Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obchili

First Flower

obchili
10 years ago

Hi there. I just wanted to share that as a first year grower, I got my first flower. I am so happy. Thank you to all who helped me and others as I learned a lot by reading a lot of posts.

Comments (21)

• obchili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

picture added.

• obchili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Nice looking little fella there. But it looks like if you are in zone three, that you have a ways to go before you get that guy outside. Might even be eating peppers by that time. Some will tell you to pinch the buds off to let the plant concentrate on growing roots and size. However, i wouldn't do that in your case since it has plenty of time to grow before you get him outside for the summer.
    Good luck but you didn't tell us what variety that pepper plant is.
    Bruce

• obchili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would post a type of chilli pepper, but I did not grow it. It was saved from a pod my uncle grew last year. Sorry I could not help out more with identification, but will talk to him and see if he remembers the variety.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

No big deal. Just post a picture of the pod later on down the road so we can all guess what kind it really is...hahaha
    Good luck with the little fella.
    Bruce

• User
    10 years ago

What Bruce said.

Based on the pictures, it looks like you have a lot of buds for its size and the little guy is itching to put out some pods!

Bill

• obchili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, if I am reading this correctly, it is doing fine and I should just let it do it's thing for now. Then when our 'lovely' cold weather goes, plant it outside (after slowly introducing it outside). Is this correct, if you don't mind me asking. Thank you again.

• don555
    10 years ago

That's correct. You certainly are an eager zone 3 gardener, I plan to sow my peppers around March 15.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yep, I have a Black Pearl that I planted on Christmas Day and I just noticed yesterday that it has a bunch of buds where I will have blooms in a few days. Not in the least bit worried. I will probably just let it do it's thing and not even bother snipping the buds or blooms since it is far ahead of what I prefer anyway. If it slows down a bit to bloom and put out pods, then that is fine with me. Peppers in April...yippppppeeee.

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

Hey OB, just curious to how the plant is looking now. Give us an update

• obchili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. Here are a few new pictures. Things are doing ok I guess? The first original flower is the brown colored one, and a few new ones are popping up.

• obchili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another

• obchili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lastly... Do the leaves look alright, as I feel that they are really curved downward. They are solid in place. What is the deal with all the new mini leaves? And lastly, is there a way to post more than 1 photo per post? Thank you all for the help and support with all of this.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Hard to tell, but it looks like the original flower that is brown didn't get pollinated. But you got lots of others coming on and one or more of those will likely set and you will have some pods.
    Keep us posted.
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

That plant looks fine. The leaves look fine, the flowers look fine, the stem looks fine. You are doing a good job with it so far.
    I can tell you that plant is likely not a super hot or (Chinense) variety but other than that, it is hard to tell right now. I am kind of anxious to find out what it is now. Tell it to hurry up.
    Bruce

• StupidHotPeppers
    10 years ago

In my opinion it's seems odd that the leafs always look droopy. If it were a problem I would say it's due to watering or temperature. It also could be the type of pepper it is. It looks good though. And it's normal for flowers to die. It's life. I was going to ask what variety it is till I read more haha. Are you growing under artificial light?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Morugaman brings up a good point. Make sure you are not watering too much. That looks like a pure peat mixture and if so, it will hold a lot of moisture...more than peppers generally like. And over watering can cause drooping. But the plant generally looks very healthy so don't do anything drastic. Some varieties droop like that normally and if we don't know what variety it actually is, we don't want to try to fix something that might not be broken.
    Bruce

• obchili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No artificial light. Growing here in Southern Manitoba in a greenhouse in a South facing window. We are beginning to get more light per day. So, no artificial light, only the sun (whenever it shows up). Thank you.

• obchili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a couple pics of my set-up.

• obchili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Top shelf: 2 - Caribbean Reds, 5 - of these mysterious chili peppers, 2 - Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, 3 - Brainstrain, 2 Carolina Reapers (the only 2 seeds from 4 that I got that germinated), and a sensitivity plant. I turn trays around and switch sides daily so all get a different view. And as a first time grower I was amazed that these are like sunflowers. All the plant tops strain/bend towards the window and light. These were all started early January as a test to see if I could actually grow peppers. But it looks like I may be able to do this. Second shelf are peppers that just started sprouting and are still small. Peppers there are from mild to wild as well. Even a couple rows of NuMex Twilight sprouts there for decoration (thank you for the seeds)

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for this late update, but I had confirmation on this pepper and variety. My uncle bought them again and the tag says
    East Indian / Bird Pepper. Hope this helps some.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor