Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habjolokia

Stinging Bhut from Scorpion_John

habjolokia z 6b/7
11 years ago

Here are my Stinging Bhuts seedling seeds from Scorpion_John. Great germination rates. I have two more not in the picture since they are just sprouting and tiny. The leaves are relaxed since pic was taken this evening. I am looking forward to having the same results and hope this pepper becomes stabilized.

If anyone who was sent seed and growing please post updates will be cool to see how they do.

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread Stinging Bhuts

Comments (39)

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

Thats an awesome looking pod in the original post, very cool. John has sent me some great seeds, great guy.

Bill

• scorpion_john
    11 years ago

Mark, they look great. Mine are a little behind yours, just got true leaves. I have 35 of them growing, and sent out seed to quite a few people so hopefully someone will get ones that grow the tail and we can use that to try another generation. I also overwintered the original plant. John

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi John, that's cool that you were able to overwinter the parent plant. Wow 35 of them, you should have at least one no doubt more that will have the trait. I have 5 going and one will go to a co-worker. I can't wait until I have pods and hope to have stingers. Hopefully more post to the thread.

Mark

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Well? hows it going? i sent this out to atleast a couple dozen people, did anyone get lucky? i started 35, lost a few, gave some to friends, kept 20 myself. they are just settting pods now. of the ones i can tell so far, 6 are gonna be regular bhuts and 2 are pretty sure to have the tail. the remaining 12 are to early to tell. let me know how you guys are doing, John

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi John, thank you for the seeds, so far one plant has no tail, but its still early. I gave one to my mom and another to a neighbor so i will check in with them to see what the results are. But I've never seen bhut pods so large, they are jumbo Bhuts to me. I will have to get a pic. I still have a few more seeds and will plant those for the 2014 season.

Mark

• Armageddon
    10 years ago

Thanks again for the seeds John i have multiple plants in ground none have set pods just yet but they are setting blooms i will try and update photos soon .

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

after checking today, its 23 I kept, not 20. so far I am lucking out. the two that are showing stingers are among the ones I have in containers. so it was easy to separate them from the others. I will repot the ones with stingers so they get more pods, they are still in 1 gallon containers. John

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the pods, picked early not by me. It's one that was given to my co-worker. I will get some ripe red ones later. But just so you can see what they look like.

John could you post some pics at least of one that is a stinger and one that should have been but did not.

Mark

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

like i said Mark, they are just set, still tiny

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

next 3 pics will be ones that aren't showing the tail, and has a lot of variation in shapes, John

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

no tail

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

no tail

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

another no tail, as you can see, the ones with no tail are much bigger, all were started at the same time. John

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice! One thing I do like about this cross even though some have no tails they make up for it in pepper size, a jumbo bhut. I have not sampled the pods I have but will this wknd. Thanks for the pics and seeds. I will grow out the remaining seeds in the 2014 season and hope to get the tail trait.

Mark

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Mark, I wouldn't bother growing the left over seeds, I can send you new seed this fall, 2ND generation. probally more likely to keep the trait. John

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi John, thanks for the offer would be interested in growing out an F2 and thanks for the updated pics. This is a pod that tried to get the stinger going next to another pod from the same plant.

Mark

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I've got a plant producing pods that look much like this. same trait, sorta?

not all the pods look like this. many have the so called "Persian slipper" shape, but the ones that don't bend have the sorta-stinger.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Mark, here's a recent pic of their progress. still growing, no color yet. I will be glad to send you f2 seeds, when they are ready you seem to be the most interested out of everybody about it. Bill and Missy, just let me know if you want in. John

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

John,

I sure would like in... I have an almost 4 foot Bhut plant from seeds you sent me last year and it is producing like crazy. There is a good amount of color.

Bill

• wjp4140
    10 years ago

WOW........... Cool looking peppers!

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

John,

Here are a few pictures I just took this morning showing the plant and some of the pods from one of the Bhut seeds you gave me at the beginning of this year. Some do not look like a "normal" Bhut, but there are a few on the plant that do look normal. This plant is right at 55 inches tall. I have gotten atleast 50 ripe pods off of it to this point and there is atleast another 50-75 on it turning colors now. This is my best producing plant by far... (It is next to a 65 inch Reaper that is full of flowers but only one pod).

The tall plant on the right with the metal stake is a Reaper. The Bhut plant is the one to the left. So much for planting 18" apart lol

Bill

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Pod cluster One, lower part of the plant.

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Pod cluster Two, mid-way part of the plant.

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

Pod cluster Three, mid-way part of the plant but on the opposite side of the plant from cluster Two.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Bill, i'm confused, is that the cross or was it regular bhut seed? I can't remember who i sent what too

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

John,

I don't know, but I do know the seeds for this plant came from you...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

They are awesome pods, but have a strong Scorpion look.
    I imagine that we're looking at the cross.

Josh

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Bill, i just can't remember if i sent you the cross or not. I know i sent you a bunch of seeds. They sure look like some of them are growing tails in the one pic. But as u can see in my pic, mine are much larger
    Mark, those jumbo ones are ripe, do you want me to save you seed from them? John

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Josh, did i send you seed for this last year? There was about 2 dozen i sent it out to. Your welcome to get in, all i ask is if your the only one to get lucky next year, i'd like some f3 seed back.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Thanks, John, but I have too many crosses already ;-)
    I didn't grow this one.

Josh

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

John, absolutely I would like to grow out f2 seeds. If I get the tail i will send the seeds for f3.

Thanks,
    Mark

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Mark, i'll send you seed, just waiting for them to ripen up. John

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

a few pics

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

another

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi John, Great pic and outcome of the second generation F2 pods, from the looks I bet those pods are hot. What's the flavor on them more a ghost or something else? I can't wait til I get some seeds to grow out the F3 this spring. Thanks for your generosity.

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 23:25

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

another plant from this cross is growing different, but cool pods

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

1 more

• seysonn
    10 years ago

O , man ! those pods look so wicked and uncivilized :

Just kidding. They look handsome. haha
    You have done a good job of raising them, John.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Mark, i haven't tried the F2 pods yet, waiting for them to get good and ripe for the seeds.The ones from last year had both bhut and scorpion tastes and burns.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor