Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianlori

Planting seed outside

CanadianLori
11 years ago

I'm a newbie at this pepper growing. I had previously started my seeds in pots inside, then transplanted to hanging pots outside. Well, a couple years ago I left my pots in the care of a relative who did not water them and I returned to petrified pepper plants. This is in mid June. I used what seed I had on hand to replant directly in the pots - and these did extremely well and though the crop was not available until late September, I still felt fortunate. Last year I sewed direct again in late May. I plan to direct plant outside at the end of April in hopes that I can get a jump on the season. Anyone else tried it this early?

Comments (10)

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Are these sweet, or hot peppers that you are starting if you don't mind my asking? If it were me, I'd try to start indoors if you can and have the space. I started my sweet peppers the 22nd of february. May have been a little too soon, but they are itching to go out.

At this point in the year though, I'd start them asap. That's just me though.. I'm not sure when your average last frost date is however.. can you provide what types of peppers and where you are located state wise?

• penguinsrock09
    11 years ago

If you are indeed in zone 5 you should definitely be starting the seeds indoors under lights. Sure you may be able to germinate seeds in July but for the vast majority of pepper types (both hot and mild) that does not leave them enough time to reach maturity and put out ripe pods by the time the season winds down.

If they do manage to set ripe pods you're lucky. Most plants started indoors will set ripe pods multiple times a season so you are missing out on the true productivity of your plants.

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have been growing Ring of Fire, Jalapeno and last year was my first for Habanero.
    After reading some of the posts here I have ordered seeds that are 7 Pot and Scorpion from Midwest Chile Heads.
    As a by the by, I use the peppers to make jellies, hot breads and sauces for home made pizzas. I cannot eat anything spicy but most of my friends and relatives love it!

• don555
    11 years ago

In zone 5 Canada -- Ottawa is in that zone -- you grew habaneros to ripe fruit from direct planted seed? Since most peppers are started indoors 8 weeks or more before planting outside in zone 5, even longer for habs, that's.... oh, wait, April Fool's, right? Even if you are in one of the zone 5 desert areas in BC's interior I find that hard to believe.

If I'm missing something and this isn't an April Fools, then no, you can't plant directly outside in April and expect anything to grow. Peppers need heat to germinate and frost is a killer. In zone 5 there isn't much any heat in April and there is frost.

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I'm in zone 5 - I'm in Oakville. Yes, I grew them from seed and got a fair amount of fruit. The first time I tried starting the seeds inside I had used potting soil (and it wasn't cheap) and before it was time to take the plants outside these horrible little flies started up flying around my kitchen - sure enough from the plants. So my partner forbids me to start inside again.Last year for the first time in years (because moisture got to my stash of seed) I had ordered the seeds from Stokes and the habs were on back order and didn't arrive until May, so I planted all of my seeds outside at the end of May. This was my first year trying habaneros and I worried because they took so long to sprout. In September it started getting pretty chilly and I was worried about frost so I built a mini greenhouse out of 1x2s and plastic to try to extend the season and I did manage to keep harvesting until just before Halloween. My whole set up is off the ground, on my deck or hanging in pots around my deck. I am making my quasi greenhouse bigger this year so that I can put all of the pots in there until there is no fear of frost and perhaps start earlier. Some gals have flowers hanging around - me, it's peppers!

• ab2008
    11 years ago

The flies were most likely from the soil you used. I, however have not had any bad experiences with any bugs, though. You can sterilize the soil if you are really concerned about it by cooking it a little while in the oven (I can't recall the correct temp, or how long, but I'm sure someone here can chime in on that.) Bugs won't "appear" because of the plants though, it was most definitely brought in with the soil.

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    11 years ago

zoomed in on map - I lied, I am on the border of 5 and 6A so will call myself a 6A.

• don555
    11 years ago

Even zone 6 with some added fall protection, I'm still amazed you could get habaneros to fruit from direct-planted seed. Did you pick them green, or did they actually mature to orange/red?

The flies were dark-winged fungus gnats. I hate those things. Once you get them, they are soon in every pot in the house (except cactus). The larvae eat fungus and plant roots and a bad infestation can really stunt your plants. Don't seem a problem outdoors, I guess the predator insects keep them in check.

If you don't have much room indoors, why don't you try planting your seeds a month early in a sunny window? They will be tiny when it is warm enough to put them outdoors, but you will at least have a month's head-start. Plant a few extra seeds beside them when you plant them outside, just in case the transplants don't take you will at least then still have plants direct from seed.

• uncle_t
    11 years ago

I live in Markham, Ontario. I have experienced volunteer tomato seedlings that have come to fruition late in season, but never peppers. That would require some amazing micro-climate--like a rock garden with a full southern exposure.....and cloches.

^_^ ...o_0

• CanadianLori
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well somehow I managed. Habaneros were a first for me last year. I planted one set and thought I had somehow screwed. I had originally had river stones on top of the soil to keep the squirrels from digging. After 10 days, I wasn't patient and removed the stones then dug down in the dirt- ther were sprouts- stupid me, disturbed just enough to kill the sprouts, so had to try again. second try. Not a big crop but I did wait until they started turning. I'm going to say orangy red not really crimson.. But also know that I built that rickety quasi greenhouse. I built it so that it breaks down and can be laid flat, so I will attempt to take pics and upload. Probably not worth the view however I truly believe that it prolonged things. I have been crossing over the border and purchasing milk in the big jugs for my grandkids with the proviso that I get the empty jugs. I will use them to supply "solar" heating.
    I'm going to be a newbie forever, but am soo much enjoying trysies!

Sponsored