Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anaheim question

Posted by kuvaszlvr 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 8:31

Hey guys need some help. A woman at the office commented that she got some anaheims at the store and they were very mild (she does NOT like heat) and she really liked them. She wanted to get some pepper plants from me, but I think the mildest Anaheim I have is Anaheim, (and regular Anaheims, at least mine, are no where near as big as the ones in the stores). I also have Big Jim and 6-4 but they can both get pretty warm. My question, do any of you know know which is the mildest Anaheim (or NuMex) variety? It'd be nice if there was a Fooled You Anaheim. ;-)
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anaheim question

Pam: From this list, It looks like a few may work.

NewMex R Naky chili pepper
Sonora chili pepper
Anaheim chili pepper

Good luck.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: from chilipeppermadness website

o

Thanks Kevin, I didn't realize R Naky was an Anaheim I've considered growing it over the years (the picture on the Chile Pepper Institutes site is really pretty) but never got seeds, maybe I will this year. I hadn't heard of Sonora. Both of those might be something to try, some people prefer the milder peppers, even I do sometimes. ;-)
Pam

o

I have had a lot of success with the NuMex Big Jim. The seeds are easy to find and the peppers are quite large.

-UPucker

o

Pam: It's a hybrid of 3 different peppers, I guess. Click on the details on that site. Might suit your needs or not. :)

UPucker: Big Jim's are actually one of the hotter Anaheims.

Kevin

o

Good to know. I have found alot of range in heat between different Big Jim's I grew last year. I picked 15-20 at once so I dont know which peppers came from each plant. But we made all of them into rellenos and some were much hotter than others.

-UPucker

o

Yeah. Agree on the wide ranging on the heat. Pisses me off a tad when i specifically go out of the way to make a dish "mild" for others and they still complain it's hot.

Doesn't even have to be plant to plant -- can be pod to pod.

Kevin

o

What you know !! I never knew that there are so many kinds of Anaheim. I alway thought that they are sweet peppers.

Now, I am growing some this year. I'll find out what those are in a couple of months.

o

I buy them regularly from a local produce company here in MN, and they are not hot compared to the ones ive grown. Same with the anaheims available at the local jumbo grocery stores(Cub and Rainbow)

Those shipped in anaheims are also are pale lime green color compared to the less pale lime green of the Big Jims.

Hmmmm Which are the anaheims in this pic? Lets play name those peppers.

o

Upucker, that is some colorful tray of peppers there.
Of course, Anaheim can get red too when left to mature.

In that tray I can identify a few:

Aji Lemon
Jalapeno
Habanero
Poblano
Anaheim (big pale green ?)
Hungarian HW (smaller pale green??)

o

are those bigger fatter red ones Beaver Dam? Looks like some Pepperoncinis in there too.

You guys were talking about the heat variability (I tell people that Annuums are psychotic due to that). But I got a good one. One time I took some Beaver Dams and sliced them in 1/2 lengthwise and filled with meat mixture and cheese. I took 1/2 of one and my husband took the other. My 1/2 had essentially no heat, he complained and complained about how hot his was. Yeah, sure.. so I took a bite, it was a LOT hotter than my 1/2. sheesh... same damn fruit.
Pam

o

Hi Pam,

I was wandering around the other day and stumbled across the article linked below. It was written in 2008, so doesn't include the "Heritage" line, but still worth a look.

Rick

P.S. Scroll down a few screens worth until you see the table.

Here is a link that might be useful: NMSU pepper SHUs

o

thank you very much for the link, the table and all the info following it is great info. actually, at the bottom of the table they have the Heritage peppers.
Pam

o

You're right - the Heritage peppers are on there. For some reason, I thought the Heritage line had more than two pepper varieties and certainly were developed after 2008.

....damn I'm getting old.

Rick

o

hahaha, I feel your pain Rick. :-)
Pam

o

hey, after looking at that table, maybe you guys can help me out here. I have read several of the chile pepper institute's papers. I have noticed that they seem to put an extra "0" at the end of their scovilles, such that, a jalapeno - instead of being the 2500-5000 rating that I have always seen, they say 25,000-50,000. I've been confused over that for some time now. Anyone have an answer?
Pam

o

Pam: My guess is either a typo(there's some college tuition going to waste...:P) or they really did develop an extra hot Jalapeno. I only notice it on that list with the Japs at first glance.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here