Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valdogw

Aji Cachucha/Dulce

Valdo
10 years ago

My girlfriend and I are constantly amazed at how much our two cultures have in common (She is Jamaican and I am Cuban). Since I am growing scotch bonnets to make her feel at home, I just found out that Aji Cachucha, a pod my family has used all the time is in fact a non-heat scotch bonnet. This floored me and for the life of me I cannot remember tasting them in my youth, though I do remember my mother using them.

Can anyone recommend a reputable seed supplier that has cachuchas. A taste comparison with the bonnets I am growing would be most intriguing.

Comments (15)

• sjetski
    10 years ago

A lot of seed sellers carry the Aji Dulce's, there are 3 or 4 types, all of them mild. Check out the 3 links below.

This place sells live plants, 12 plant minimum, very reputable. On the left side menu, click the "species" button and select "Chinense". This will bring them up in alphabetical order:
    http://www.chileplants.com/

Beth at Peppermania carries one or two types also:
    http://www.peppermania.com/capsicum_chinense.html

And here are links and reviews to other stores:
    http://thehotpepper.com/forum/117-vendor-vault/

It's not too late to plant seeds either. Good luck.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 21:38

• abnorm
    10 years ago

I bought seeds from Beth at Peppermania......OK flavor, but I want more heat

Valdo.....You've got mail

doug

• Mary-333
    10 years ago

There are two seed vendors that I use that have the seeds. I have just ordered from Solana for the first time this year, so can't vouch for the germination. Seeds did come promptly though they are in Canada. My Aji Dulce seeds are from Tradewind and I used their seed last year with great results. Note that Solana does use cachucha as another name for Aji Dulce.

https://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/hotpeppers.html
    http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/content/aji-dulce-1-pepper.htm

• abnorm
    10 years ago

Mary.......Welcome to the forum

Aji means chili pepper.....Dulce means mild

Cachucha means Cap/Hat

"Cachucha is an Aji Dulce but not all Aji Dulce are Cachucha"

Cachucha is a Green Cap....Aji Dulce #2 is a Red Cap......Aji Dulce Yellow is a YELLOW Cap

Aji Dulce de Panama is a short Red chili

VALDO.....did you receive your seeds yet ?

doug

• Valdo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Doug,

Yes, thank you so much got them today. Out of curiosity which Aji is this one.

O

• abnorm
    10 years ago

You asked for the Cachucha......

I also sent Scotch Bonnet and Trinidad Perfume

doug

• pshealy69
    8 years ago

I know this is a little late, but I have a true Aji Cachucha plant, which is producing for the 2nd year in a row. It was given to me by a friend who sprouted them from seed from her Grandmothers plant from Cuba. I live in Nashville, TN (of all places) and haven't found anyone around here that has ever heard of them, much less has an interest in them. Im suprised it has lasted this long (I bring it in during the winter) and I moved to a large pot this year early and it really grew larger, I am currently getting 6-8 peppers every few days. Would be more than happy to share Seeds or Peppers with anyone who may be interested.

• M Montcrieffe
    8 years ago

Hi pshealy69! I would be interested in some seeds, peppers or both :). I live in Northern California and although we have a large Latin community, I still find it difficult to find Aji dulce peppers. Please contact me direct. mmontcrieffe@yahoo.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks, Mirna

• Monica Vidal
    8 years ago

Hi pshealy69! I live in the DC area and would love some seeds or peppers! I can't find aji dulce anywhere around here!

• Monica Vidal
    8 years ago

By the way, pshealy69! my email address is monica.d.vidal@gmail.com. Thanks.

• pshealy69
    8 years ago

Thanks, Monica. Its a little late in the season here, so I've recently brought my plant in for the winter. I'm trying a grow light to see If I can at least get one more batch before winter, but It may be till next season before I have some more. But, rest assured, I produce more than I can eat during the summer. I'll keep your address and remember to contact you when the time comes.

• abnorm
    8 years ago

I still have plenty of NO-HEAT pepper seeds available now......e-mail me:

pamjoysmail@yahoo.com

Send a padded envelope.......addressed to me......INSIDE place a LABEL addressed to YOU......your want list.....and four stamps

DON'T SEAL THE ENVELOPE.........Just tape the envelope closed with a piece of packing tape.......I'll use the "factory" seal to return your seeds

Afix postage and ship to me.....................................

Available:

Aji Dulce #2.....Red from TomatoGrowers (unopened package)
    Bishop Crown.....from peppermania....cap shape
    Cachucha....also called Rocotillo....little cap......(Just ONE offer left)
    Trinidad Perfume........yellow bonnet shape (seed-saved)
    Numex Suave Red....smooth red pod........NMSU
    Numex Suave Orange....wrinkled orange pod.......NMSU

Aji Dulce Yellow.......peppermania......yellow pod

Fooled-You hybrid.....TG.....No heat Jalapeno

and more Suave Red.....seed saved ?

Everything not-hot must go.............

Later.......dougandpam

• castlefrankimportex
    8 years ago

I fell in love with the Cachucha pepper after trying Cuban black beans back in Germany at my brother's home. His wife is Cuban. She puts the Cachucha peppers in almost everything! She grew few plants from Miami and South America and said none tasted like in Cuba. She found an Ebay seller called Pleasurevault and she says this is the real thing! I got my seeds from Pleasurevault, too and my plants already did have lots of peppers. . My sister-in law has her in a balcony all through the summer and indoors in the winter. I do the same. The peppers freeze very well and they taste as fresh after frozen.

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    8 years ago

Hi castlefrank can you please provide the link to this seller on eBay? I want to make sure I get authentic aji dulce this year!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH