Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Questions about Tobago Seasoning Peppers

northerner_on
13 years ago

Hello everyone: I am a hot pepper user and lover and for the first time last year, I accepted some seeds of Tobago Seasoning in a trade. I grew them, had a bumper crop, and loved them. They turned out to be hotter and more flavourful than described and together with scotch bonnets made very good hot sauce. I saved seeds for the Tobago's, Scotch bonnets, and habs. which I grew last year and I cannot get germination of the Tobag. Seasonings - the others a fine. My questions are:

- has anyone tried sowing seed saved from T.S. plants?

- is it possible that plants from the seeds on the market do not provide viable seeds?

- if they do provide viable seeds, is there anyone out there who has some available for trade? I have some fairly interesting hot peppers in my stash.

If you are interested in trading, pls. send me an e-mail. Thank you.

Northerner.

Comments (6)

• ajijoe
    12 years ago

did you harvest the seeds from fully ripened pods or where they green in any way

sometimes that is the problem if not im not sure

however try soaking your seeds in warm water until the soften up and then plant them, keep them in a warm place also

hope this helps thanks your friend Joe

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Joe: I am certain my seeds were saved from a fully red pepper, but what you have said made me think about some other factors which may have been in force. There were some peppers which I harvested while a bit green and which turned red as they sat on the counter. Also, some of them ripened while the plant was indoors. Maybe I could have used one of those.

As far as germination goes, I always germinate my seeds between damp coffee filters over the heat vent in my dining room. I have about ten different varieties which germinated that way and are growing well under lights already, so I think that's not a problem.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
    Northerner.

• llaz
    12 years ago

Have you tried Byron's weak tea method? It works well for me. Try entering it in the search for this forum. It's been reprinted many times. Also, some hot peppers can take weeks to germinate.
    Lou

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Lou: Thanks for your info. I have been using Byron's method for two years even though I don't think it has improved my germinaion rates. All my peppers (about 9 varieties) were sown by Byron's method on March 22, and they have all germinated except TS, so I know something is wrong with the seeds. I really hope I get some.

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

Non,

These peppers have a thing about being 100% fully ripe and even over ripe on the plant before the seed are mature. If you can get some to grow, make a point of letting them get over mature on the plant before harvesting seed.

I have about 15 plants each of Trinidad Seasoning, Trinidad Perfume, and Tobago seasoning in a tray in the greenhouse. They will go in the ground sometime this week.

DarJones

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SURPRISE!!!SURPRISE!!! I had given up on my pepper seeds and was arranging a trade when I realized I had 3 seeds left, so I sowed them. Well, two days ago, I opened the coffee filter and there it was - one solitary sprout!! I could not believe it. It took exactly one month to germinate, and now it is safely under lights. Thankfully, I did manage to get some seeds in a trade, so if this plant produces fruit, I'll have more seeds to share with my hot pepper friends. How lucky can one get?!