Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marukai

Charapita Pepper Seeds

marukai
15 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find seeds to this variety of pepper? I can't seem to find a source to seeds within the USA. Here is a link to a picture

Here is a link that might be useful: Charapita Pepper

Comments (30)

• rick_in_va
    15 years ago

Wow, that is an unusual pepper - a yellow bird. I am interested in any experience you have had with this one. Is it as hot as a regular bird pepper? Good luck with finding the seeds.

Rick

• smokemaster_2007
    15 years ago

Your page has no email aqddress or trade list...
    E mail me.

• willardb3
    15 years ago

Also called yellow bird and I don't think I know any commercial vendors.

It is quite picante and prolific.

• marukai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Smoke... I sent you an email. Did you get it?

• bob_in_pc
    15 years ago

Is this the same variety as this?

Here is a link that might be useful: chiltepin amarillo

• marukai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bob,

It's a pepper within the Habanero Family. The link that you gave me was a normal Tepin that turns yellow. Chileplants.com dose sell variation Charapita pepper, but I have to buy it a long with 11 other plants. They wont ship single plants. Check out Wild Brazil on Chileplants.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Brazil

• smokemaster_2007
    15 years ago

Yup,answered it too.

• vic01
    15 years ago

That's a beautiful pepper. Thanks for the picture Willard. Note: add another to the list I want lol. Jackie

• willardb3
    15 years ago

snip
    It's a pepper within the Habanero Family.
    snip

All habaneros are capsicum chinense
    All cap chinense are not habaneros
    Yellow bird is a capsicum chinense.

Chiletepin amarillo are cap annum and not chinense.

• rick_in_va
    15 years ago

Willard3

Would you please send me your email address? (and thanks for all your helpful info on the hydro thread).

Rick

• smokemaster_2007
    15 years ago

Did you get the seeds?

• Amazoncruiser
    10 years ago

This is my favorite pepper. I tried it the first time in Iquitos Peru 12 years ago. About 5 years ago I brought some home to Texas from Peru to eat and ended up planting some of the seeds. I had 10 plants doing very well for several years, now I only have one left, My wife is from Iquitos and we travel there every year. These plants grow like huge bushes there. I have one on my land down there thats about 5 ft tall. I am headed down there again in 10 days and trying to find out if it is legal to bring the seeds back into US. I have went to one govt website about fruits/vegs. but coundnt find anything on these. Does anyone have any idea if these can be brought back to US without having any problems, or how I could find out. If so, I plan to bring back quite a few. Also has anyone heard of the Mocambo fruit? I would like to bring some of these seeds back also if possible. The fuit I do not care for, but it comes from a tree. The seeds are big and they are delicious if you roast them. Thanks for any help.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

A friend brings back seeds from Peru all the time.

Pepper seeds seem to be no problem BUT some fruit seeds they won't let out of the country for some reason.
    I guess it's like Brazil ,they consider some stuff national treasures or whatever.

Best bet is to mail seeds to yourself and take some in your luggage.

If you are talking about a Large amount,Customs doesn't consider it for personal use and they will probably keep them.
    My friend prints up an envelope that looks like a commercial seed pack (Seed name both common and chinense or whatever) and brings the seeds here in her luggage.

I don't know if she hides the seeds(puts them in a pocket or something) or actually shows customs the package.

She has brought back a gallon bottle that she stuffed full of different peppers and filled it with water.

Fresh vegies etc. aren't allowed but processed stuff is.
    Customs considers them to be processed...
    She labels them as "Moms Pickled Peppers".

She did get into trouble last time.

I guess someone slipped some food into her carry on luggage as a supprise to snack on.

Customs dogs went crazy,she got searched and is on the watched list for trying to smuggle stuff.

I guess people still try and hide drugs in food or whatever thinking they will fool the dogs.

Either way,they let the seeds through but kept the empanadas.

http://www.gardensillustrated.com/article/practical/download-our-diy-seed-packet-templates

http://tipnut.com/seed-packets/

Lots of links to find one you like.
    A lot of them you can use your own pic. on the pack...

Here is a link that might be useful: print your own seed packets

• Clint W
    8 years ago

The butcher, I'm trying to grow some charapitas myself. I brought back some of the peppers from Peru. I just extracted the seeds and planted a bunch in a seed starter kit under a light in my apartment. Any advice??

• thebutcher
    8 years ago

Hi Clint, from my recolection when I did this, I remember that they germinated around the average time of a regular hot pepper, but they took longer to become a seedling to plant under the lights. I think I only did 3 seedlings, 1 made it to a full plant and overwintered for the following year (the others were my neglect/laziness I think and did not make it to planting). But once outside there were hundreds of charapita pods in a 5 gallon vinyl grow bag with 5-1-1 mix that I made.

