Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fireman949

Is it too soon to put peppers out (mid/late March)?

fireman949
10 years ago

I know this is a subjective question, but this is the first year I've had successful peppers from seed and I want to make sure my babies get out quickly, but not so quick that the cold temps stunt their growth - and.. I don't really want to pot-up the plants.

This was my peppers on 3/02 in 3" pots:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7393/12962822855_79b8de5987_c.jpg

They are now between 6" and 9" tall with full dark green leaves.

Most of the root balls look like this:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3532/13052428934_904257ee90_c.jpg

The tallest root ball looks like this:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7431/13051367785_8a6dc6fbfb_c.jpg

For the past 8 days, I've been hardening them off - first by the storm door window with southern light for a few hours and the past two days they've been outside (protected from the heavier winds) and received two full days of sun with no adverse affects. I pull them in at night as the temps were in the upper 30s last night and mid/upper 40s tonight.

Everything I've read says the rule of thumb is 50 degrees.

I have 16'x4' cinderblock raised beds which I can cover entirely with Visqueen at night using a 'hoop' system if necessary.

I know forecasts are seldom reliable, but ours says mid 70s for the next two weeks with the lows in the upper 40s and mid 50s - only a few nights are low 40s.

April can be an interesting month with some cool nights as well - so the question is - what do I do with my peppers getting big?

Should I plant them and then cover the bed if forecast temps are below ~48 or just keep nurturing them in the small pots for another 3-4 weeks?

Comments (7)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Beauties!

I'd start leaving them out completely for the next 2 weeks. High 40's are fine for those you got. If you could rig up the plastic to where you didn't cook them in the middle of the day, then another week fully hardening. But, it's up to you.. from what I've noticed, much of the country is on a roller coaster as far as highs and lows. The last thing you want to do is put in cold soil and have them just sit there and do nothing.

Kevin

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I would wait to move them out permanently.
    Those cold nights will slow growth to a halt, and the plants will take a while to become fully active again. Play it safe is my advice.

Josh

• tomt226
    10 years ago

I've been burned way too many times by setting transplants out in March here in Texas. I'd wait 'till sometime in April and leave your hoops up and plastic ready, just in case. Maybe Income Tax day...

• rdback
    10 years ago

Let you last frost date be your guide (see link below).

Also, it's recommended your soil temp should be at least 55F. Your raised-bed will warm quicker, plus you can help it along with black mulch, row covers, etc.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA frost data

• fireman949
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The soil temps in my raised beds are around 60 degrees right now and seem to be steady there especially with the warm days we've been having.

I don't mind potting up - they are currently in 3" square pots and it looks like I can get 5.5" square pots from greenhousemegastore - will the extra 1.5" get my by for another month?

I'd rather be safe than have some non-producing peppers - I've spent too much time paying attention to them to have them poop out on me.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

That is a pepper that needs some room to grow.

When I put my plants out for the summer permanently, it is mid 40's average for the lows. Temps can and will fall into the 30's and even possibly down to freezing, but when I plant them out, I watch the forecast to make sure there isn't a cold snap in the forecast for the next week or so. After that, I feel I am pretty safe. We don't have the length of growing season in Wisconsin that many others do so we kind of have to rush them out a bit.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The size of seedling might be OK, but how about your weather? I think in any zone 7, it is too early now to plant out.
    What is your Last Avg. Frost date ?
    What are night LOWS?

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company