Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjohansen_gw

Growing characteristics of different peppers

cjohansen
10 years ago

Now that my peppers are all a few months old, I'm starting to recognize some "personalities" and was wondering if they match with what others are seeing, or if (some of) it is a result my environment.

Most importantly I've noticed that my poblanos are growing tall, but with a relatively weak/flexible stem, no forks so far, and leaves spaced out quite a bit. Is this normal for these plants?

Yellow Habaneros
These plants are my shortest, but they are very dense and have lots of big, deep green shiny leaves. Beautiful plant.

Aji limon
Also tall, but somewhat weak stemmed. These guys have huge leaves, more round than the other varieties I'm growing.

Thai
A very bushy plant. Among my plants, they are medium tall, but seem hellbent on filling every single gap along its stem with new growth. They're making new branches and tons of small leaves.

Jalapeños and ring of fire
These are very similar. Big, sturdy plants with lots of forking. These were my first to grow big, so I suspect the sturdiness is a result of them getting good fan exercise before the setup got overcrowded.

Serrano
These have lots of new growth along the stem as well, but are taller than the thai, and not as bushy.

Hungarian hot wax
Tall nice plants, like the jalapeños, only not quite as strong, and not quite as dense.

So, do you guys recognize these characteristics? In particular, are some varieties weaker stemmed than others, or is this a result of overcrowding on my part? In any case, is there anything else than working them with a fan I can do to train them?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company