Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafericson

Best Plant Markers Ever!!!

leafericson
10 years ago

So.. I was a my local home depot picking up some peat moss and I thought I might check to see if they had any plant labels. Well they did.. $5 bucks for a pack of 20 burpee plant markers, what a rip off!
I've always used all sorts of things for markers like: popsicle sticks, cut out sour cream containers, even laundry detergent containers. Lots of work cutting them up.
Walking around the hardware store I was passing the window blinds and it occurred to me.. duh...
WINDOW BLINDS!!!
For around $4.25 I now have hundreds and hundreds of easy to make plant markers!
Just thought I'd share this with everyone.
Hope this little tip helps.
Eric.

Comments (31)

• kentishman
    10 years ago

I agree. I had some old mini blinds that were going to the dump. Instead, I use them for plant labels.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

In Florida, window blinds go brittle and ink fades both within 1-2 seasons.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One season is long enough for me. B/c I am not going to find that old label for a given plant of the same name, anyway. The only thing is fading away the ink. But I have heard Sharpi's industrial permanent markers won't fade.

I get my stick FREE from the drape/blind section at home depot, from the custom trimings. The often have bucket full of it.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I've been using Popsicle sticks and ball point pen. it still seems to fade, or get moldy. or in some cases do both. I have one that I have no idea what it is because I couldn't read the label. I might have to try the window blinds.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

A lot of marking, for me, is just for germinating and seedling stage. For example I germinate 4 different kinds of eggplants. Once they start fruiting I don't need a tag because I know them from their fruits. Or I know parsley from basil, etc. In this process, popsicle sticks will do.

But with the peppers and tomatoes which most of them are new to me I will need a tag to last all season, in case I want save seeds from them. For this application I need more durable tags. Plastic ones marked with sharpis permanent is good choice.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I'm still utilizing an old set of aluminum mini blinds saved for over twenty years. I prefer to use a grease pencil to mark them.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I'm still utilizing an old set of aluminum mini blinds saved for over twenty years. I prefer to use a grease pencil to mark them.

• tomt226
    10 years ago

I just rip 1X material 1/4" thick, then rip that in half to 3/4", and have all I want from one or two drops from projects.

• cghpnd
    10 years ago

I absolutely love using whatever I can to make them. Laundry detergent Bottles, Milk jugs, soda cans, blinds the kids (or I) ruined etc.
    last year I did them so neatly and carefully, this year its not uniformed at all, some are huge some are small.

I'm glad to see others doing it too.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Well, I hate to admit it, but for the last 20 yrs I've used the aluminum rose labels with grease pens. They last forever (unless I accidentally till them up, they still work, just not as pretty). I think the blinds would be easier, make new ones every year instead of having to sort and spent time searching for each label every spring.
    Pam

• leafericson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also use the sharpie super permanent marker. I find that they don't fade as much.
    These window blinds are so cheap I think I can use a hole puncher on them to attach them directly to the plant later on when they get bigger.
    Eric.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

IâÂÂve been using vinyl blinds for years. I usually find them for a buck or two at the goodwill or garage sales. I also get the scraps at the hardware stores (Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.). As I watch TV I cut them up. Mindless work while watching a show.

I've used water proof markers, garden markers, paint, etc. to label them in the past. About 6 years ago I switched to using a pencil. I have tags labeled with a pencil out in the flower gardens that are 6 years old. I write on both sides as well. For larger labels in the veggie garden to mark rows, I use 12" blind pieces and label with a label from the label maker. I've been reusing the veggie row markers for years.

If I have aluminum blinds then I use a grease pencil - works great on those.

Sandy

This post was edited by sandysgardens on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 15:00

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Grease pencil, huh? Who'd'a thought it? I've been afraid that it would rub off.

I have used Sharpie permanent on various plastics and aluminum rose tags and the materials last well. The exposed writing fades within the year.

BUT the writing that is under the surface is like new. Apparently it is exposure to the sun/air that does in the marker. So now I write an abbreviation on the part above the soil and more info on the part below. If (when) the label becomes illegible I pull it up and re-write or make a new label from the preserved info.

