Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drying poblanos

Posted by petula9 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 9:31

What's your favorite method of drying poblanos to make anchos? How difficult is it to do well without a dehydrater? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drying poblanos

I dry everything into a paprika type powder.

I havest in the fall. freeze the peppers. then thaw out in the winter and most of the moisture falls out. I grind up the mush and then I put the mush on top of the furnace or other hot spot and turn the mess as often as possible until it drys well. then I put back into the blender and grind them up again. and dry some more.

I thn take the dry paprika and put into sealed glass jars and put into the freezer for longer storage.

o
RE: drying poblanos

Petula9,

Unless you live in a low humidity area it's pretty hard to air dry them w/o getting mold. Not saying impossible, but I've never been successful here in Missouri with that large a pod.

I would suggest using your oven at the very lowest possible setting with the door cracked open slightly. Some years back I remember someone used a microwave to partially remove moisture. Lowest setting and for a very short time repeated over and over so as to not cook the pods. Poke the whole pods a few times so air and moisture can escape from the inside.

I'm assuming you want them whole so can reconstitute and perhaps stuff them (rellenos) later?

jt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here