Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peps22

SLOW seedling growth

peps22
10 years ago

I planted these cayenne seeds on 2/23. I use jiffy plastic seed trays and the the jiffy seed starter mix.

This is the first year I've used a T5 growlight setup. I used to put the seedlings in the window, but they got very leggy due to reaching for distant light.

This cayenne popped out around March 1. That makes it about 35 days out of the ground. It has dropped its seed leaves. What you see is the first true set of leaves and it looks very robust. Problem is, the second set of leaves is taking FOREVER to develop. I feel the first set of leaves keep getting bigger but the second set is just taking a long time. All the other plants pretty much look like this.

Also note that little root nodes are poking out of the base of the plant.

Am I way behind at this point?

Comments (21)

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

I think you are fine, as they are Cayenne and will take off real soon. However, it looks to me that you are over watering as your medium looks real wet.

Bill

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had just watered it. These cells dry out really quickly, more so than i remember in previous years. I have a new apartment and I think it is very dry air in here.

• don555
    10 years ago

I agree that is much too slow. I don't really know what the problem might be though -- not enough light, lack of nutrients, too cold? Maybe someone else has a better suggestion...

I'm not growing Cayenne, but am growing Matchbox, which is another C. annum hot pepper, so the early growth should probably be similar. I planted on March 9 -- here they are on March 26 and again 12 days later on April 7. If yours have been out of the ground for three times longer, then that certainly does seem awfully slow. I hope you can figure out why.

March 26
    {{gwi:1161616}}

April 7
    {{gwi:1161618}}

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Yes, that is slow. The picture is of my Aji Pinepples which were started 4 days before yours and are naturally slower growing than any of my C. annums. I think the Jiffy mix doesn't have any fertilizer in it? Also, check the roots on one to see if you are losing them. It also looks to me like overwatering, perhaps in combo with cold temperatures, though I am looking at the plants when I say that, not the soil. Cheers!

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The temperature in the apartment probably never goes over 72-73 degrees... do you think thats the issue? i'd rather not spend more $ to heat a 1000 sq foot apartment just for my peppers. I dont see the ambient temps changing inside until the outside temps start to climb here. Its been a cold spring.

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the description of the jiffy seed mix I used:

"Sterile, Scientifically blended, Lightly fertilized"

What do you suggest i use to give them a jump start? I'd rather not put them in new dirt until they go outside in may. Can I use liquid fertilzer dissolved in water?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Your temps are fine. I grow mine in the basement and its cooler than our main floor. I would make sure you don't over water and when you fertilize don't over do it, wait for signs of improvements usually a week or so. You may want to wait until the soil dries some before watering in the ferts.

Mark

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks hab - any suggestions on what fert to use

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I use MG or Alaska fish fert 5-1-1. I have not as of yet fertilized but I use MG Orchid mix and mix with MG Organic choice. But those are my go to ferts I listed later in the season.

Here are my basement dwellers as of today

Mark

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

Jiffy mix is meant just for germination. I would transplant to a growing mix and start fertilizing. My jalapenos started March 3 under T5 lights are 3 inches tall with four sets of true leaves. They are in 5-1-1 in 4X4X5 inch pots. I've fertilized with weak fish & seaweed emulsion twice.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Habajolokia: Those are perfect looking specimens...And they match your floor. What soil do you use to start your seeds?
    Bruce

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree with the need to fertilize however it does not seem prudent to uproot the plants into new pots now if I'm going to do so outside in 40 days or so anyway. That's why I was wondering if there was a liquid alternative.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Hi Bruce, similar to you the MG Orchid mix along with MG Organic Choice, a little extra perlite. When I pot up I use the same mix but throw in bonemeal at that time so it's useable down the road when they will need it. I use the Espoma brand as its almost a fine powder. I use floro lights a grow lux and a cool white both T12 none are 6500K one is in the 4000 range and the other 3900 I think, but I know for sure none are 6500k as some recommend to use. I use tap water that has sat in an open container for at least 24 hrs and top water. At this point no additional ferts just what comes with the MG mix.

Here is a pic to see the container and the size of the peppers.

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 7:42

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Peps22, use MG in liquid form, a light dose to get them going. Be sure first to let you soil dry out first. A week or so after you should see some improvements.

Mark

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yes, let the soil dry out, but don't fertilize a dry plant.
    Pre-water to moisten the mix uniformly, then apply liquid fertilizer.

Josh

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx for all the replies. Once the soil is dry, i was thinking of adding the liquid fert to the spray bottle I'm currently using to water them (plants are still small). Will that suffice to pre-water/moisten the plant?

10 years ago

A spray bottle? No, that won't thoroughly saturate the mix. You want the soil completely soaked, then apply the liquid fertilizer, then let the soil dry out again before repeating the process.

Josh

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Don't try foliar feeding - it doesn't work on these plants. No spray bottle.

Also, the recommended fert ratio is 3:1:2. (or a multiple like 24:8:16)

• peps22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm confused - don't you dissolve the fertilizer in the water? So aren't you soaking the soil and fertilizing at the same time?

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

try putting them under 4100k bulbs (cool white). I have been trying all 3 this season. Plant bulbs, 6500k, and 4100k. Both straight and mixed. For seedlings, the straight cool white is blowing the others away. So big a difference that i just bought a case of bulbs and will be changing all of mine tonight after work. You will notice a huge difference in less than a week. John

10 years ago

The fertigating solution has a certain concentration.
    I'm suggesting that you get the mix moist without concentration first, then fertigate. This helps mitigate potential fertilizer burn, particularly when fertilizing dry plants.

Josh

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists