Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brien_nz

Tip for chopping Habaneros (and other hotties)

brien_nz
11 years ago

I discovered this accidentally when making a recipe that called for 6 anchovie fillets chopped, so my chopping board had a little oily patch on it. I halved the habanero lengthwise and removed the stem and seeds and then pressed both sides of each half in the oil before chopping finely. Afterwards my hand was quite oily but I just rinsed it off in warm water. I had absolutely no burning afterwards.

Brien

Comments (12)

• plant_newbie_2010
    11 years ago

Cool!=) Ya, I've heard that capsaicin is fat-soluble!=D

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Also, if you refrigerate the pepper for a few hours so its good and cold before you cut it, it won't aerosolize nearly as much (it won't smell and burn your eyes). Same goes for onions too.

• natebetween
    11 years ago

That's good to know. Stepped into a restaurant recently ("Da Poke Shack" in Kona, HI) while during a pepper cutting frenzy (habaneros or serranos if I remember correctly) and I immediately started coughting like crazy. Stayed with me for nearly half an hour...it was really bad. I recently started both hab and serrano seedlings and don't want to do the same thing to myself in the future. I'm sure the volume of peppers they were cutting was huge, but it was not a good feeling. Great tips to consider, the oil and the refrigeration.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

If you spend any time at all growing and processing hot peppers, you will mace yourself...more than once. It kind of goes with the territory. :-)

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Mace in the face I can handle.

Its when I forget to wear gloves and then go pee that make me regret ever having been born with one of those.

1 million plus scovilles to the junk is a great way to make even the best of days into the worst of days.

• natebetween
    11 years ago

re: "1 million plus scovilles to the junk is a great way to make even the best of days into the worst of days.
    "

Ha ha....this comment was the perfect way to start out my morning. Thanks.

• willardb3
    11 years ago

Once burned, twice shy hopefully.

• spencers_mom2
    11 years ago

A few years ago I was making habanero jelly and was wearing gloves.. however my knife washing skills must have been lacking that day because my male roommate at the time used said knife, then used the restroom.. then ran to the shower. When he was done being mad at me we called him Hunan Willie for a week.

Protect others as you would protect yourself. ;)

Also, I love anchovies.. glad they have more uses than just being yummy.

• sandysgardens
    11 years ago

Yep, if you're dealing with hotties, somethings bound to happen sooner or later.

• User
    11 years ago

OK, maybe I'm a little slow but is the lesson here to rub your ... with anchovies before cutting peppers in case mother nature calls???

Just askin.

Signed,

Confused in Ottawa

• spencers_mom2
    11 years ago

Lmao Bill.. we need a "like" button like facebook.. that's awesome.

• User
    11 years ago

Actually, a friend had the unfortunate "mother nature" urge while cutting Habs.

His girlfriend came home from work and found him lathering his ... with yogurt in the shower. Let's just say he had some no, I'm not a freak explaining to do.

Sponsored