Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvaszlvr

jalapeno varieties

kuvaszlvr
11 years ago

Hi Guys, I'm trying to figure out all the various Jalapeno varieties, I just wanted to see if you all knew of any ones that I do not have on my list, so far I have:

Agriset
biker billy
bubba
chichimeca
Conchos
Delicias
early
el jefe
felicity
firenza
fooled you
giant (not sure if itâÂÂs the same as gigantia)
gigantia
goliath
grande
jalapa
jalapeno
jalastar
jaloro
Jumbo
M mammoth
Mitla
Numex jalmundo
Numex Jalmundo
Numex Pinata
Numex primavera
Numex Vaquero
purple
Sayula
senorita
tam
telica
Tormenta

Pam

Comments (13)

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

Damn, There is that many varieties... You got my curiosity going now.

Bill

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep, and I know there's more, like.. grandpas favorite, or something like that. Sorry I didn't put down which were hybrids, I should do that, but I only know of a few that are so I'd have to look up a lot of the others. ;-)
    Pam

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

Found a new one this year Tajin.
    A Monsanto Hybrid - not GMO so I read...

Sport , Jalapeno M , Jalapeno Heaven , Jalapeno Hercules , Jalapenolite , chilipeno , Giant Aldi ,potato (heavily corked skin) and I've probably got a few more named for the place in Mexico they are from/Landrace varieties.

Bubba is also A C. Baccatum variety GRIF 9221.

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 15:11

• abnorm
    11 years ago

My best producer....Mucho Nacho hybrid

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, I forgot all about Mucho Nacho. Bad Pam.

Smoke, I've heard of the sport pepper, is it the same? I thought the sport was similar to a tabasco. I have never heard of the ones you've listed (other than M, that's in my list - ooops, sorry, the line with Mammoth got combined, apparently garden web does not like to have a line with a single letter, tried to do them on 2 lines and it combined them again... oh well.)

so, smoke, have you tried them all? if so, how about a critique. I grow, reg. jalapeno, biker billy, jalastar, jaloro, purple, senorita, and tam. But, I'm wanting to add some more varieties.

Pam

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

I have grown a few on your list. Chichimeca and Ixtapa have been excellent performers for me. I know some 70 varieties by name, but many are not readily available. Ebano, Euforia, Capsico, Compadre, Colima, Centella etc

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No way farmerdill, you don't get off that easy "etc" I want names. :-) So far I don't think I've heard of any of the ones you have listed. Btw, some more questions,

1) best flavor (so far the best flavor to me is Biker Billy, but is there one that tastes even better?)?

2) hottest? I have seen info that says Jalastar is 8-30,000 scovilles, and others that say 5-8,000 (same as Biker billy).

3) most productive in hot climates?

4) rarest?

5) most unusual color? Jaloro - yellow; purple jalapeno - purple;... There's a black somewhere too.

6) biggest?

so... any answers to my questions?

Pam

This post was edited by kuvaszlvr on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 8:10

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

Pepper Joe advertises a Black Jalapeno."A really cool Jalapeno Pepper. All Jalapeno's are prone to getting a black 'blush' on their shoulder...the side facing the sun. This Black Jalapeno was bred to be almost totally black. It is sweet and tasty. Show this beauty off to your neighbors and gardening buds. It is very easy to grow and is ideal for container gardening. Very prolific. Ever try a Black Jalapeno pepper sauce? Delicious.." Never tried it. Many varieties are almost black just before ripening to red.

Taste is relative. Hottest I have grown is Jalapeno M. Billy Biker is reported as hotter. I prefer Jalapenos in the 5000- 6000 scu range. Mildest that I have grown TAM mild. Hvae not tried Fooled You or False Alarm as a jalapeno with no heat has little appeal for me.

Most rare, Smoke would have to answer that as I mostly look for disease resistance and productivity which means commercial varieties.

I am currently growing Chichimeca, but am going to trial El Ray or Colima next year if I am still around. Possibly even PS 11435810.

As for a list of names, one of the most complete is in plantfiles. We are not allowed to link to that website here.

Ixtapa

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info farmerdill... so far, biker billy is my favorite, mostly cos it is so sweet. So, (you-know-who's) plant files? I didn't think of them, I'll take a look and see what they have listed. I agree with you on the heat, I grow senorita for my cousin, it is about 500 scovilles, I've got another friend that loves fooled you... yuck. Tam can get some heat, and it's very productive. It's not worth eating without heat. ;-)
    Pam

• rdback
    10 years ago

Hi Pam.

So far, IâÂÂve grown:

Biker Billy F1
    Coyame
    Jaloro
    M
    Mucho Nacho
    NuMex Jalmundo
    Purple
    TAM
    Traveler Strain (Pierce Natural Farm)
    Viera Market (collected at FarmerâÂÂs Market in Viera, FL)
    Waialua (U of Hawaii - not really a Jalapeno, but compared to one)

Out of this list, the only ones I grow repeatedly are Biker Billy, Jalmundo and Viera Market. I usually try a new one every year, so I decided to try Waialua for 2013.

IâÂÂm also saving seed from Biker Billy (a hybrid) and growing it out. This year will be F4.

IâÂÂd recommend NuMex Jalmundo, if you havenâÂÂt grown it yet. ItâÂÂs fatter than a regular jalapeno - great for vertical stuffing!

Good luck with your list!

Rick

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So Rick, are your Biker Billy's identical to the originals? Biker Billy is my favorite jalapeno. I've thought of trying to grow them out cos I absolutely hate paying Burpee's outrageous prices, seed prices are bad enough, but their shipping (and of course it cost's $5 to ship 2 packets of seeds when they put it in a big box full of their catalogs, what a rip off). TAM's are ok, I grow them, and I've grown the purple but I didn't like it, mine seemed to have a very tough skin. I have NuMex Jalmundo on my list for next year, thanks for the info!
    Pam

• romy6
    10 years ago

Here are some varieties that have not been mentioned ( i think)that my friend Stefan ( meatfreak ) is growing this year. He loves Jalapenos more than most:) I copied this out of his grow log so the numbers on the right are his germination rates.

Jalabanero F4 3/2
    Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
    Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
    Jalapeño Colima 3/3
    Jalapeño Coyame4/4
    Jalapeño CraigâÂÂs Grande3/3
    Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
    Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
    Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
    Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
    Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
    Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
    Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
    Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
    Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
    Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
    Jalapeño Master 2/0
    Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
    Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
    Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
    Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
    Jalapeñona

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, there's a lot I hadn't heard of... Dark Red? that sounds interesting... Farmers Market potato??? Dulce? I wonder if that is a heatless one, since Aji Dulce is a heatless hab. Thanks for the list, the names just keep growing.
    Pam

Sponsored