Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clee22_gw

What are these crystal like structures on leaves?

clee22
11 years ago

I have noticed that there is a growth or infestation of some sort...I have been so worried and don't know what to do.

Comments (15)

• don555
    11 years ago

Could be nothing to worry about, like maybe the plants suffered some sort of stress or grew right up against grow lights or something so react with odd leaves. Could be insect damage -- look underneath the leaves in the damaged areas to look for thrips, spider mites, aphids, etc. Or could be something much worse like tobacco mosaic virus (though I don't see the mosaic pattern) or some other disease. Check for insects and treat if needed. Otherwise I'd just grow them and see if it is a temporary issue or gets worse.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

What are the growing conditions like? Has anything in the environment changed? Watering, fertilization, or hardening off?

Mark

• clee22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No insects except gnats and adequate drainage of water. I am using empire builder and bottled water. I just picked up fox farms steamed bone meal for nutrients NPK. They are under a 48" shop light and I hope its nothing but I simply have no clue.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

I would nix the bottled water see this thread below. Have you at any time placed outside under the sun?

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Bottled water, rain, tap

• clee22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will place them by the windows then transition them out...I don't really have access to rain water as of now we have been fairly dry throughout the seasons and I believe reports state we are short 7inches this year.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

I saw something similar to this with sweet potatoes I was practicing on earlier in the year. I forget it's name, but basically its that the plant is getting more water than it can evaporate out through the leaves, and some of the cells are rupturing and their juicy innards are crystalizing out onto the leaf surface.

Caused by too much water + too much humidity.

• clee22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I THINK THAT MAYBE it!!!I have them under a dome and i'll be honest I can't help but water them. I think your absolutely right. I am worried about under-watering. So the resolution needless to say is just stop watering so much right?

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

If you are under-watering the plant will tell you. Listen to it.

• clee22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yea I have tried to grow stuff but have only had 2 peppers in all my years of gardening. I also had problems of pollen-less flowers...but I think and pray the nutrients I bought will help. So what are you guys growing?

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Peppers do not like water. They like being dry as much as possible. Do not put them under humidity domes, and do not water until they begin to wilt from the lack of it.

Its hard to get into that mindset, but your peppers will be happier and healthier for it. Simply do not water until you see the leaves drooping.

• pepper_rancher
    11 years ago

Allow me to support the others in saying "put the watering can down!"

Like edymnion said, water only when they start drooping. They will usually perk right back up within minutes of getting the water, so dont worry that you are hurting them by doing that...

• clee22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you gentlemen I have to train myself now...I try to nurture them like babies...its so hard though

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yeah, babying your plants is the surest way to kill them. Our jobs are to give them what they need, then get out of their way. The more attention you give a plant, the more likely you are to kill it.

• cjohansen
    11 years ago

I watered my plants this Saturday, and that was 9 or so days since the last watering. They were bone dry, but only a few where actually drooping. They perked right back up. I water all the plants at the same time, because it's simply too impractical to give all 50 of them individual attention, especially because they sit pretty tight in my setup...

• tsheets
    11 years ago

The best way I've heard it is "wait until they wilt, then water the day before". :-)

It is worth noting that there's a fine balance using the wilt method. If something comes up where you can't check them every day, say you go out of town for the weekend or something, if it's at the wrong time, that wild could be very serious by the time you get back. Just be careful.

Sponsored