Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eeanr

Help Hot Pepper Problems

eeanr
10 years ago

First time growing

I am using fox farms ocean soil, T5 grow light and heat pad. Everything was going pretty good and then leaves started to yellow and getting worse. I have used Nutes once fox farm grow big. I used half a tea spoon per gallon of water.

This post was edited by eeanr on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 21:37

Comments (14)

• eeanr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture of different plant similar problem

• eeanr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same

• eeanr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More

• eeanr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• eeanr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one thanks for any input

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Don't use any fertilizer right now, and maybe cut to a 1/4 teaspoon. Let them dry out some before watering, they look too wet. Root system is rotting. In plastic pot, they stay wet a long time. So need very litle water when watering. I use peat pots at this stage because it's easy to see how wet they are, and they dry quickly, so plants never stay wet that long. They can take being dry for a day at that size. But you don't want them bone dry, but not wet either, just moist. Best error on too dry.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I, too, suspect overwatering, possibly with over-fertilization....but that's harder to diagnose. Also, if you still have the heat mat on, turn it off.

Josh

• eeanr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input, once i watered the ghost pepper in picture one it sprung up and looks alot better this morning before i left for work. It still had the yellowing but was not looking droopy anymore. Most of them look wet because i had watered most of them right before the picture. I will try letting them dry out more and not use anymore nutes. I was thinking to keep the heat mat on them because my basement averages around 61-63 degrees.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I suspect too much heat, ..85F PLUS heat mat !!!

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Stop using your heating mat once your seedlings are out. It's not a must but it seems most people quit after germination

• dwyerkg
    9 years ago

morugaman , should I keep them on heat mats when my house temp falls into the 60F range?

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

Nah, they should be fine in 60 degree temps. If you're overly worried though, I'd recommend one of the cheap space heater fans to put in the room. More reliable for me than a heating mat.

• syntria
    9 years ago

Take off the heat! It's healthy for the seedlings to get down to 50-60 at night. You want to germinate peppers, in my experiance, between 75-85 but once they're germinated they're happy in the low 70 range during the day. I also know T5's get hotter than the T8's I use. You want them within 2 inchs of the light, but I worry the T5's are too hot to have them too close, could burn them at this young stage.

I also would suggest letting the soil dry almost entirely. Wouldn't water again until the soil dries out, almost entirely but not bone-cracking dry of course. Make sure they do not sit in water. If you have these in trays usually, drain any water left.

Your soil looks kind of chunky, is that genetric potting soil (heavy/dense) or seedling soil (usually lighter/fluffier)?

Keep us updated! <3

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

This thread is exactly one year old. And the problem is history.

Happy Birthday ! lol

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County