YMMV
    Dennis

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Excellent idea. Thanks for the tip.
    Bruce

• leafericson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sandy, I too have used pencil in the past and surprisingly it seems to stay forever. Who would of ever thought? However it it difficult for me to read. I wish someone would tell sharpie to put some carbon in their permanent markers to make it last.

Dennis, that's a really great idea about putting the name on the part that is below the soil line, I may try that. Thanks.
    I went to Walmart the other day and found that they have permanent silver and gold paint markers. They work good and I think they will not fade since it is paint but they do take quite a few minutes to dry and are hard for me to see on a white background. Wish I could find the same type of paint markers in black...
    Eric.

• obchili
    10 years ago

Sure, thanks for the tips. Only a couple of weeks too late. LOL. Just did a basement clean-up and wanna guess what I threw out.

• aleciabane
    9 years ago

For a long time i has been using wood-made and self-made plant markers that make me more comfordable in budget. And even I try to make markers itself own using old spoon from my home. IdealGardenMarkes help me more for using idea of making plant markers and seeding plants.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

I hear that plastic knives work great too as markers. I myself use the free white samples of plastic lowes provides on some of their products (blinds, paints, flooring, etc) cut into strips and marked with permanent ink.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

I've used all sorts of things with greater or lesser success.

Plastic blinds have been great. This year I have a surplus of recycled cottage cheese and sour cream containers, so I have been cutting those up.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I just posted this over on Garden Junk, same topic.
    These are my favorites but there's some great ideas on pinterest, search there for garden markers diy or plant markers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant markers

• seysonn
    9 years ago

For material, I use old plastic blinds. I have tons of it.
    For marking, I use Sharpie Permanent marker. It last longer than enough for me. My last years tags are still out there and fully readable.

Seysonn

• obchili
    9 years ago

This year I made my list on a computer and numbered each variety. Then I used the same program and made up 1" tall numbers (2 of each as I am planting 2 of each variety), cut them out just past the edges, placed them in laminatinf film and laminated them with about 1" extra on 1 side to punch a hole into and than will tie them to the stem of each. I will also have my master list laminated when all my seeds are sown. Relatively cheap and durable, weather resistant. Reusable shoul you desire as well.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

obchilli, I hope you'll cut me some slack because I take notes on gardening but you take the cake!

This year I made my list on a computer and numbered each variety.
    Then I used the same program and made up 1" tall numbers
    cut them out just past the edges,
    placed them in laminatinf film and laminated them with about 1" extra on 1 side
    punch a hole into and than will tie them to the stem of each.
    I will also have my master list laminated when all my seeds are sown.

Care to post the Xcell sheet?

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Paul,

I like the link.. I don't even take notes, I remember what i remember.

The number thing would be very simple though,numbers could be re-used every year just change the list. Might suck having to refer back to the list all the time though

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Everybody gets comfortable with a system after a while.

I use 2 sizes of tags : One for seedling stage.Those are small enough for 3" pots, under light. When I move them outside I make bigger/longer tags ( ~ 8"). These stay with the plants til the end of season.

Seysonn

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

I went to Walmart the other day and found that they have permanent silver and gold paint markers. They work good and I think they will not fade since it is paint but they do take quite a few minutes to dry and are hard for me to see on a white background. Wish I could find the same type of paint markers in black.

My WM has black paint markers in various widths -- and lots of other colors too. They're in the Craft section; the brand is Elmer's. Try Michael's, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, and other specialty craft stores as well: they're likely to have better quality paint markers than WM.

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Seysonn,

Check out Paul's link... it applies equally too you.

• sdambr
    9 years ago

Northeast_chileman, thanks for the link. Problem solved :)

• sdambr
    9 years ago

Northeast_chileman, thanks for the link. Problem solved :)

• theripetomatofarm
    9 years ago

My best plant marker is taking a photo with my smart phone, designating the plot/raised bed, then labeling the picture with what's inside. Always have my phone, always have my garden layout. No need for markers or extra work.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is interesting , Teri.

I am too lazy to do all that though. I wanna just find out what it is by looking at them. After a while, I would already know them without even looking at the tag.

Seysonn

Sponsored