Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hatch chile peppers

Posted by hudydog 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 21:17

Just wondering if there is any difference in Hatch chile peppers and the other ones like them, such as big jim or Anaheims ? I ordered some in January and lost the seeds. They cost quite a lot so didn't want to waste more money if they are nothing special. My cooking shows I watch always go crazy about them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hatch chile peppers

Technically, there is no real chile variety known as "Hatch". Hatch is a small town between Albuquerque and Las Cruces that is famous for green chile growing and has a yearly Chile Festival. If you bought chile seeds labeled as "Hatch" variety, it may have been a variety called AgCo Fire Green which are labeled as "hot Hatch green chile" sold here in NM. There are a lot of other varieties commonly grown in this area, though, such as NuMex Heritage 6-4, Big Jim, Barker X-Hot, Joe Parker, and Sandia to name a few, with varying flavors and heat levels. Then there are some northern NM varieties such as Chimayo and Espanola. These are just the varieties I am growing this year. Big Jim is a good mild to medium variety that you can use in your recipes calling for roasted green chile and it makes great rellenos.

So I guess to answer your question, yes, there is a big difference in taste and heat level between the varieties, but Big Jim should give you what you need unless you want more heat. Enjoy :). There is no better smell in the world than roasting green chile :)

Emily

o

Thanks It all makes sense now.

o

If you go to the Chile Institute website which is run by new mexico state university, you can learn alot about the different varieties of NuMexico type peppers, as well as order seeds from them at a reasonable price.

o

The whole thing with hatch chiles is the dirt they grow in and the roasting after.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here