiedlermeister get props.

I'll definitely be firing an order their way when I'm stocking up on a few new varieties for next year.

Bill

p.s. I don't agree with their description of the FG taste ;-)

• Armageddon
    12 years ago

anyone have any Butch 'T' Trinidad Scorpion seeds that can share still have lots of room in my garden also have some seeds i can share can contact me at pepperhead@letitflowcreations.com

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

I got my butch T seed from hippy seed company down in Australia. I'm hoping the seeds will have soaked up some of that Australian "everything wants to kill you" essence.

But I got my Douglah seed from pepperlover.

• J0el87
    10 years ago

My seedling butch t just came up today. i put them out in the sun even though the seed pod is still over the leaves. I am curious as to if i should keep bringing it in at night on the heat mat and how cold will a seedling be able to withstand. i'm new to growing superhots so im trying to maximize my success rate since the seeds i got have mostly been a bust.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

The Pepperlover is very reasonable seeds source, 99% germinated for me.

30 days would be maximum days for germination. My Butch T started germination just like other members mentioned.

Caelian

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living