Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3.5 tons of horse poop

Posted by mbellot 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 0:15

Just had to share my muscle numbing pain for today. :)

I moved ~ 7 yards of composted horse manure into the garden this afternoon. According to the guy I got it from it runs ~ one ton per two yards, so seven yards weighs in right around 3.5 tons.

I sure hope the plants appreciate all the effort. LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3.5 tons of horse poop

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 1:05

I appreciate that it was you and not me.
Bruce

o

How big is your garden measured XXft by XXft? I'm thinking of getting some but don't know how much. I don't want to over or under do it.

Thanks

o
3.5 tons of horse poop

How big is your garden measured XXft by XXft? I'm thinking of getting some but don't know how much. I don't want to over or under do it.
It is rather hard to "overdo" it with the horse. With the horse (or any livestock manure), nutrient values can vary widely mainly by virtue of bedding type and bedding amounts included in the mix. The nutrients in the horse I fetch are rather greatly diluted with sawdust and wood shavings... too much carbon. But it still eventually tosses off a lot of the carbon with decomposition. As for quantity, I try to apply at least 4#/sq ft every season. This season I grabbed ~20 tons of it for a 4000 sq foot application or 10#/sq ft. Also in the matrix is chicken litter applied at ~0.60 lbs/sq ft. (comp. to a ballpark figure of ~0.15 lbs/sq ft for a commercial farm). Never had any issues with "burning" plants from too hi a concentration of N (greatly contributed by breakdown of urea). But I am careful not to apply much poultry litter directly to plants.

Reggie

o

Sandy,

I was filling a "hole", so I knew approximately how much I needed. L x W x D to get cubic feet and then divide by 27 to get cubic yards. I was adding ~6" of fill to a 24x16 raised bed.

If you're only looking to amend for nutrients and not add a lot of bulk I would shoot for 1-2" of depth.

Make sure you get manure that is already composted.

o

Hey mbellot,

I'm with Bruce... appreciate it was you and not me!

o

Bill - Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Especially if the wife says so...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here