The plant grew to about 2 1/2 to 3 feet. Pretty tasty pepper and pretty hot but not super hot. I ended up making powder with them. I think i am gona try to grow it again this year from seed. I also I forgot to mention, I used peat pellots to germinate in trays from jiffy. I think the temp was around 85.

• scorion1
    8 years ago

Those are some cool looking peppers.

• thebutcher
    8 years ago

Aint no super hot, not that I tried anything over 250k SCU. But just one of these little peppers will make you sweat a bit and eyes tear. The hottest I tried to compare it to is my yellow pequin plants and it ranks a little bit below them as I read and tasted, but then again it is a little less then half the size. plus if you add up eating about 3-5 of them I am sure you would be running around. But the best part is the flavor, I still use the powder in my cooking from when I grew then a couple years back. And will attempt to germinate again this year.

• Clint W
    8 years ago

I'm very new to this, so I definitely don't have the best accuracy in my methods in doing this. I have a heat mat under my starter kid that keeps everything warm (not sure the temperature but it feels warm). The starter kit is keeping everything humid and wet. I periodically refill the tray with water, but for the most part the soil is constantly moist. I have a burpee light on the kit 10 hours a day. Is there anything else I can be doing?

• the_northeast_chileman
    8 years ago

The starter kit is keeping everything humid and wet. I periodically refill the tray with water, but for the most part the soil is constantly moist.

What kit?

• thebutcher
    8 years ago

I am no expert Clint, but listen to others on this forum like northeast_chileman. But when I grew in jiffy peat pellets and trays, the humidity built where moisture was everywhere in the trays (especialy you can see the water dropplets on the top) I only added water every few days if they were not moist or looked dried out) Be careful about overer watering. . But Jiffy is probably different or could be similar from Burpees trays so I can not answer that question. Also to note when I first began doing tomatoes a few years back, I read somewhere that too much water added can cause mold which I had when they first sprout, so that is one thing that should be avoided "over watering"..

I suggest you make a new post on how to germinate with your product in the HOT Pepper Forum. Someone there can help you out much better then I can since my charapita germinated about the same time with my other hot peppers. It was just slow to grow after . I just don't want to lead you down a wrong path since I am still new as well. I can still help you after about the plant after it starts to develop, but I am lost with Burpees technology since I know they have a few systems.

I will try to dig up photos if I can find them of my charapita which I grew for 2 years. And to note... after overwintering it, it grew many more.

Best - The Butcher

Also we are getting a blizard here so if I do not respond it is because power has been out ect...

• Clint W
    8 years ago

I've been using this: http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/holiday-gift-sets/seed-starter-gift-set-prod001484.html

I planted the seeds and a section of the cells. Maintain watering and etc.

• Clint W
    8 years ago

The Butcher,

Just read your note. I appreciate it! I will check out the other forum. I keep the moist enough so that there are water droplets. Hopefully it's not too much. When/If they germinate I will be sure to hit you up for transferring to a bigger pot. Thanks!

• smokemaster_2007
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Moisture is cool for seeds to sprout BUT if you keep starts too moist they CAN get screwed up with different things-mold or ?

Haven't been here in LONG a while...

I see Charapita as a Short BURST of heat with a very grood,long lasting taste.

Similar to,as posted several Bird peppers.

I preferre them to Tepin,Chiltepin,Chiltepe etc.

• shabudin
    7 years ago

Hi...

Anybody sell charipita seed? Pls send your info to shabudin@kktmsrigading.edu.my.. I want to buy it... Thanks

• (Rosa) Lastenia Gregg
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Shabudin, do you have any or some seeds to trade? I have a few charapita seeds for trade only.

• (Rosa) Lastenia Gregg
    6 years ago

Smokemaster, I used to trade seeds with you a few years back, at the moment I don't have the seeds you want in your list, but who knows one of these days I might be able to get some you are interested in. It is good you are backin on the web again. I myself have not been on the garden web for while.

• blrayj
    5 years ago

I have carolina reaper seeds for trade

• Joe (zone 6b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I bought some from here this year and they are doing well so far:

https://www.rareseeds.com/search/?keyword=charapita

• (Rosa) Lastenia Gregg
    5 years ago

Nice to hear you got some seeds from Baker Creek and they are doing well for you, I myself run out of seeds this year and am hoping to get some production out my my two plants to save some seeds.

Sponsored