Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning a Caribbean Red Hab

Posted by brian6464 4a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 2:01

I wintered this plant inside and it has grown quite a bit but mainly to one side. It is currently flowering. Can I just prune some off the one side now? Or would this be a bad time? I plan on getting it outside in a week or so.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning a Caribbean Red Hab

Right now would be a good time.

o

Yes, I would prune now.
I'd trim it back to the edge of the container, essentially.

Josh

o

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

I've only pruned random branches during growing season, never so much of a vibrant, flowering plant.

Are there general rules for when and how much to prune on plants of this size?

o

It's something you get a feel for as you do it and see the results. In this case the call is easy as those long limbs will eventually break - inevitably with a full load of nearly ripe pods. For more details, search for "pruning techniques". Pictures will be more educational than words.

Dennis

o

Brian: You want to give a tutorial on overwintering peppers? That's one of the healthiest I've ever seen and very lush for this time of the year. Especially in your zone.

Kevin

o

Pruning it sooner would have been ideal. You wanna do it in the winter. But since it is early in the season it wouldn't have a significant effect on the plant. In fact it will probably help the plant. In general, deformed, broken, or growth that is excessive, relative to the rest of the plant should be pruned.

o

I agree with Kevin, that's one beautiful plant.

Would love to hear how you did it even though it rarely gets freezing here in Southern California.
Others would def benefit :-)

o

Other than the fact I let it get a little unruly, it did work out well. I guess I just didn't overthink it too much. I watered every 4 to 5 days and fertilized every 3 to 4 weeks. I'm surprised it did so well since it only got 3 to 4 hours of sun per day (and that's also considering the Minnesota winter days with no sun).

Now I need to plan which of my plants to pot this year so I can bring them inside before the snow flies again.

I did prune it quite a bit today. Thanks for the pointers.

o

Other than the fact I let it get a little unruly, it did work out well. I guess I just didn't overthink it too much. I watered every 4 to 5 days and fertilized every 3 to 4 weeks. I'm surprised it did so well since it only got 3 to 4 hours of sun per day (and that's also considering the Minnesota winter days with no sun).

Now I need to plan which of my plants to pot this year so I can bring them inside before the snow flies again.

I did prune it quite a bit today. Thanks for the pointers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here