Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing characteristics of different peppers

Posted by cjohansen none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 4:42

Now that my peppers are all a few months old, I'm starting to recognize some "personalities" and was wondering if they match with what others are seeing, or if (some of) it is a result my environment.

Most importantly I've noticed that my poblanos are growing tall, but with a relatively weak/flexible stem, no forks so far, and leaves spaced out quite a bit. Is this normal for these plants?

Yellow Habaneros
These plants are my shortest, but they are very dense and have lots of big, deep green shiny leaves. Beautiful plant.

Aji limon
Also tall, but somewhat weak stemmed. These guys have huge leaves, more round than the other varieties I'm growing.

Thai
A very bushy plant. Among my plants, they are medium tall, but seem hellbent on filling every single gap along its stem with new growth. They're making new branches and tons of small leaves.

Jalapeños and ring of fire
These are very similar. Big, sturdy plants with lots of forking. These were my first to grow big, so I suspect the sturdiness is a result of them getting good fan exercise before the setup got overcrowded.

Serrano
These have lots of new growth along the stem as well, but are taller than the thai, and not as bushy.

Hungarian hot wax
Tall nice plants, like the jalapeños, only not quite as strong, and not quite as dense.

So, do you guys recognize these characteristics? In particular, are some varieties weaker stemmed than others, or is this a result of overcrowding on my part? In any case, is there anything else than working them with a fan I can do to train them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing characteristics of different peppers

My poblanos: Not growing well at all. I think I got a bad batch of seed. Only one survives. So I can't compare to yours.

Thai: Initially vigorous and quite tall, with small leaves that try to fill all the gaps. Not mature enough to see final form.

HHW: Another disappointment. Look like thai with larger leaves, but not growing well enough to tell final form. One survives and I may kill it on general principles.

Habs: Sound like a typical C.chinense (eg bhut). I'm not growing any hab (or serrano) from seed this year but your description fits my C.c's.

Aji limon: Not growing.

Sounds to me like you have very healthy, typical plants.

Dennis

o

Sounds about right to me.

o

My Aji Limon are definitely very twiggy.

o

So i like this thread and im growing some SUPER HOTS.

Naga Viper: Starts out with two initial leaves followed by one giant spade leaf and an identical, smaller leaf. This pattern seems to repeat as the both of the original leaves grow bigger and bigger eventually producing similar leaves after. Although i would like more info on them I cant seem to find anyone with that info.

Im also growing Charleston Pepper, Yatzy Pepper, and Giant Jalepeno. These plants are small as of now but I cant find anyone who seems to grow these, with the exception of the Jalepeno. Anyone wanna help?

o
bear with me, here come pictures of some plants.

This is my most developed plant thus far. Charleston pepper.

o

Here is a juvenile Naga Viper, again, small "spade" leaf and a large one.

o

here is a Naga Viper but a bit older. More Spade leaves developing. this is my baby lol

o

last of all my Yatzy pepper. Im not sure at ALL how this is going to turn out mainly because the Yatzy pepper, when mature, virtually has NO leaves and simply an abundance of fruits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here