Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colmjkenny36

Starting peppers from seed

Colm
10 years ago

Hello,

I've had some success with my garden since I started 3 years ago, but I have never been able to start hot peppers from seed. My most recent try is as follows:
- I made 2 identical start trays (36 spots each, w/ store bought starting soil)
- one tray was all tomatoes. They're sprouting like gang busters
-second tray was 1/3 cayenne, 1/3 jalape�o, and 1/3 squash. The squash is mostly sprouting, but not one pepper start has showed up 2 weeks in now
- I put the trays in full sun in the day, and bring them in at night. I've kept the soil moist after an initial soaking.
- I followed the planting instructions (1/4" deep)

So is there a trick to peppers? Everything else I've tried has grown.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Peppers need higher SOIL temperature, like 86F. At that temperature they germinate in about a week. To germinate , they don't need light , but like heat. In direct sun, the soil that they are in can dry up pretty quickly which can compromise germination. I would cover them with some newspaper. OR if it is warm (75F+) I would keep them somewhere with defused light.

ANOTHER THING: I think 1/4" deep for pepper seeds is bit too deep. AND you cannot compare squash to peppers when it comes to germinating.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Colmjkenny: Yes. Even in Socal, it cools down too much at night to leave them out at night, but even bringing them in probably isn't going to be warm enough. Do you have a spot(maybe a closet) where you could maybe place a small heater or some incandescent light bulbs to heat the area up to like 80-85F?. It can be in the dark until sprouting. And just leave them there until sprouting. Once they sprout, then you can do the "outside during day, in at might" thing.

Of course, once they start sprouting, you may have to cut out the sprouted ones and get some light while the other ones lag behind in sprouting.

Kevin

• Colm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Appreciate the feedback. Last question, 2 weeks in now, do I need to start over w seeds, or can I just start keeping them warm at night? (Basically, I'm wondering if the 2 weeks soaked but 2 cold might make them rot or ruin the germination).

Thanks

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Give them another week. Might want to start some more though.

This time of year, it just might be easier to go to the nursery and pick up some starts. Don't know if they'd have Cayenne in 6 packs though.

That's a lot of squash! LOL Hope you like it... a lot. With the squash, you'll only want to leave them in those cells for a couple weeks before hardening off.

Kevin

• andyinnyc
    10 years ago

It's an added expense, but I love seedling heat mats. I have several of different sizes in the basement and get outstanding (and quick) germination. I get the soil damp, plant the seeds, cover with a clear plastic dome and drop on the mat. Great results even from old seeds.

I'm not using a thermostat with them.

Every day when I wander downstairs I take the lid off and give them some air - this, I'm told, also helps inhibit mold from growing if the soil is too damp.

The mats get used for seeds, fig cuttings and even a science experiment or two by the kids. They have (so far, fingers crossed) lasted for years.

Given today's energy efficient appliances, the old advice to 'put the trays on top of the fridge' no longer works - so there's at least one downside to technological advances.

Andrew

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

> " I think 1/4" deep for pepper seeds is bit too deep."

I disagree. The deeper the less likely they are to dry out and deeper sets really do decrease the incidence of helmet head.

I germinate in paper towels, but once germinated I set them about 1/2" deep (maybe a bit less).

Dennis

Sponsored