Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppernovice

Post your setup.....

peppernovice
10 years ago

I'm always interested in seeing how other people grow their plants. Post a pic of your setup so we can learn from each other. If you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to post them. I'm always trying to improve my setup, and the quality of my plants. Here's a look at my plants under lights. The bottom are my super hots. I know preferably you want the lights 2-4 inches from the top of your plants, but these guys are getting big, so I raised the lights. I'm trying to make it another 2 weeks or so. As you can see, things are getting crowded on the bottom. The top holds my tomatoes, jalapenos, cayenne, etc.

Tim

Comments (36)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Peppernovice: Looks like you have the same setup as me on the top. I dont use the under table area though. Those peppers are looking like they really want outside.
    Bruce

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funny you should say that Bruce. About 3 years ago when I started coming here, we had a conversation about set ups. You showed me a similar picture at that time. I used that pic to come up with the idea for my bottom set up. It wasn't until this year that I added the top, which is exactly like your's.

Tim

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Those look great guys. I like the pvc pipe method. Looks easy to adjust everything. Mine is in an area that is above eye level and I can't adjust so it makes it somewhat difficult but I do what I have to do. Above my closet

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Those look great guys. I like the pvc pipe method. Looks easy to adjust everything. Mine is in an area that is above eye level and I can't adjust so it makes it somewhat difficult but I do what I have to do. Above my closet

{{!gwi}}

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Ahhhh, Peppernovice, I have a crappy memory but yes, I have discussed the setup with several list members.
    And the PVC system works great with shop lights. I didn't glue the cross members in. They are held in with small screws so that if I need to, I can swap in a longer cross member for room to add another bank or two of lights. I also did the same for the side supports so I can put in taller ones if necessary. But how I have it set up now works great for what I am doing. The lights hang by chains on "S" hooks and can be adjusted as the peppers grow. And I can add banks of lights as needed. I start out with one, then two and finally three banks. Pretty low cost setup as well. PVC pipe is CHEAP!

Marugaman: I kind of like that use of closet space..hahhaha. Problem is, my wife uses any extra space in my closet already.
    Bruce

• jutsFL
    10 years ago

I'll be following suit in the years to come with an easier set up, as you all have. For this year I built this grow box...

• jutsFL
    10 years ago

...and an older pic of this year w peppers down below:

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I don't need to post a picture.
    My setup is a copy cat of Bruce's setup. Hehe.
    I have 3 T8s hanging down on chains(same way).
    The floor s jammed to full capacity. Hardly any room for additional pots. Got the picture ?

• jutsFL
    10 years ago

It'll be better for me once I have a garage again.... Me and the ole lady are renting till we move again, so mine takes up the guest room at this point. They're on a timer, so I warn anyone who stays over that 'the sun rises at 5:45 am sharp" ;) (The pic is w no other lights on in the room)

...(and this only flys w my friends, when it's her exclusive guests - the sun rises whenever their out of bed :)

• siouxzin
    10 years ago

This is the seedling tray setup using the small soil block maker (3/4" square blocks). I have a heating mat under the capillary mat (probably a no-no but i have had had no issues). I finally added a thermostat (which is what is jammed in that glob of dirt towards the back right)

• siouxzin
    10 years ago

And.. this is the plant rack.. need more lighting and I will have to add a third level.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I have a very small set-up....just a 24-inch grow-light in my living room. This is how things look this morning.

Josh

• John A
    10 years ago

Tim - Those guys on the bottom look great and are ready to go outside. Is your weather warm enough to start hardening off?
    John A

• Dragon66
    10 years ago

These setups are so tempting. I saw plant grow bulbs at lowes. Anyone tried these and are good a source of light for a small setup?

• boilmeimirish
    10 years ago

Hey jutsfl, why 2 cups? Are there holes in the top one and water in the bottom one?

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

John....Thanks, I still have about 2 weeks to go. I try to get them out during the day when it's over 60. I posted a video. It's labeled March 20th update. Take a look if you get a chance. The plants are outside, so you get a better look at them.

• jutsFL
    10 years ago

Boilmeimirish - I had them all in clear plastic cups, and ended up reading somewhere that the roots should be kept in the dark. So I just put a classic red cup around them. In reality though, I didn't notice anything off w them when in the first cups. It was just for good measure I suppose.

...and I never used drainage holes or bottom watering, just watered the old fashioned way. Having them in the clear cups really helped for this, as I could easily visualize the moisture level at the bottoms.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Here's mine. On metal sheves from Home Depot .
    On top is a 4 ft, 4 bulb T5VHO fixture.
    Middle is a 2 bulb T12 shop light
    On Bottom if a 2 ft, 2 bulb T5HO seeding station.

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a good looking set up Drew. Do you remember how much you paid for that shelf?

Tim

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"Do you remember how much you paid for that shelf? "

Yeah $99.00, Two are very similar for the same price, this one was more heavy duty (holds 1500 pounds). They still carry the unit. 6 feet tall 24 inches deep 4 ft wide 5 shelves total, not all were used.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 7:29

• alpchilli
    10 years ago

Well the large ones have just been pruned down but they have to go back to the windowsill now as i need the space for more seedlings. Once they are all taller I might be able to fit the 2 large ones back in. Only problem with T5s is the space limit once it's put so close:) this is my first makeshift indoor setup.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I bought a VHO (very high output) T5 fixture. Now these bulbs for this fixture get very hot! 90 watts per bulb output versus 55 for regular T5. I need to keep the fan running if seedlings are close. No way will plants get leggy.
    With larger plants you always have the option to go vertical too, and rotate plant.

