Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tip for chopping Habaneros (and other hotties)

Posted by brien_nz New Zealand (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 1:33

I discovered this accidentally when making a recipe that called for 6 anchovie fillets chopped, so my chopping board had a little oily patch on it. I halved the habanero lengthwise and removed the stem and seeds and then pressed both sides of each half in the oil before chopping finely. Afterwards my hand was quite oily but I just rinsed it off in warm water. I had absolutely no burning afterwards.
Brien

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tip for chopping Habaneros (and other hotties)

Cool!=) Ya, I've heard that capsaicin is fat-soluble!=D

o

Also, if you refrigerate the pepper for a few hours so its good and cold before you cut it, it won't aerosolize nearly as much (it won't smell and burn your eyes). Same goes for onions too.

o

That's good to know. Stepped into a restaurant recently ("Da Poke Shack" in Kona, HI) while during a pepper cutting frenzy (habaneros or serranos if I remember correctly) and I immediately started coughting like crazy. Stayed with me for nearly half an hour...it was really bad. I recently started both hab and serrano seedlings and don't want to do the same thing to myself in the future. I'm sure the volume of peppers they were cutting was huge, but it was not a good feeling. Great tips to consider, the oil and the refrigeration.

o

If you spend any time at all growing and processing hot peppers, you will mace yourself...more than once. It kind of goes with the territory. :-)

o

Mace in the face I can handle.

Its when I forget to wear gloves and then go pee that make me regret ever having been born with one of those.

1 million plus scovilles to the junk is a great way to make even the best of days into the worst of days.

o

re: "1 million plus scovilles to the junk is a great way to make even the best of days into the worst of days.
"

Ha ha....this comment was the perfect way to start out my morning. Thanks.

o

Once burned, twice shy hopefully.

o

A few years ago I was making habanero jelly and was wearing gloves.. however my knife washing skills must have been lacking that day because my male roommate at the time used said knife, then used the restroom.. then ran to the shower. When he was done being mad at me we called him Hunan Willie for a week.

Protect others as you would protect yourself. ;)

Also, I love anchovies.. glad they have more uses than just being yummy.

o

Yep, if you're dealing with hotties, somethings bound to happen sooner or later.

o

OK, maybe I'm a little slow but is the lesson here to rub your ... with anchovies before cutting peppers in case mother nature calls???

Just askin.

Signed,

Confused in Ottawa

o

Lmao Bill.. we need a "like" button like facebook.. that's awesome.

o
RE: 2Tip for chopping Habaneros (and other hotties)

Actually, a friend had the unfortunate "mother nature" urge while cutting Habs.

His girlfriend came home from work and found him lathering his ... with yogurt in the shower. Let's just say he had some no, I'm not a freak explaining to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here