• alpchilli
    10 years ago

That's why I love them, vertical setup helps a lot as well. Once these guys are all grown up I can put both lights vertically on either end and hope for enough light for them. The node growth is incredible! I already have side stems poking out from the first set of leaves and they are only around 20days old.
    The only bugger about having them so close is the space limit underneath!
    Once repotted I will struggle to put half of them underneath. Even though the light scale should slightly increase in area as the light rises. I feel they all need to be directly under.... Not even a cm out from the sides or I feel they won't get the light or will lean in towards the others.

• ArtichokeMe
    10 years ago

Why are all of your plants under artificial light? Does this help them grow? mine is outside under my porch with eastern light exposure.

I attached a not so good picture but it is what it is. If you all can give me advice on my habanero setup . I'd appreciate it since it is a sick habanero :( It's in the black box in the middle.

This post was edited by ArtichokeMe on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 17:37

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Artichoke

East facing light normally means indirect light. Sunlight is better than artificial lights. But, you really need direct sunlight for some of the day. If you have your plants outside already, it means you are in a climate that is hospitable to peppers right now. Most of us are still in growing zones that won't support plant growth outside. We had a high of 27F today. So, we start our seeds and grow our peppers and other plants inside, under artificial lights until conditions are such that we can finally get them outside into the natural sunlight. Peppers like a lot of sunlight and mostly direct sun. So, when we do get them outside, we try to put them in locations that will get direct sunlight for the majority of the day which is usually South to SW facing areas. This is especially true up in the growing zones 5 and below.

I suggest that you get your Habanero and tomatoes out into the sun more. I think that will help them a lot. Also, make sure you are not overwatering the Habanero. Peppers don't like soil that stays well all the time.
    Good Luck.
    Bruce

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Essox- I decided to steal your idea and made somewhat of the same set-up, hope you don't mind (:

• ArtichokeMe
    10 years ago

Bruce thank you for your advice. The reason I put them under the porch was BC it looked like some of my leaves were burning from the sun. I'm not sure were to put them to get sunlight but not burn. I haven't set up a permanent garden area yet. I'm still studying my Arizona gardening books. I did see a master gardener but she had no clue what was wrong with it from my pictures. She did say it may have a deficiency of sorts and too much water.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

MorugaMan: I hope it works out as good for you as mine works for me. Yours look almost identical to mine. Goog luck.
    --------------------------
    Artichoke: The only time the sun will be bad for the pepper is if it is not used to real sun and then you just "harden it off" by introducing it to the direct sun slowly, otherwise, they will burn.

If the temps are very hot, say 95 and above, your peppers may need some help if it lasts for many days in a row but usually they are fine if they are kept watered.
    But I would think your pepper is hardened off fine if it has been outside for a while now and getting at least some direct sun. I suggest you move it to a place it will get more direct sunlight and maybe still do it slowly like maybe 3-4 hours per day for 4 or 5 days and them move it to where it will get even more direct sun daily. Again, watch how much you are watering it, especially if it isn't getting a lot of sun, it probably isn't drying out very fast. Getting it out to more sun should help it a lot, and should help it dry out some too between waterings.
    Bruce

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

here's my setup. notice how well I replicated outdoor conditions.

• Miguelovic
    10 years ago

Baha Drew, loving the HomeDepot special, inherited it from the previous grower. It is damnably narrow, about an inch more and I could fit the lights in and properly enclose it.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"loving the HomeDepot special, inherited it from the previous grower. It is damnably narrow, about an inch more and I could fit the lights in and properly enclose it."

The one I got is 24 inches (2 feet) wide. My 4 bulb VHO-T5 fixture is only 12 inches wide, plenty of room for me. I never did enclose it though, need to do that yet.

• kclost
    10 years ago

Here's mine. I just pulled the table out from under the two four bulb strips, height adjustable

• gjcore
    10 years ago

Not exclusively peppers though I do have quite a few.

A closer shot of some of the peppers

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Good to know I'm not that crazy, as my wife thinks so! But it appears all your set ups are more or less as much or even more than mine!
    I wish I could grow more! I suppose down the road I'll buy another light. I want to try a good LED light. All of our peppers look good! I also have tomatoes growing. And I'm going to start some strange stuff, some ornamental grass, and some wild flowers.
    I love to cook with tomatoes and peppers. Really the main reason I'm growing them. I have fruit for fresh eating.
    I have 21 raspberry plants, 75 strawberry plants 12 blackberry plants, 2 currant plants, 7 blueberry bushes, 3 peach trees, 2 nectarine trees, 1 plum, and a pluot tree with 4 grafts of different cultivars. Then at my cottage I have even more fruit. Over 16 fruit trees there. 12 currants, and about 5 wild raspberry type plants.
    I pretty much pick fresh fruit everyday from early summer to late fall. I have a veggie garden too, and other fruit too. Ground cherries, honeyberries, rhubarb etc.
    OK, maybe my wife it right! :-0

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Here is my setup:

I have 3 T8 (double bulbs) in parallel hanging over the seedlings. Just a single layer, No shelves.

The design is borrowed from Bruce with slight modification.

• MadGoofer
    10 years ago

My brand new setup to 24 inch grow bulbs in a reflective box

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County